Was The Author of Matthew a Serial Liar?

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
SEG

Was The Author of Matthew a Serial Liar?

Post by SEG » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Everyone knows the story of Jesus walking on the water. In Matthew (14:22-34) the disciple Peter also walks on water. He was the ONLY gospel writer to mention this extraordinary event. Most biblical scholars accept that Matthew copied a large portion of Mark’s gospel, and he was prone to embellishment. He was also the only gospel writer to talk about the slaughter of the innocents, the earthquake and rising of people from their graves at the resurrection. Was he recording history, or just a serial liar?
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Chapabel

Re: Was The Author of Matthew a Serial Liar?

Post by Chapabel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Are you suggesting Mark’s Gospel is correct and accurate? I thought you rejected all four Gospels. So clear the air for me here...are you indicating you reject Matthew’s Gospel only or are you only trying to antagonize believers again?

SEG

Post by SEG » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:43 pm

Chapabel wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:50 pm
Are you suggesting Mark’s Gospel is correct and accurate? I thought you rejected all four Gospels. So clear the air for me here...are you indicating you reject Matthew’s Gospel only or are you only trying to antagonize believers again?
You should know by now that I reject the lot. Christianity is not founded on a historical figure, it's a mythical creation. All the gospels were written to glorify Jesus via myths, legends and folklore. Matthew stands out as the worst example of BS, as these sample verses show quite clearly. Prove me wrong.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.

Chapabel

Post by Chapabel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:52 pm

SEG wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:43 pm
Chapabel wrote:
You should know by now that I reject the lot. Christianity is not founded on a historical figure, it's a mythical creation. All the gospels were written to glorify Jesus via myths, legends and folklore. Matthew stands out as the worst example of BS, as these sample verses show quite clearly. Prove me wrong.
So you were simply trying to antagonize believers. You really have no desire to discuss any truth of the scriptures. You just started another thread to disparage those of us who do believe. As far as proving you wrong, I have done so time after time. You're just blinded and cannot see it. Again, I refer to the Black Knight of Monty Python.

SEG

Post by SEG » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Chapabel wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:52 pm
SEG wrote:
Chapabel wrote:
So you were simply trying to antagonize believers. You really have no desire to discuss any truth of the scriptures. You just started another thread to disparage those of us who do believe. As far as proving you wrong, I have done so time after time. You're just blinded and cannot see it. Again, I refer to the Black Knight of Monty Python.
Monty Python was a funny piece of fiction. I see a meme. Instead of banal rhetoric, try to formulate a logical reply.

Chapabel

Post by Chapabel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:42 pm

SEG wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:38 pm
Chapabel wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:52 pm
SEG wrote:

Monty Python was a funny piece of fiction. I see a meme. Instead of banal rhetoric, try to formulate a logical reply.
Thank you for proving my point

Claire

Post by Claire » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:57 am

SEG wrote:Everyone knows the story of Jesus walking on the water. In Matthew (14:22-34) the disciple Peter also walks on water. He was the ONLY gospel writer to mention this extraordinary event.
Peter walked on water at first, then started to doubt which caused him to sink. Perhaps the other NT writers personally didn't feel his part was worth mentioning, etc. Just because we only know about it through Matthew doesn't mean the event didn't occur. Even if it was mentioned by all gospel writers in the NT, it wouldn't change your belief that event didn't occur.
SEG wrote:He (Matthew) was also the only gospel writer to talk about the slaughter of the innocents, the earthquake and rising of people from their graves at the resurrection.
Perhaps others did write about it, but then the writings were lost or destroyed. If Matthew was the only one it doesn't mean those events didn't occur. Even if they were mentioned by all gospel writers in the NT, it wouldn't change your belief those events didn't occur.

SEG

Post by SEG » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 am

Claire wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:57 am
SEG wrote:Everyone knows the story of Jesus walking on the water. In Matthew (14:22-34) the disciple Peter also walks on water. He was the ONLY gospel writer to mention this extraordinary event.
Peter walked on water at first, then started to doubt which caused him to sink. Perhaps the other NT writers personally didn't feel his part was worth mentioning, etc. Just because we only know about it through Matthew doesn't mean the event didn't occur. Even if it was mentioned by all gospel writers in the NT, it wouldn't change your belief that event didn't occur.
SEG wrote:He (Matthew) was also the only gospel writer to talk about the slaughter of the innocents, the earthquake and rising of people from their graves at the resurrection.
Perhaps others did write about it, but then the writings were lost or destroyed. If Matthew was the only one it doesn't mean those events didn't occur. Even if they were mentioned by all gospel writers in the NT, it wouldn't change your belief those events didn't occur.
Which is more likely via Occam's Razor? Peter and Jesus suspended the laws of physics and supernaturally walked on water and the other gospel writers saw it and didn't comment or the Gospel writers (except Luke) lied and made it all up?

Claire

Post by Claire » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:42 am

SEG wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 am
Claire wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:57 am
Which is more likely via Occam's Razor? Peter and Jesus suspended the laws of physics and supernaturally walked on water and the other gospel writers saw it and didn't comment or the Gospel writers (except Luke) lied and made it all up?
The story of Jesus and Peter walking on water is mentioned in Poem of the Man-God in greater detail. And, my current understanding is that it was Peter, Judas Iscariot, James of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Matthew on the boat -- John and Mark weren't present. Perhaps the individual(s) who relayed the event to Mark and John weren't aware of what happened to Peter. Or, Mark and John were told of the event in full, but personally felt Peter's part wasn't worth mentioning, or didn't want to mention it to save Peter some embarrassment for failing in his faith, so it was a courtesy? Whatever the reason, you've concluded the event never happened, solely because you choose to believe Jesus, the apostles, etc, never existed.

SEG

Post by SEG » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:26 pm

Claire wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:42 am
The story of Jesus and Peter walking on water is mentioned in Poem of the Man-God in greater detail. And, my current understanding is that it was Peter, Judas Iscariot, James of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Matthew on the boat -- John and Mark weren't present. Perhaps the individual(s) who relayed the event to Mark and John weren't aware of what happened to Peter. Or, Mark and John were told of the event in full, but personally felt Peter's part wasn't worth mentioning, or didn't want to mention it to save Peter some embarrassment for failing in his faith, so it was a courtesy? Whatever the reason, you've concluded the event never happened, solely because you choose to believe Jesus, the apostles, etc, never existed.
No, just not that, the whole story is a hero worshipping fiction that gullible people like you love to believe. I didn't believe this silly story when I first heard it at around 6 years old and yet you believe it as an adult? Are you so bound up in all this that you sincerely believe that this was an historical event?