Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
Claire
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Post by Claire » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:07 am

Chapabel wrote:
SEG wrote:How hard would it be to track down the disciples that always were with Jesus? Why would Paul go and spend 3 years in Africa instead of going directly back to Jerusalem to find out everything he could about his Christ? In Galatians 1:17, Paul claims he did not go to Jerusalem immediately, but rather he went to Arabia for a period of time before returning to Damascus.
Many theologians believe Paul took this time as a spiritual retreat in order to reconcile his knowledge of the OT scriptures with his new knowledge of Jesus Christ.
You've said non-Biblical sources aren't credible solely because they aren't mentioned in the Bible, and have called people who reference non-Biblical sources heretics. Are these theologians mentioned in the Bible? No, right? So, why did you bring up what some theologians think?
Claire wrote:
Chapabel wrote:I would love to discuss different beliefs with various believers. What I meant was I don't antagonize other's beliefs. I don't go to Muslim forums and mock their beliefs. If a Muslim or Hindu were to join our community I would love some lively discussion about another religion.
You would love some lively discussion with a Muslim or Hindu? Before that statement you made this one,
I spend zero time in discussion with Muslims concerning the Koran. I reject the teachings of Islam so I don't waste time discussing it.
What you would love is to show/tell others how wrong/stupid they are, and how you're right and superior, etc. Is that what you consider a "lively discussion"? All you would have to offer is,

"Non-believers, non-Baptist Christians, and people of other religions are my enemies, and are going to bust down the gates of hell when they die, and will send others there because their beliefs don't align with mine. Also, non-biblical sources are automatically uncredible". And, if people asked you questions about your beliefs you either wouldn't answer at all, or just say "If you understood the basics of the Bible you'd know what I'm talking about". I would know because you've said all those dark words, and worse, to me, a self-proclaiming Christian.

A Christian, Muslim, Hindu, etc, couldn't have a discussion with you because you don't allow for one. You're delusional if you think someone can have a productive discussion with someone like that.
Chapabel wrote:I would like to ask questions and see their perspective concerning various religious topics.
Just so you can show/tell others how wrong/stupid they are, and how you're right and superior, etc. You have described anyone who doesn't have the same beliefs/experiences as you as people who are wrong, going to bust down the gates of hell when they die, and are leading others to hell, etc. You may as well skip the foreplay, and just get to screwing them over by telling them how evil and stupid they are, then before you leave tell them they'll be in your prayers.

And, when you've asked questions about your beliefs you often either wouldn't answer at all, or just say "If you understood the basics of the Bible you'd know what I'm talking about", and other condescending/dark comments.

User avatar
Chapabel
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Post by Chapabel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Moonwood the Hare wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:47 am
Chapabel wrote: Many theologians believe Paul took this time as a spiritual retreat in order to reconcile his knowledge of the OT scriptures with his new knowledge of Jesus Christ.
I believe this suggestion was first made by St. Jerome. Martin Luther challenges him,saying that he was preaching the gospel. I can't remember where Luther says that;could be the commentary on Galatians but might be Table Talk or even Bondage of the Will. I know he berates Jerome for making too much of this spiritual retreat idea.
I believe both views could be reconciled. It is highly possible that Paul was both preaching and learning at the same time. Many students in seminary and Bible college hold positions in church, including pastoring. We have a young man in our church who is 17 and he has been preaching Jesus for almost two years now. Once he graduates from high school he is planning on attending Bible college. I'm pretty sure he will continue to preach while he's in school.

User avatar
Chapabel
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Post by Chapabel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Claire wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:20 am
Chapabel wrote:Oh well, in the meantime I can play with atheists and ignore fake Christians.
You can't reconcile the problems in your beliefs, so you say the problem is me, and put me on ignore, and use that as an excuse to not look incapable.
I have no problem reconciling my beliefs. That is why I challenged you to a formal debate. It is you who hides behind your computer and makes excuses for not debating me. I have not put you on ignore either. I see everything you post. I just choose not to get involved in your false, unsubstantiated theology. So until you agree to debate me and have your unBiblical beliefs exposed, I will continue to overlook your posts with the exception of these brief reminders that you are a fake Christian.

