Welcome back!

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
Aaron

Re: Welcome back!

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:02 pm

SEG wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:12 am
Yes Aaron, it sure was breathtaking! Star gazing is perfect there too. Has the legalisation of marijuana there caused any problems? We were surprised to see people smoking openly in Alaska and also Las Vegas. I asked our taxi driver there the same question and if there were stoners stumbling around causing trouble? He said nothing had really changed, except a lot of kids weren't being sent to jail or facing stiff fines. Changing world, huh?
Not that I am much aware of. One of the first things I noticed is that pot wasn't really legal even though it was legal because most employers still kept their strict no drug rules, so even though you wouldn't get in trouble from the law you would still get fired from your job as it has always been, but who knows maybe that will change too, though it would be hard to get past the safety aspect I would imagine. As for any long term effects on society I suppose only time will tell. I would rather people choose to live a healthy lifestyle on their own, without being forced to do it by the law, I would rather people have peace and contentment in their heart so that they do not need to find releaf (get it? :D ) and feel the need to escape from the pressures of life using external influences. That's my heart on the issue.

SEG

Post by SEG » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 am

Aaron wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:02 pm
Not that I am much aware of. One of the first things I noticed is that pot wasn't really legal even though it was legal because most employers still kept their strict no drug rules, so even though you wouldn't get in trouble from the law you would still get fired from your job as it has always been, but who knows maybe that will change too, though it would be hard to get past the safety aspect I would imagine.

Good point. Drugs and alcohol shoulder never be in the workplace.

As for any long term effects on society I suppose only time will tell. I would rather people choose to live a healthy lifestyle on their own, without being forced to do it by the law, I would rather people have peace and contentment in their heart so that they do not need to find releaf (get it? :D ) and feel the need to escape from the pressures of life using external influences. That's my heart on the issue.
The only reservation I have about it is that they should have some sort of regulations on the strength of it and have better education on it at school level. Do you drink Aaron? I am guessing you don't. I have cut right back because of my heart issues and it wouldn't take much for me to give it up completely.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:37 am

SEG wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 am
The only reservation I have about it is that they should have some sort of regulations on the strength of it and have better education on it at school level. Do you drink Aaron? I am guessing you don't. I have cut right back because of my heart issues and it wouldn't take much for me to give it up completely.
I don't drink alcohol, it's a personal choice, I think in almost every case humans are better off without it, but that's just my view, I don't hold anything against someone who wants to drink and just relax and have a good time. I do think anything that is used to escape, whether it be video games, parties, shopping, drugs, alcohol, sex is not good for the person, I believe they would be better off taking the time and effort to find out why they feel the need to escape and try and work on that.

SEG

Post by SEG » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:48 am

Aaron wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:37 am
SEG wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 am
I don't drink alcohol, it's a personal choice, I think in almost every case humans are better off without it, but that's just my view, I don't hold anything against someone who wants to drink and just relax and have a good time. I do think anything that is used to escape, whether it be video games, parties, shopping, drugs, alcohol, sex is not good for the person, I believe they would be better off taking the time and effort to find out why they feel the need to escape and try and work on that.
Hmm, I don't drink to escape, I just like the feeling it gives me. I agree that there are some people that can't handle it and have problems with their family or work lives.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

stacie cook

Post by stacie cook » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi All! I had tried to login a few times and thought that my profile was deleted since I was not active for a while. Sad to hear about the old forum, but glad to see familiar names.
Cheers!
Uploading a pic for my avatar is way more complicated than it should be....

SEG

Post by SEG » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 pm

stacie cook wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:11 pm
Hi All! I had tried to login a few times and thought that my profile was deleted since I was not active for a while. Sad to hear about the old forum, but glad to see familiar names.
Cheers!
Hey hi Stacie! Great to hear from you again! Feel free to start another thread so we can have a chat.

Rian

Post by Rian » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:48 pm

Hi Stacie! That was so nice meeting you in Indiana :) Hope all is well - how are the kids?

NHBaritone

Post by NHBaritone » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Well, gee willikers! I had no idea until today that the Dynamic Duo of Doctrine & Doubt (or is it Pedantic Pairing of Piety & Perspicacity?) had returned to the inter-tubes! A belated "Hello, again!"

I'll spend some time catching up on the new(er) podcasts. I'm out of the habit, so I cannot guarantee that I'll be active on this forum, but let me at least leave this post that I'm aware you guys have begun a partial return.
If you are debating, try to reach a conclusion. But if you are simply discussing, try to reach out to the other person.

SEG

Post by SEG » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:14 pm

NHBaritone wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:52 pm
Well, gee willikers! I had no idea until today that the Dynamic Duo of Doctrine & Doubt (or is it Pedantic Pairing of Piety & Perspicacity?) had returned to the inter-tubes! A belated "Hello, again!"

I'll spend some time catching up on the new(er) podcasts. I'm out of the habit, so I cannot guarantee that I'll be active on this forum, but let me at least leave this post that I'm aware you guys have begun a partial return.
Hi there NHB! I think you were here before my time on the old forum, but I think you are an atheist? When you get time could you remind everyone of your life journey to being here?

NHBaritone

Post by NHBaritone » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:22 am

SEG wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:14 pm
Hi there NHB! I think you were here before my time on the old forum, but I think you are an atheist? When you get time could you remind everyone of your life journey to being here?
Preacher's kid. Religion major in college, plus 1 year in a protestant seminary.

Textual criticism of the Bible and study of other faiths placed them all in their social context and pointed toward the culture dictation of religions. Their logical inconsistencies and magical thinking don't really stand up in the modern context. My personal integrity became interwoven with saying, "We don't know that yet" instead of "God did it."

I am also gay and was pushed away from church by the ignorant rejection of gay people and the non-acknowledgement that folks have different experiences in life. Same-sex marriage was blocked almost entirely by the church. (It's acceptability has been accompanied by the reduction in the respect given to church teachings and officials; I don't think it could have happened in any other way. Witness the referendums recently in Ireland.) Church divisions, again a reflection of culture, have convinced me that the church more closely resembles hamburger meat than "the body of Christ," with each strand more supercilious than the one it left.

Faith in my tradition was to be based on scripture, tradition, reason, and experience. Using that as a rubric, I have found that faith offers nothing more than a socially sanctioned, placebo-based panacea that filters out genuine evidence and replaces it with fairy tales.
If you are debating, try to reach a conclusion. But if you are simply discussing, try to reach out to the other person.