The Stupid Concept of Hell

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
User avatar
SEG
Posts: 1497
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: The Stupid Concept of Hell

Post by SEG » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 am

Claire wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:36 am
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Well, because you choose to live a charitable life, that means you choose a life of love over hate, good over evil. If you continue to do so, and have remorse/repent for when you feel you've thought or done something wrong, all with sincerity, you'll go to Heaven.
One man's Heaven is another man's Hell.
If Heaven exists, which depictions of it do you believe to be likely and why?
If Heaven exists there would be no need for breathing, eating, drinking or any other human bodily function. Minds don't exist apart from physical brains, so there would be no need for thinking either. So a depiction would be a black silent void where all sensations are muted. That's what I look forward to when I draw my last breath. That's why it is so important to make the brief time we have here enjoyable for ourselves and the people we care about.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

Claire
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: The Stupid Concept of Hell

Post by Claire » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:11 am

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Well, because you choose to live a charitable life, that means you choose a life of love over hate, good over evil. If you continue to do so, and have remorse/repent for when you feel you've thought or done something wrong, all with sincerity, you'll go to Heaven.
One man's Heaven is another man's Hell.
You haven't been to Heaven yet, so why do you say it would be hellish?

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 1497
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: The Stupid Concept of Hell

Post by SEG » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:59 am

Claire wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:11 am
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Well, because you choose to live a charitable life, that means you choose a life of love over hate, good over evil. If you continue to do so, and have remorse/repent for when you feel you've thought or done something wrong, all with sincerity, you'll go to Heaven.
One man's Heaven is another man's Hell.
You haven't been to Heaven yet, so why do you say it would be hellish?
Eternal anything would become boring, useless and hellish after a while. Enough is enough.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

Claire
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: The Stupid Concept of Hell

Post by Claire » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:32 am

Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Well, because you choose to live a charitable life, that means you choose a life of love over hate, good over evil. If you continue to do so, and have remorse/repent for when you feel you've thought or done something wrong, all with sincerity, you'll go to Heaven.
One man's Heaven is another man's Hell.
You haven't been to Heaven yet, so why do you say it would be hellish?
SEG wrote:Eternal anything would become boring, useless and hellish after a while. Enough is enough.
You haven't experienced physical death and been to Heaven yet, but do you think it would be hellish? Why do you say eternal life in itself would be hellish when it'd be how or where one spends eternal life that reveals whether or not the situation would be hellish. And, you haven't experienced physical death and discovered where your choices on this Earth reveal where you'll continue to spend eternal life yet.

I understand when contemplating the idea of eternal life it's daunting. Especially when human beings are accustomed to a temporal existence. I wouldn't be surprised if there's people who despite believing in an eternal life, still undergo physical death without having been able to fully conceive the idea of it, due to their inability to do so. I'll be brief and say what helps me is in my hope of continuing to spend eternal life with God I would be in the presence of a God who can do marvelous works, has abilities, ideas, and a capacity to love that surpasses my ability to imagine. Even the minute and significant inner and outer workings behind everything I am aware of is beyond my capability. With such a God I could never be bored or made useless, and I'd be content were it just He and I. But, by God's grace, I also live in the hope of spending and sharing eternal life with family, friends, and so on.

So, for me, while contemplating how I might experience physical death brings about anxiety and sadness because of how others would be affected, I'm also filled with peace and excitement, because of the hope of where I'm going, and knowing that the physical pain and separation between me and those I love is temporary.
Last edited by Claire on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 1497
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: The Stupid Concept of Hell

Post by SEG » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 am

Claire wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:32 am
So, for me, while contemplating how I might experience physical death brings about anxiety and sadness because of how others would be affected, I'm also filled with peace and excitement, because of the hope of where I'm going, and knowing that the physical pain and separation between me and those I love is temporary.
Lovely thoughts, but there is no evidence the mind can survive brain death and there is evidence that it can't. Even if your mind could survive, there would be no need for any bodily functions and no point in doing anything at all after a while. Being one with the universe for eternity is something everyone gets to experience sooner or later. Make the most of life here, you won't get a second chance!
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

Claire
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: The Stupid Concept of Hell

Post by Claire » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:44 pm

Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Well, because you choose to live a charitable life, that means you choose a life of love over hate, good over evil. If you continue to do so, and have remorse/repent for when you feel you've thought or done something wrong, all with sincerity, you'll go to Heaven.
One man's Heaven is another man's Hell.
You haven't been to Heaven yet, so why do you say it would be hellish?
SEG wrote:Eternal anything would become boring, useless and hellish after a while. Enough is enough.
Claire wrote:You haven't experienced physical death and been to Heaven yet, but do you think it would be hellish? Why do you say eternal life in itself would be hellish when it'd be how or where one spends eternal life that reveals whether or not the situation would be hellish. And, you haven't experienced physical death and discovered where your choices on this Earth reveal where you'll continue to spend eternal life yet.

