Why God's Love is a Joke

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
User avatar
SEG
Posts: 2034
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Why God's Love is a Joke

Post by SEG » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Because the majority of the world's population aren't Christians. Only kidding, but it's a fun fact.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Why God's Love is a Joke

Post by Claire » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 pm

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:You believe non-believers go to Hell, if God exists, just because you think the majority of Christians want to see non-believers in Hell? No other reason than Argumentum ad populum? So, if the majority of the world's population are Christian, or at least religious, then why not believe God exists?
Because the majority of the world's population aren't Christians. Only kidding, but it's a fun fact.
If you aren't kidding, and think the majority of the world's population is Christian, or at least religious, then why not believe God exists?

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 2034
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Why God's Love is a Joke

Post by SEG » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:17 pm

The majority of the world's population aren't Christians. There are 2 billion Christians but 5 billion non-Christians. You guys are a minority.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Why God's Love is a Joke

Post by Claire » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:55 pm

SEG wrote:The majority of the world's population aren't Christians. There are 2 billion Christians but 5 billion non-Christians. You guys are a minority.
Christianity is the majority in terms of world population by religion. And, the majority of the world population is religious. So, why not believe a God exists? Since you use Argumentum ad populum to support your belief non-Christians are going to Hell, if God exists.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 2034
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Why God's Love is a Joke

Post by SEG » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 am

Claire wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:55 pm
SEG wrote:The majority of the world's population aren't Christians. There are 2 billion Christians but 5 billion non-Christians. You guys are a minority.
Christianity is the majority in terms of world population by religion. And, the majority of the world population is religious. So, why not believe a God exists? Since you use Argumentum ad populum to support your belief non-Christians are going to Hell, if God exists.
I'm only kidding Claire. In saying that, any god that has had thousands of years to convince the majority of the word of his existence and still hasn't has failed miserably.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Why God's Love is a Joke

Post by Claire » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:11 am

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:The majority of the world's population aren't Christians. There are 2 billion Christians but 5 billion non-Christians. You guys are a minority.
Christianity is the majority in terms of world population by religion. And, the majority of the world population is religious. So, why not believe a God exists? Since you use Argumentum ad populum to support your belief non-Christians are going to Hell, if God exists.
I'm only kidding Claire.
About what?
SEG wrote:In saying that, any god that has had thousands of years to convince the majority of the word of his existence and still hasn't has failed miserably.
God and human beings haven't been the only pieces in play on the board. There's also satan who works to cause disbelief, rejection of the evidence, etc, and often succeeds with people. But, God isn't going to force those people to accept the evidence for His existence.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 2034
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Why God's Love is a Joke

Post by SEG » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:43 am

Claire wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:11 am
Christianity is the majority in terms of world population by religion. And, the majority of the world population is religious. So, why not believe a God exists? Since you use Argumentum ad populum to support your belief non-Christians are going to Hell, if God exists.
SEG wrote:I'm only kidding Claire.
Claire wrote:About what?
Using Argumentum ad populum arguments like you.
SEG wrote:In saying that, any god that has had thousands of years to convince the majority of the word of his existence and still hasn't has failed miserably.
Claire wrote:God and human beings haven't been the only pieces in play on the board. There's also satan who works to cause disbelief, rejection of the evidence, etc, and often succeeds with people. But, God isn't going to force those people to accept the evidence for His existence.
I don't think Satan has ever had evidence for His existence.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Why God's Love is a Joke

Post by Claire » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:34 am

Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Christianity is the majority in terms of world population by religion. And, the majority of the world population is religious. So, why not believe a God exists? Since you use Argumentum ad populum to support your belief non-Christians are going to Hell, if God exists.
I'm only kidding Claire.
About what?
SEG wrote:Using Argumentum ad populum arguments...
Well, statements such as "Christians have got a long history of wanting to see non-believers in Hell" and "Ask any of the millions of Christians that DO want to see non-believers in Hell" sounds like you are using it.
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:God and human beings haven't been the only pieces in play on the board. There's also satan who works to cause disbelief, rejection of the evidence, etc, and often succeeds with people. But, God isn't going to force those people to accept the evidence for His existence.
I don't think Satan has ever had evidence for His existence.
Satan knows God exists, but he's not going to go out of His way to lead people to belief, when his agenda is to do the opposite.

User avatar
SEG
Posts: 2034
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Why God's Love is a Joke

Post by SEG » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:02 am

SEG wrote:I'm only kidding Claire.
Claire wrote:About what?
SEG wrote:Using Argumentum ad populum arguments...
Claire wrote:Well, statements such as "Christians have got a long history of wanting to see non-believers in Hell" and "Ask any of the millions of Christians that DO want to see non-believers in Hell" sounds like you are using it.
I'm not arguing ad populum that makes it true, I'm arguing that it is popular that Christians that DO want to see non-believers in Hell. That is the key difference.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: Why God's Love is a Joke

Post by Claire » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:30 am

Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Christianity is the majority in terms of world population by religion. And, the majority of the world population is religious. So, why not believe a God exists? Since you use Argumentum ad populum to support your belief non-Christians are going to Hell, if God exists.
I'm only kidding Claire.
About what?
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:Using Argumentum ad populum arguments...
Well, statements such as "Christians have got a long history of wanting to see non-believers in Hell" and "Ask any of the millions of Christians that DO want to see non-believers in Hell" sounds like you are using it.
I'm not arguing ad populum that makes it true, I'm arguing that it is popular that Christians that DO want to see non-believers in Hell. That is the key difference.
You weren't just blithely stating that there are a lot of Christians wanting to see non-believers in Hell without reason. You were using that point in the context of a hypothetical scenario involving which set of Christians you would find to be correct. You chose those who, like Chapabel, believe non-believers are going to Hell.

Post Reply