What were the earliest mentions of Christianity?

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
User avatar
Chapabel
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: What were the earliest mentions of Christianity?

Post by Chapabel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:43 am

Claire wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:15 am

You went from saying He will teach people how to address situations not addressed in the Bible, to we are to ask Him to guide us back to Biblical passages that weren't originally intended to apply to the situation one has questions about, and find relevance. Why would be there be relevance if that situation isn't in the Bible to begin with? And, this new answer of yours still doesn't work because it involves The Lord getting involved with us, people who aren't mentioned in the Bible, people who say He has no reason to talk to i.e. guide, teach, etc. This is another example of you flip flopping, tweaking, contradicting yourself when you're on the ropes. Thank you for once again proving me right.
You’re inability to connect continuing thoughts is not my problem Claire. You constantly take bits and pieces out of context and try to come up with an idea that you claim I made. Again, I don’t know if you’re trying to be cute or if this really is a problem you have. I can’t help you Honey.

Claire
Posts: 1295
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: What were the earliest mentions of Christianity?

Post by Claire » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:52 am

Chapabel wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:04 pm
Claire wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:54 pm
Chapabel wrote:When I agreed that not everything is in the Bible, I mean not every situation we may come across is addressed in the Bible. For instance, our pastor down in Georgia related a story how the seminary did not prepare him for everything. At his first pastorate, which happened to be in Canada, a couple came to him wanting to know what to do about their daughter being pregnant...by their son. That specific issue is not addressed in the Bible. That is when we need to claim the promise found in John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Not every circumstance we face is specifically addressed in the Bible. But for those of us who are saved and have the Spirit of Christ alive in us, He will teach us what to do in these different situations. We don't need to read anything outside of the Bible for spiritual guidance. You should know this already, but your spiritual immaturity is hindering your understanding.
You acknowledge that not everything there is to know is in the Bible, and gave an example of incestuous pregnancy not being addressed in it. And, that when faced with situations where the Bible can no longer be a blueprint, we are to reach out to The Lord for answers. But, you've also said that The Lord hasn't communicated to anyone outside of those mentioned the Bible, and "He has no new message for mankind". So, because you, your pastor, and every other person is not mentioned in the Bible, and The Lord has no new messages for mankind, He won't reveal answers to things that you or anyone else ask for.

Therefore, are you going to stop asking Him for answers when faced with situations not addressed in the Bible? Are you going to stop preaching that people should go to Him for answers when faced with situations not addressed in the Bible?
While not every specific situation we face may be found in the Bible, the guiding principle is. It is up to us to ask God for guidance and follow the Spirit's direction.
Chapabel wrote:
Claire wrote:You went from saying He will teach people how to address situations not addressed in the Bible, to we are to ask Him to guide us back to Biblical passages that weren't originally intended to apply to the situation one has questions about, and find relevance. Why would be there be relevance if that situation isn't in the Bible to begin with? And, this new answer of yours still doesn't work because it involves The Lord getting involved with us, people who aren't mentioned in the Bible, people who you say He has no reason to talk to i.e. guide, teach, etc. This is another example of you flip flopping, tweaking, contradicting yourself when you're on the ropes. Thank you for once again proving me right.
You’re inability to connect continuing thoughts is not my problem Claire. You constantly take bits and pieces out of context and try to come up with an idea that you claim I made. Again, I don’t know if you’re trying to be cute or if this really is a problem you have. I can’t help you Honey.
I haven't seen you give examples of what you say I'm doing. I have been able to show you where you flip flop, tweak, deflect, contradict, etc. You're simply projecting.

User avatar
Chapabel
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: What were the earliest mentions of Christianity?

Post by Chapabel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:08 am

I haven't seen you give examples of what you say I'm doing. I have been able to show you where you flip flop, tweak, deflect, contradict, etc. You're simply projecting.
No, I’m not projecting. I would much rather have a meaningful conversation with you but you make that impossible. I completely understand why everyone on the old forum used the emoji banging it’s head on the wall when referring to you. If I could project anything onto you it would be the ability to understand and comprehend what is written.