Claire
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Post by Claire » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:20 pm

.
Last edited by Claire on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Post by SEG » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Chapabel wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:15 pm

I find it quite puzzling that since you don't believe in the stories and teachings of the Bible why you spend so much time trying to refute and debunk it. For instance, I spend zero time in discussion with Muslims concerning the Koran. I reject the teachings of Islam so I don't waste time discussing it. Just like I don't discuss and debate with those who claim to have been abducted by aliens. You, however, spend a lot of time mocking and criticizing Christians and our beliefs. I just wonder who, exactly, you are trying to convince.
I'll never convince Christians like you that have been constantly indoctrinated for years about the fiction and outright lies in the Bible. Despite all evidence to the contrary, people like you will still believe that Jesus and Peter walked on raging waters of the Sea of Galilee after 9 hours of travel, even though it's a small lake and everything in that story stolen from pagan myths is impossible. I'm just curious to know how you justify lies like that for the benefit of others sitting on the fence and to confront people like you with the insanity when it affects government decisions that impacts my life. The only reason I don't target other crazy beliefs is that they don't do it as much in our society, otherwise I would too.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

Claire
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Post by Claire » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 pm

.
Last edited by Claire on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Post by SEG » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Moonwood the Hare wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm
Chapabel wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:09 pm
I find it quite puzzling that since you don't believe in the stories and teachings of the Bible why you spend so much time trying to refute and debunk it. For instance, I spend zero time in discussion with Muslims concerning the Koran. I reject the teachings of Islam so I don't waste time discussing it. Just like I don't discuss and debate with those who claim to have been abducted by aliens. You, however, spend a lot of time mocking and criticizing Christians and our beliefs. I just wonder who, exactly, you are trying to convince.
I think this is largely a matter of temperament. I remember years ago when I was at College there was a religious studies lecturer who was a Christian but had specialized in the study of Hinduism and some of the people in the Christian Union found that baffling. Some Christians are very narrow in their interests but curiously they will read books by other Christians telling them what to think about the books they would never read or the people they would never talk to. I find that odd. On the other hand I think SEG is largely interested in winding Christians up. I get the feeling that when he reads of some new idea or theory about Christian origins, the question "could that be true?" is the last thing on his mind, or else he would make some minimal checks before proclaiming his new discovery. I suspect that what he asks when he comes across some new idea is, how much will this annoy Christians.
My aim isn't to annoy Christians, it's more like getting them to confront their hypocrisy and lies. You are a prime example, though you are a little easier to talk to than Chappy or Claire.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

Claire
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Post by Claire » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:55 pm

.
Last edited by Claire on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Claire
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Post by Claire » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:07 am

.
Last edited by Claire on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Moonwood the Hare
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Re: Saul Must Have Been a Terrible Persecutor

Post by Moonwood the Hare » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 am

SEG wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 pm
I'll never convince Christians like you that have been constantly indoctrinated for years about the fiction and outright lies in the Bible. Despite all evidence to the contrary, people like you will still believe that Jesus and Peter walked on raging waters of the Sea of Galilee after 9 hours of travel, even though it's a small lake and everything in that story stolen from pagan myths is impossible. I'm just curious to know how you justify lies like that for the benefit of others sitting on the fence and to confront people like you with the insanity when it affects government decisions that impacts my life. The only reason I don't target other crazy beliefs is that they don't do it as much in our society, otherwise I would too.
Here's my problem with this. You claim to have superior evidence and reasoning on your side yet you frequently get your facts wrong in very silly ways and you cannot construct a coherent argument. You talk about indoctrination in childhood but when I have I challenged you on the beliefs you picked up in childhood you get very defensive and clam up. You claim that Christians are not familiar with the arguments presented by atheists but steadfastly refuse to read books by Christian scholars. When you come across an argument or claim that fits your agenda you present it as fact but make no effort to check its truth or validity. When asked to defend your own self serving political views you have resorted to distortions, baseless claims, weak arguments and professions of ignorance. In order to get support for your own anti-religious views you have trawled for material from hard right websites with seemingly little awareness that you are promoting the views of extremists. If you are the shining example of a rational atheist then thanks, but no thanks.

Post Reply