What were the earliest mentions of Christianity?

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
Claire

Re: What were the earliest mentions of Christianity?

Post by Claire » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 am

Chapabel wrote:
Claire wrote:You acknowledge out one side of your mouth that not everything is in the Bible, which is true, then out the other say you don't believe anything outside the Bible. How do you reconcile acknowledging there's more to know, and not believe anything outside the Bible? And, what kills me is if Maria Valtorta had lived thousands of years ago, and her writings were included in the compiling of the Bible, you wouldn't be condemning it right now. I'm not saying discernment is bad, or that you should believe every spiritual claim, but you have read little to none of it, and have already written it off as false. If you truly think not everything is in the Bible, and if you truly believe The Lord rose from the dead and is alive, then I hope you don't keep yourself closed off to the idea that He has spoken to people outside of those mentioned in the Bible, even to this day. And, those who He talks to will probably write down His words, and share with the world.
When I agreed that not everything is in the Bible, I mean not every situation we may come across is addressed in the Bible. For instance, our pastor down in Georgia related a story how the seminary did not prepare him for everything. At his first pastorate, which happened to be in Canada, a couple came to him wanting to know what to do about their daughter being pregnant...by their son. That specific issue is not addressed in the Bible. That is when we need to claim the promise found in John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Not every circumstance we face is specifically addressed in the Bible. But for those of us who are saved and have the Spirit of Christ alive in us, He will teach us what to do in these different situations. We don't need to read anything outside of the Bible for spiritual guidance. You should know this already, but your spiritual immaturity is hindering your understanding.
What if there was a mystic who claimed to have been directly told by God how to respond to an incestuous pregnancy, was commanded by Him to write it down, and share it with others?

Chapabel

Post by Chapabel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:05 pm

Claire wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 am
Chapabel wrote:
Claire wrote:You acknowledge out one side of your mouth that not everything is in the Bible, which is true, then out the other say you don't believe anything outside the Bible. How do you reconcile acknowledging there's more to know, and not believe anything outside the Bible? And, what kills me is if Maria Valtorta had lived thousands of years ago, and her writings were included in the compiling of the Bible, you wouldn't be condemning it right now. I'm not saying discernment is bad, or that you should believe every spiritual claim, but you have read little to none of it, and have already written it off as false. If you truly think not everything is in the Bible, and if you truly believe The Lord rose from the dead and is alive, then I hope you don't keep yourself closed off to the idea that He has spoken to people outside of those mentioned in the Bible, even to this day. And, those who He talks to will probably write down His words, and share with the world.
When I agreed that not everything is in the Bible, I mean not every situation we may come across is addressed in the Bible. For instance, our pastor down in Georgia related a story how the seminary did not prepare him for everything. At his first pastorate, which happened to be in Canada, a couple came to him wanting to know what to do about their daughter being pregnant...by their son. That specific issue is not addressed in the Bible. That is when we need to claim the promise found in John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Not every circumstance we face is specifically addressed in the Bible. But for those of us who are saved and have the Spirit of Christ alive in us, He will teach us what to do in these different situations. We don't need to read anything outside of the Bible for spiritual guidance. You should know this already, but your spiritual immaturity is hindering your understanding.
What if there was a mystic who claimed to have been directly told by God how to respond to an incestuous pregnancy, was commanded by Him to write it down, and share it with others?
A mystic? That should be enough reason right there to reject her writings. God did not use mystics. He used men of God to pen the words He gave them. What if? What if? There is no 'what if' Claire. We have the Bible and that is all God gave us.

Claire

Post by Claire » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 am

Chapabel wrote:
Claire wrote:
Chapabel wrote:When I agreed that not everything is in the Bible, I mean not every situation we may come across is addressed in the Bible. For instance, our pastor down in Georgia related a story how the seminary did not prepare him for everything. At his first pastorate, which happened to be in Canada, a couple came to him wanting to know what to do about their daughter being pregnant...by their son. That specific issue is not addressed in the Bible. That is when we need to claim the promise found in John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

A mystic? That should be enough reason right there to reject her writings. God did not use mystics. He used men of God to pen the words He gave them. What if? What if? There is no 'what if' Claire. We have the Bible and that is all God gave us.
Relax, Chap, a Christian mystic isn't a witch doctor. It's another term used to describe someone who has reached spiritual understanding, and these people include the apostle Paul or many others who have been called prophets. Or, men of God in other words. But, if this is how you feel on the subject, that means you should never ask The Lord for an answer, a sign, or any spiritual guidance at all. Nor should you listen to any other Christian who tells you that The Lord has revealed anything to them. Because for you our living Lord will not contact anyone outside of those mentioned in the Bible.

