Page 1 of 12

God's Wife Asherah

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:48 am
by searchengineguy
Some more of God's imagined family history for the history/myth buffs. So not only did God have a daddy, see:
Deuteronomy 32:8-9 New International Version (NIV)
8 When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,
when he divided all mankind,
he set up boundaries for the peoples
according to the number of the sons of Israel.[a]
9 For the Lord’s portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted inheritance.
and http://contradictionsinthebible.com/are ... -same-god/
- he also had a missus! This reeks of polytheism, but is still interesting.
God had a wife, Asherah, whom the Book of Kings suggests was worshipped alongside Yahweh in his temple in Israel, according to an Oxford scholar.

In 1967, Raphael Patai was the first historian to mention that the ancient Israelites worshipped both Yahweh and Asherah. The theory has gained new prominence because of the research of Francesca Stavrakopoulou, who began her work at Oxford and is now a senior lecturer in the department of Theology and Religion at the University of Exeter.

Information presented in Stavrakopoulou's books, lectures and journal papers has become the basis of a three-part documentary series, now airing in Europe, where she discusses the Yahweh-Asherah connection.

"You might know him as Yahweh, Allah or God. But on this fact, Jews, Muslims and Christians, the people of the great Abrahamic religions, are agreed: There is only one of Him," writes Stavrakopoulou in a statement released to the British media. "He is a solitary figure, a single, universal creator, not one God among many ... or so we like to believe.

"After years of research specializing in the history and religion of Israel, however, I have come to a colorful and what could seem, to some, uncomfortable conclusion that God had a wife."

Stavrakopoulou bases her theory on ancient texts, amulets and figurines unearthed primarily in the ancient Canaanite coastal city called Ugarit, now modern-day Syria. All of these artifacts reveal that Asherah was a powerful fertility goddess.

Asherah's connection to Yahweh, according to Stavrakopoulou, is spelled out in both the Bible and an 8th-century B.C. inscription on pottery found in the Sinai desert at a site called Kuntillet Ajrud.

"The inscription is a petition for a blessing," she shares. "Crucially, the inscription asks for a blessing from 'Yahweh and his Asherah.' Here was evidence that presented Yahweh and Asherah as a divine pair. And now a handful of similar inscriptions have since been found, all of which help to strengthen the case that the God of the Bible once had a wife."

Also significant, Stavrakopoulou believes, "is the Bible's admission that the goddess Asherah was worshiped in Yahweh's Temple in Jerusalem. In the Book of Kings, we're told that a statue of Asherah was housed in the temple and that female temple personnel wove ritual textiles for her."

J. Edward Wright, president of both The Arizona Center for Judaic Studies and The Albright Institute for Archaeological Research, told Discovery News that he agrees several Hebrew inscriptions mention "Yahweh and his Asherah."

"Asherah was not entirely edited out of the Bible by its male editors," he added. "Traces of her remain, and based on those traces, archaeological evidence and references to her in texts from nations bordering Israel and Judah, we can reconstruct her role in the religions of the Southern Levant."

Asherah — known across the ancient Near East by various other names, such as Astarte and Istar — was "an important deity, one who was both mighty and nurturing," Wright continued.


"Many English translations prefer to translate 'Asherah' as 'Sacred Tree,'" Wright said. "This seems to be in part driven by a modern desire, clearly inspired by the biblical narratives, to hide Asherah behind a veil once again."

"Mentions of the goddess Asherah in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) are rare and have been heavily edited by the ancient authors who gathered the texts together," Aaron Brody, director of the Bade Museum and an associate professor of Bible and archaeology at the Pacific School of Religion, said.

Asherah as a tree symbol was even said to have been "chopped down and burned outside the Temple in acts of certain rulers who were trying to 'purify' the cult, and focus on the worship of a single male god, Yahweh," he added.

The ancient Israelites were polytheists, Brody told Discovery News, "with only a small minority worshiping Yahweh alone before the historic events of 586 B.C." In that year, an elite community within Judea was exiled to Babylon and the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed. This, Brody said, led to "a more universal vision of strict monotheism: one god not only for Judah, but for all of the nations."

Re: God's Wife Asherah

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:32 am
by JTH
I’m sorry, searchengineguy, “your” conclusion based on these two articles is...??
And How is Deuteronomy 32: 8-9 related to the latter article?

Re: God's Wife Asherah

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:38 pm
by Chapabel
JTH wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:32 am
I’m sorry, searchengineguy, “your” conclusion based on these two articles is...??
And How is Deuteronomy 32: 8-9 related to the latter article?
Just a word of advice about SEG...he's just an atheist hack who is incapable of intelligent debate. He's a cheap cut-and-paster. He is a liar, he's dishonest and just plain ignorant. Any time spent in debate or discussion with him is a huge waste of time. I wouldn't throw any pearls his way because he is a hateful fool.