Claire
Posts: 1295
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: What were the earliest mentions of Christianity?

Post by Claire » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:09 am

Chapabel wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:04 pm
Claire wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:54 pm
Chapabel wrote:When I agreed that not everything is in the Bible, I mean not every situation we may come across is addressed in the Bible. For instance, our pastor down in Georgia related a story how the seminary did not prepare him for everything. At his first pastorate, which happened to be in Canada, a couple came to him wanting to know what to do about their daughter being pregnant...by their son. That specific issue is not addressed in the Bible. That is when we need to claim the promise found in John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Not every circumstance we face is specifically addressed in the Bible. But for those of us who are saved and have the Spirit of Christ alive in us, He will teach us what to do in these different situations. We don't need to read anything outside of the Bible for spiritual guidance. You should know this already, but your spiritual immaturity is hindering your understanding.
You acknowledge that not everything there is to know is in the Bible, and gave an example of incestuous pregnancy not being addressed in it. And, that when faced with situations where the Bible can no longer be a blueprint, we are to reach out to The Lord for answers. But, you've also said that The Lord hasn't communicated to anyone outside of those mentioned the Bible, and "He has no new message for mankind". So, because you, your pastor, and every other person is not mentioned in the Bible, and The Lord has no new messages for mankind, He won't reveal answers to things that you or anyone else ask for.

Therefore, are you going to stop asking Him for answers when faced with situations not addressed in the Bible? Are you going to stop preaching that people should go to Him for answers when faced with situations not addressed in the Bible?
While not every specific situation we face may be found in the Bible, the guiding principle is. It is up to us to ask God for guidance and follow the Spirit's direction.
Claire wrote:
Chapabel wrote:
Claire wrote:You went from saying He will teach people how to address situations not addressed in the Bible, to we are to ask Him to guide us back to Biblical passages that weren't originally intended to apply to the situation one has questions about, and find relevance. Why would be there be relevance if that situation isn't in the Bible to begin with? And, this new answer of yours still doesn't work because it involves The Lord getting involved with us, people who aren't mentioned in the Bible, people who you say He has no reason to talk to i.e. guide, teach, etc. This is another example of you flip flopping, tweaking, contradicting yourself when you're on the ropes. Thank you for once again proving me right.
You’re inability to connect continuing thoughts is not my problem Claire. You constantly take bits and pieces out of context and try to come up with an idea that you claim I made. Again, I don’t know if you’re trying to be cute or if this really is a problem you have. I can’t help you Honey.
I haven't seen you give examples of what you say I'm doing. I have been able to show you where you flip flop, tweak, deflect, contradict, etc. You're simply projecting.
Chapabel wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:08 am
No, I’m not projecting.
Certain things you say show otherwise.

Claire
Posts: 1295
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

Re: What were the earliest mentions of Christianity?

Post by Claire » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:13 pm

Chapabel wrote:When I agreed that not everything is in the Bible, I mean not every situation we may come across is addressed in the Bible. For instance, our pastor down in Georgia related a story how the seminary did not prepare him for everything. At his first pastorate, which happened to be in Canada, a couple came to him wanting to know what to do about their daughter being pregnant...by their son. That specific issue is not addressed in the Bible. That is when we need to claim the promise found in John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Not every circumstance we face is specifically addressed in the Bible. But for those of us who are saved and have the Spirit of Christ alive in us, He will teach us what to do in these different situations. We don't need to read anything outside of the Bible for spiritual guidance. You should know this already, but your spiritual immaturity is hindering your understanding.
Let's say a couple comes to you with the same situation, and you pray for guidance. Then, God chooses to come to you, speaking audibly about what to do and how, and you were commanded by Him to write what He says down, and share it with others for their benefit. Would you not do it? Would you not consider it the Word of God? Would you not suggest others read what you wrote?

Post Reply