I understand when contemplating the idea of eternal life it's daunting. Especially when human beings are accustomed to a temporal existence. I wouldn't be surprised if there's people who despite believing in an eternal life, still undergo physical death without having been able to fully conceive the idea of it, due to their inability to do so. I'll be brief and say what helps me is in my hope of continuing to spend eternal life with God I would be in the presence of a God who can do marvelous works, has abilities, ideas, and a capacity to love that surpasses my ability to imagine. Even the minute and significant inner and outer workings behind everything I am aware of is beyond my capability. With such a God I could never be bored or made useless, and I'd be content were it just He and I. But, by God's grace, I also live in the hope of spending and sharing eternal life with family, friends, and so on.

So, for me, while contemplating how I might experience physical death brings about anxiety and sadness because of how others would be affected, I'm also filled with peace and excitement, because of the hope of where I'm going, and knowing that the physical pain and separation between me and those I love is temporary.
SEG wrote:Lovely thoughts, but there is no evidence the mind can survive brain death and there is evidence that it can't. Even if your mind could survive, there would be no need for any bodily functions and no point in doing anything at all after a while. Being one with the universe for eternity is something everyone gets to experience sooner or later. Make the most of life here, you won't get a second chance!
You can speculate and believe what others surmise will take place after physical death, but you haven't experienced physical death yet. Anyway, as I said, live a charitable life with sincerity, and you'll continue to live in Heaven.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 1497
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: The Stupid Concept of Hell

Post by SEG » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:09 am

Claire wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:44 pm

You can speculate and believe what others surmise will take place after physical death, but you haven't experienced physical death yet.
No, but what makes you think that we are different from every other thing alive on Earth? Bacterium and insects like ants are much more common than humans, and can live in many places were humans can't exist. Why do your think that your god prefers them and if so, why don't they get a crack at Heaven?
Anyway, as I said, live a charitable life with sincerity, and you'll continue to live in Heaven.
My version: Live a charitable life with sincerity, be kind to others and you'll continue to live graciously on Earth.

I'm even kind to Chappy, as I give him a virtual uppercut every time he makes stupid assumptions here.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

Claire
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: The Stupid Concept of Hell

Post by Claire » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:56 am

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:You can speculate and believe what others surmise will take place after physical death, but you haven't experienced physical death yet.
No, but what makes you think that we are different from every other thing alive on Earth? Bacterium and insects like ants are much more common than humans, and can live in many places were humans can't exist. Why do your think that your god prefers them and if so, why don't they get a crack at Heaven?
Who says they won't be in Heaven?
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Anyway, as I said, live a charitable life with sincerity, and you'll continue to live in Heaven.
My version: Live a charitable life with sincerity, be kind to others and you'll continue to live graciously on Earth.
That's true too. I was just explaining where a person will continue to live after physical death, if they live a sincere, charitable life on Earth.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 1497
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: The Stupid Concept of Hell

Post by SEG » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Claire wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:56 am
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:You can speculate and believe what others surmise will take place after physical death, but you haven't experienced physical death yet.
No, but what makes you think that we are different from every other thing alive on Earth? Bacterium and insects like ants are much more common than humans, and can live in many places were humans can't exist. Why do your think that your god prefers them and if so, why don't they get a crack at Heaven?
Who says they won't be in Heaven?
You believe in an ant heaven?
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

Claire
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: The Stupid Concept of Hell

Post by Claire » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:18 pm

Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:You can speculate and believe what others surmise will take place after physical death, but you haven't experienced physical death yet.
No, but what makes you think that we are different from every other thing alive on Earth? Bacterium and insects like ants are much more common than humans, and can live in many places were humans can't exist. Why do your think that your god prefers them and if so, why don't they get a crack at Heaven?
Who says they won't be in Heaven?
SEG wrote:You believe in an ant heaven?
I believe there's one Heaven. Why would there be multiple?

Post Reply