Chapabel

Post by Chapabel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Claire wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 am
Relax, Chap, a Christian mystic isn't a witch doctor. It's another term used to describe someone who has reached spiritual understanding, and these people include the apostle Paul or many others who have been called prophets. Or, men of God in other words. But, if this is how you feel on the subject, that means you should never ask The Lord for an answer, a sign, or any spiritual guidance at all. Nor should you listen to any other Christian who tells you that The Lord has revealed anything to them. Because for you our living Lord will not contact anyone outside of those mentioned in the Bible.
No, there are no mystics mentioned in the Bible. There is the witch of Endor, but no Christian mystics. What you fail to understand, is while God does direct and guide people today, He has no new message for mankind. The message of God's salvation is complete in the pages of scripture. We don't need any mystics to come along and add anything to the word of God. A child of God has His Spirit abiding in him to teach him and guide him. We don't need any spurious writings from some paranormal person. Read your Bible Claire. That's all you need.

Claire

Post by Claire » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:45 am

Chapabel wrote:
Claire wrote:
Chapabel wrote:When I agreed that not everything is in the Bible, I mean not every situation we may come across is addressed in the Bible. For instance, our pastor down in Georgia related a story how the seminary did not prepare him for everything. At his first pastorate, which happened to be in Canada, a couple came to him wanting to know what to do about their daughter being pregnant...by their son. That specific issue is not addressed in the Bible. That is when we need to claim the promise found in John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Chapabel wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm
Claire wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 am
No, there are no mystics mentioned in the Bible. There is the witch of Endor, but no Christian mystics. What you fail to understand, is while God does direct and guide people today, He has no new message for mankind. The message of God's salvation is complete in the pages of scripture. We don't need any mystics to come along and add anything to the word of God. A child of God has His Spirit abiding in him to teach him and guide him. We don't need any spurious writings from some paranormal person. Read your Bible Claire. That's all you need.
I read the words of God, and they aren't only found in the Bible. Again, simply put, the word "mystic" is a term to describe someone who has reached spiritual understanding. Apostle Paul for example? He received revelations and visions from The Lord. Because this Grace isn't bestowed upon everyone, those who do receive it are given a name that distinguishes themselves from other Christians, and that is "mystic" or "visionary". Paul was a Christian mystic/visionary, and so is any other Christian like him. Those who are chosen by God to be "His pens", and/or work miracles are not loved more by Him, and no, you and I aren't doing something wrong because we haven't been chosen to be. We might one day who knows. But, certain people are chosen because they've reached a certain spiritual level, or their current status in society would bring more attention to His word through that person, etc. Reasons vary. Let's look to Paul again for example, he was well-known to be a staunch Jew who hunted down and killed followers of Jesus. So, him being knocked off his horse by The Lord himself, made blind for days, healed, then becoming a follower of Jesus, and proselytizing His words would've spoke volumes, and attracted a lot of attention, which it did. And, he was passionate, if not the most, because of what happened and how he used to be, and that would've helped make an impact on people as well. So, I think these are the major reasons why The Lord chose him to be an apostle as well. Now, I'm not saying automatically believe every person who claims to be a Christian mystic. But, to say there aren't Christian mystics at all, is to not even consider the apostles. And, to say we don't or will never have more Christian mystics is to view God as limited.

You acknowledge that not everything there is to know is in the Bible, and gave an example of incestuous pregnancy not being addressed in there. And, you continued to basically say that when faced with situations where the Bible can no longer be a blueprint, we are to reach out to The Lord for answers. But, you've also said that The Lord doesn't communicate to anyone outside of those mentioned the Bible, and "He has no new message for mankind". So, according to that logic, because you, your pastor, and every other person is not mentioned in the Bible, and The Lord has no new messages for mankind, He won't reveal answers to things that you or anyone else who ask for.