Re: God's Wife Asherah

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:18 pm
by Moonwood the Hare
Chapabel wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:38 pm
Just a word of advice about SEG...he's just an atheist hack who is incapable of intelligent debate. He's a cheap cut-and-paster. He is a liar, he's dishonest and just plain ignorant. Any time spent in debate or discussion with him is a huge waste of time. I wouldn't throw any pearls his way because he is a hateful fool.
I find him facinating. His knowledge of Christianity comes almost entirely from arguments against it which he mostly discovers on the internet. He has a very vague idea of what Christians actually believe and he is very slow to take on board anything that differes from what he reads on these sites which are largely the work of partialy informed incompetents. As soon as you pull him away from his rather small patch of familiar ground he flounders hopelessly. I don't think he is self aware enough to actually be dishonest.

Re: God's Wife Asherah

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:42 pm
by Chapabel
Moonwood the Hare wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:18 pm
I find him facinating. His knowledge of Christianity comes almost entirely from arguments against it which he mostly discovers on the internet. He has a very vague idea of what Christians actually believe and he is very slow to take on board anything that differes from what he reads on these sites which are largely the work of partialy informed incompetents. As soon as you pull him away from his rather small patch of familiar ground he flounders hopelessly. I don't think he is self aware enough to actually be dishonest.
That is a very interesting take Moon. You may be correct. So if he isn’t self aware enough to be dishonest, what motivates him to constantly ignore truth? Why do you believe he constantly intertwines truth and fiction into some twisted idea that even he can’t defend?

Re: God's Wife Asherah

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 pm
by Moonwood the Hare
Chapabel wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:42 pm
That is a very interesting take Moon. You may be correct. So if he isn’t self aware enough to be dishonest, what motivates him to constantly ignore truth? Why do you believe he constantly intertwines truth and fiction into some twisted idea that even he can’t defend?
I think he gets a buzz out of winning arguments. Therefore he likes to present positions that prima facie will seem outrageous and he has prepared arguments for these positions. He is not that interested in the detail. So for example when he presents his position, as he did recently, that the leaders of the Roman Catholic Church in Nazi Germany were supporting the Nazis the point was to make a shot at Christians. Once it was becoming clear that the realities were much more complex than any simplistic argument would alow for, he started to shift ground but he never really grasped that his original argument had been undermined because as long as he could point to something the Christians did wrong he was still, from his perspective, winning. I once said to him, this was some years ago, that he had changed his argument and asked if that meant he conceded that his original argument had failed. He said that since he was keeping to the same conclusion his argument had not changed. So as long as he never budges from his original conclusion he will always believe he is winning the argument even after his reasoning has been shown to be spurious or his facts wrong.

Re: God's Wife Asherah

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:33 am
by Chapabel
So my comparison of him with the Black Knight from Monty Python’s Search for the Holy Grail was actually very accurate. As long as he thinks he’s winning the argument he will ignore facts and continue on his path. However, isn’t this a sign of some sort of mental illness? Pride will prevent me from conceding I am wrong, but only up to a point. Eventually when the facts are overwhelming I will admit when I am wrong. I’ve never seen SEG do this and admit he was wrong. Is it just stubborn pride or do believe there may be mental illness?

Re: God's Wife Asherah

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:11 am
by searchengineguy
JTH wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:32 am
I’m sorry, searchengineguy, “your” conclusion based on these two articles is...??
And How is Deuteronomy 32: 8-9 related to the latter article?
Hi JTH, welcome to the forum. "My" conclusion isn't just based on a couple of articles, polytheism in the Bible is pretty much well known by most biblical scholars. “Elyon”, translated “the Most High”, was probably the chief god or "father" of 70 gods including “Yahweh”.

Hector Avalos wrote that the oldest Hebrew version of Deuteronomy 32:8 states “sons of El” or “sons of Elohim” and that later editors, to hide the polytheism, translated into the Masoretic Hebrew Text and changed “gods” to “sons of Israel”. The second article is related by another revelation of polytheism in the Bible.

Re: God's Wife Asherah

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:19 am
by searchengineguy
Chapabel wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:38 pm
JTH wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:32 am
I’m sorry, searchengineguy, “your” conclusion based on these two articles is...??
And How is Deuteronomy 32: 8-9 related to the latter article?
Just a word of advice about SEG...he's just an atheist hack who is incapable of intelligent debate. He's a cheap cut-and-paster. He is a liar, he's dishonest and just plain ignorant. Any time spent in debate or discussion with him is a huge waste of time. I wouldn't throw any pearls his way because he is a hateful fool.
Just a word of advice about Chappy. When he is lost for words or a decent argument, he resorts to childish name-calling. He is all grown up but still has daddy issues and refers to himself as a "child" of God.

Re: God's Wife Asherah

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:36 am
by searchengineguy
Moonwood the Hare wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:18 pm
I find him facinating. His knowledge of Christianity comes almost entirely from arguments against it which he mostly discovers on the internet.
Now you know that's not true Moon. You should know by now that I have read dozens of books on the subject and even some well known Christian books.

What I HAVE noticed is that your spelling is going down hill. It used to be only an odd typo, but now nearly every post has multiple problems. Is it just sloppiness or are you rushing in with these weird ideas before checking what you post?
He has a very vague idea of what Christians actually believe and he is very slow to take on board anything that differes from what he reads on these sites which are largely the work of partialy informed incompetents. As soon as you pull him away from his rather small patch of familiar ground he flounders hopelessly. I don't think he is self aware enough to actually be dishonest.
Tch, tch. Which "partialy informed incompetents"?