Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
Claire
Posts: 1364
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by Claire » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:59 pm

SEG wrote:So you do think stoning was a just punishment. Your god can do no wrong, even when he prescibes the cruelest of punishments. That is sick thinking.
Death is just for those unrepentant of their sins against God. And, while the Law says adulterers and adulteresses are to be put to death, it doesn't say God will not extend mercy. God is slow to anger, and full of mercy (Numbers 14:18). Jesus was merciful first by giving the guilty woman time, and the possibility to arrive at repentance and holiness, if she wished to reached them. However, you say Jesus should've stoned her to death. It would've been justice, because He could've, but it would not have been mercy.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 2143
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by SEG » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 pm

If death is just for those unrepentant of their sins against God, and this was the situation, why didn't he stone her? There was no evidence that she was repentant.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire
Posts: 1364
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by Claire » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:46 am

SEG wrote:If death is just for those unrepentant of their sins against God, and this was the situation, why didn't he stone her? There was no evidence that she was repentant.
While the Law says adulterers and adulteresses should be put to death, it doesn't say God can't be merciful. The adulterous woman brought before Jesus wasn't saved from death in that moment because she was repentant, she was unrepentant. Some think forgiveness is to be granted to those who ask for it. Oh! If God should only forgive those who ask to be forgiven! And, strike at those who don't repent after sinning! Have you never felt you had been forgiven before repenting? Now, Jesus did not say to her what He said to those whom He had forgiven because they were fully repentant, because as I said, she was unrepentant. However, He gave her time, and the possibility to arrive at repentance and holiness, if she wished to reach them. God is slow to anger, and full of mercy (Numbers 14:18).

You say Jesus should've stoned her to death in that moment. It would've been justice because she sinned, and was unrepentant, and He could've, but it would not have been mercy.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 2143
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by SEG » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Stop putting words in my mouth!
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 2143
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by SEG » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:16 pm

If God is slow to anger, and full of mercy, why did he turn Lot's wife quickly to salt without mercy?
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire
Posts: 1364
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by Claire » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:39 pm

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:You say Jesus should've stoned her to death in that moment. It would've been justice because she sinned, and was unrepentant, and He could've, but it would not have been mercy.
Stop putting words in my mouth!
You need to understand there's more than one way to say something.
SEG wrote:If God is slow to anger, and full of mercy, why did he turn Lot's wife quickly to salt without mercy?
Before we move on to that, was Jesus merciful to the adulterous woman by giving her time, and the possibility to arrive at repentance and holiness, if she wished to reach them?

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 2143
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by SEG » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:16 pm

Claire wrote:Before we move on to that, was Jesus merciful to the adulterous woman by giving her time, and the possibility to arrive at repentance and holiness, if she wished to reach them?
That's like asking was Hitler merciful by giving Jews time. You are ignoring the horrors of Jesus and Hitler as the originators of the huge amounts of suffering that they were responsible for in the first place. Did Jesus make up the stoning laws as his alter ego God? This is a yes or no question, and if you can't or won't answer it, this discussion is done.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire
Posts: 1364
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by Claire » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:10 pm

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Before we move on to that, was Jesus merciful to the adulterous woman by giving her time, and the possibility to arrive at repentance and holiness, if she wished to reach them?
That's like asking was Hitler merciful by giving Jews time. You are ignoring the horrors of Jesus and Hitler as the originators of the huge amounts of suffering that they were responsible for in the first place. Did Jesus make up the stoning laws as his alter ego God? This is a yes or no question, and if you can't or won't answer it, this discussion is done.
Before we move on to that, I asked for your opinion of a specific act by Jesus: the adulterous woman brought before Him sinned and was unrepentant, so it would've been justice if she was put to death, and He could've. However, Jesus gave her time, and the possibility to arrive at repentance and holiness, if she wished to reach them, rather than put her to death without the opportunity. How is that act not merciful?

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 2143
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by SEG » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:54 am

Because he made that cruel law in the first place. Now could you answer my yes or no question?
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire
Posts: 1364
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by Claire » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:26 am

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Before we move on to that, I asked for your opinion of a specific act by Jesus: the adulterous woman brought before Him sinned and was unrepentant, so it would've been justice if she was put to death, and He could've. However, Jesus gave her time, and the possibility to arrive at repentance and holiness, if she wished to reach them, rather than put her to death without the opportunity. How is that act not merciful?
Because he made that cruel law in the first place.
That doesn't answer the question. How is the act of giving her time, and the possibility to arrive at repentance and holiness, if she wished to reach them, rather than put her to death, not merciful?

Post Reply