Chapabel

Post by Chapabel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Claire wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:45 am
Again, simply put, the word "mystic" is a term to describe someone who has reached spiritual understanding...But, to say there aren't Christian mystics at all, is to not even consider the apostles. And, to say we don't or will never have more Christian mystics is to view God as limited.
Incorrect. The Bible never mentions or indicates there is any such thing as a Christian "mystic". That is a concoction of yours. Paul was an Apostle, one sent out by Jesus, Himself. If you want to believe in such things. that is fine by me, but understand, you have no scriptural support.

Claire

Post by Claire » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Chapabel wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:40 pm
Incorrect. The Bible never mentions or indicates there is any such thing as a Christian "mystic". That is a concoction of yours. Paul was an Apostle, one sent out by Jesus, Himself. If you want to believe in such things. that is fine by me, but understand, you have no scriptural support.
I wasn't talking about the word "mystic" being in the Bible or not. You told me to read the Bible, and in response I was saying I read the words of God, and the Bible isn't the only book that contains His words. And, when I called Paul a mystic I wasn't saying he called himself that.

Look, there's followers of The Lord, like the apostles for example, who received revelations/visions/miracles, etc, and those who haven't. Is that not true? Well, how does one distinguish between Christians who have received the Grace of revelations/visions/miracles and those who haven't? Using terms like "mystic" and "visionary". And, those have often been used by people within the last few hundred years, even today, to describe those who do. Chap, you could make up your own word to describe followers of Christ who've been Graced with revelations/visions/miracles, etc, but that wouldn't be necessary because throughout the ages these people have also been called men of God, Holy men, Saints, and apostles, and so on. The term "mystic" might be used by people of any religion, but within Christian mysticism, any of these terms would easily apply. You're so opposed to the word "mystic", yet somehow you cannot even recognize that the apostles for example, people you quote and look up to, easily fit under the definition of a mystic as someone who is spiritually advanced, etc. You wouldn't call the apostles witches or wizards, which they're not. But, "mystic" does not come anything close to witch or wizard.

Claire

Post by Claire » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:54 pm

You acknowledge that not everything there is to know is in the Bible, and gave an example of incestuous pregnancy not being addressed in it. And, that when faced with situations where the Bible can no longer be a blueprint, we are to reach out to The Lord for answers. But, you've also said that The Lord hasn't communicated to anyone outside of those mentioned the Bible, and "He has no new message for mankind". So, because you, your pastor, and every other person is not mentioned in the Bible, and The Lord has no new messages for mankind, He won't reveal answers to things that you or anyone else ask for.

Therefore, are you going to stop asking Him for answers when faced with situations not addressed in the Bible? Are you going to stop preaching that people should go to Him for answers when faced with situations not addressed in the Bible?

Chapabel

Post by Chapabel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:04 pm

Claire wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:54 pm

You acknowledge that not everything there is to know is in the Bible, and gave an example of incestuous pregnancy not being addressed in it. And, that when faced with situations where the Bible can no longer be a blueprint, we are to reach out to The Lord for answers. But, you've also said that The Lord hasn't communicated to anyone outside of those mentioned the Bible, and "He has no new message for mankind". So, because you, your pastor, and every other person is not mentioned in the Bible, and The Lord has no new messages for mankind, He won't reveal answers to things that you or anyone else ask for.

Therefore, are you going to stop asking Him for answers when faced with situations not addressed in the Bible? Are you going to stop preaching that people should go to Him for answers when faced with situations not addressed in the Bible?
While not every specific situation we face may be found in the Bible, the guiding principle is. It is up to us to ask God for guidance and follow the Spirit's direction.

Claire

Post by Claire » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:15 am

Chapabel wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:04 pm
Claire wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:54 pm

While not every specific situation we face may be found in the Bible, the guiding principle is. It is up to us to ask God for guidance and follow the Spirit's direction.
You went from saying He will teach people how to address situations not addressed in the Bible, to we are to ask Him to guide us back to Biblical passages that weren't originally intended to apply to the situation one has questions about, and find relevance. Why would be there be relevance if that situation isn't in the Bible to begin with? And, this new answer of yours still doesn't work because it involves The Lord getting involved with us, people who aren't mentioned in the Bible, people who say He has no reason to talk to i.e. guide, teach, etc. This is another example of you flip flopping, tweaking, contradicting yourself when you're on the ropes. Thank you for once again proving me right.