Welcome back!

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
CanadianA

Re: Welcome back!

Post by CanadianA » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Oh for sure. It’s nothing fancy. I’m a late thirties Canadian father. I was raised catholic and questioned my faith in god around my mid 20s. But while I had a lite version of atheism for the last decade, it’s only been the last year that I’ve delved into the conversation or debate. I’ve found compelling arguments for the lack of a soul, absence of free will, morality independent of a god and I don’t see morality well framed in the bible.
I look forward to getting to know others in this forum.
Cheers.

SEG

Post by SEG » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:54 am

CanadianA wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 pm
Oh for sure. It’s nothing fancy. I’m a late thirties Canadian father. I was raised catholic and questioned my faith in god around my mid 20s. But while I had a lite version of atheism for the last decade, it’s only been the last year that I’ve delved into the conversation or debate. I’ve found compelling arguments for the lack of a soul, absence of free will, morality independent of a god and I don’t see morality well framed in the bible.
I look forward to getting to know others in this forum.
Cheers.
Thanks for sharing that. "I don’t see morality well framed in the bible" - me either!
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Jesus Raves

Post by Jesus Raves » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Wow. I had no idea Emery'd resurrected this old thing. Nice to see some of you are still around and kicking.

Keep the Reason

Post by Keep the Reason » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:29 pm

Jesus Raves wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:19 pm
Wow. I had no idea Emery'd resurrected this old thing. Nice to see some of you are still around and kicking.
Well look who it is! Welcome back. Kicking is right. But it's like only 3 of us for the time being, so mainly we're whiffing.

The good news is, we've accomplished some key items. The top 10 follow:

1. I tried responding to Claire and that went tit's up quickly soooo....I won't be doing that again.

2. One16unashamed came here, uttered some typically dunderheaded nonsense, and left.

3. Chapabel and Claire are back to their Bible Fight. Baptist vs Catholic. You know the drill.

4. I've been really hard on a newbie named SteveD who says he'll be "away for a couple of weeks" but I would bet he's gone forever.

5. Me and Chapabel tore into each other but right now... and I know this will be hard to believe -- we're being civil to one another. Apparently, demons are skiing down mountains of ice in Hell.

6. SEG's tormenting both the theists.

7. Moonwood was here and he seems to have bailed as well.

8. The rest of us probably need an intervention to keep us off this addiction.

9. Claire is posting that Poem Man-Dog crap again. Tedious. Boring. I'd say laughable but tedious and boring is more accurate.

10. Rian was here for a blip and has been silent ever since.

Claire

Post by Claire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:34 am

Keep the Reason wrote:I tried responding to Claire and that went tit's up quickly soooo....I won't be doing that again.
Because KTR made mountains out of mole hills. Again.
Keep the Reason wrote:Claire is posting that Poem Man-Dog crap again. Tedious. Boring. I'd say laughable but tedious and boring is more accurate.
And, you've never explained what you have against a volume of books you've read little to none of.

SEG

Post by SEG » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:08 am

Jesus Raves wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:19 pm
Hey, G'day JR! I got a year's suspension from the Australian Atheist site, so I'm here again. I prefer it actually, no moderation gives you the gift of free speech. I've been "resurrected" 8 times since you have been gone, thanks to my implantable defibrillator. No gods needed or required :mrgreen:
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.

Keep the Reason

Post by Keep the Reason » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:38 am

SEG wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:08 am
Hey, G'day JR! I got a year's suspension from the Australian Atheist site, so I'm here again. I prefer it actually, no moderation gives you the gift of free speech. I've been "resurrected" 8 times since you have been gone, thanks to my implantable defibrillator. No gods needed or required :mrgreen:
Wow, you beat Jesus' time by 5. He only did the kid, Lazzie, and himself.

Allegedly.

SEG

Post by SEG » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 am

Keep the Reason wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:38 am
SEG wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:08 am
Wow, you beat Jesus' time by 5. He only did the kid, Lazzie, and himself.

Allegedly.
Oh yeah baby! I out did Jeebus! My defib does "pacing" which it re-sets my irregular heart beats due to VT without me being aware of it doing its job. Its a titanium technical marvel that cost $62,000, but I didn't have to fork out a cent for as it is covered under my medical benefits scheme. In the last 12 months it has shocked me back into the world of the living 8 times, only once needing a trip to the hospital after giving me 3 massive jolts to re-set my heart back to normal rhythms. It is scary as all fuck when it discernibly jolts me, but it saves my life. If it wasn't for medical science, I would have been dead as a door nail (like Marley) in 2013.

I once asked my doctor, "what happens if I get to be 106 years old and get tired of living? Will this thing keep me going past this? He said at that advanced age your electrical system gets worse and no matter how much jolting you get, it won't you going again. Thank fuck for that!

Keep the Reason

Post by Keep the Reason » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:16 pm

It is literally impossible to calculate the number of needlessly dead people in America because of our horrific for-profit-only health industry.

What is astounding is the number of people who vote time and time and time again for leaders -- ALL of them conservative Republicans -- who outright say, "We're going to take away your healthcare because of those pickpockets who won't work for a living won't pay for theirs." Now, some percentage of such people who vote can pay for health care, but so many cannot. So they have wound up committing unintended suicide, or enforcing it for family members without realizing it.

For instance, I'm employed and my company pays for my healthcare. Yay for me. But I have family members, nieces and nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc as well as friends -- people I care about - who have been unemployed or are just poor (one of them works 2 jobs, but they are so low paying that they are still under the poverty level).

If I were someone like Chapabel, I'd vote for a guy like Trump who ran on ending "the evil Obamacare" (that and "build a wall" were his two MAIN drivers) and I would be effectively placing those friends and family members DIRECTLY into life threatening situations. I m not such a person. I actually can think beyond myself and the well being of those around me, even strangers. Especially when we look around the entire planet and see something working as successfully as universal healthcare. It works. It's not perfect, NOTHING is perfect, but it works MASSIVELY better and the USA stands alone as having the worst

The thing is, EVERYONE IS GOING TO GET SICK. Everyone. It's a fact and cannot be avoided. And here we have the worst possible people who gleefully pull the rug out from everyone -- in many cases, even themselves, but certainly some of the people most close to them.

And you know who is the worst of the worst? The evangelical Christians who, by the way, now support Trump at historic highs 75%! who are the ones who claim to worship a god who specifically directs them to take care of the sick, and weak, and the poor.

So they do exactly the opposite. And they wonder why they are labeled the hypocrite's hypocrites.

Ok, ok. Not the right thread, but I thought it important to reply to your story of universal healthcare.

Jesus Raves

Post by Jesus Raves » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Looks like everything is back to normal.