Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
SEG

Re: Jesus the hypocrite should have thrown the first stone

Post by SEG » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:23 pm

I think it does, beautifully. Now answer mine.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire

Post by Claire » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:47 pm

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:That's like asking was Hitler merciful by giving Jews time. You are ignoring the horrors of Jesus and Hitler as the originators of the huge amounts of suffering that they were responsible for in the first place. Did Jesus make up the stoning laws as his alter ego God? This is a yes or no question, and if you can't or won't answer it, this discussion is done.
Before we move on to that, I asked for your opinion of a specific act by Jesus: the adulterous woman brought before Him sinned and was unrepentant, so it would've been justice if she was put to death, and He could've. However, Jesus gave her time, and the possibility to arrive at repentance and holiness, if she wished to reach them, rather than put her to death without the opportunity. How is that act not merciful?
Because he made that cruel law in the first place.
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:That doesn't answer the question.
I think it does, beautifully.
It doesn't. Do you think the act of giving an individual the opportunity, and the means to avoid death, is merciful or unmerciful?

SEG

Post by SEG » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:13 pm

Unmerciful, as he created the cruel law in the first place. How many times do I have to say this? We are done here too.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.

Claire

Post by Claire » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 am

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Do you think the act of giving an individual the opportunity, and the means to avoid death, is merciful or unmerciful?
Unmerciful, as he created the cruel law in the first place.
Definition of "merciful": "bringing someone relief from something unpleasant". Death, for example, is unpleasant. Jesus giving the adulterous woman time, and the means to avoid death, is by definition merciful.

This is junior level logic and reason, but you've decided to abandon those intellectual virtues, before you'll concede to a positive about God.

SEG

Post by SEG » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Did Jesus make up the stoning laws as his alter ego God? This is a yes or no question, and if you can't or won't answer it, this discussion is done.

Claire

Post by Claire » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:Do you think the act of giving an individual the opportunity, and the means to avoid death, is merciful or unmerciful?
Unmerciful, as he created the cruel law in the first place.
Definition of "merciful": "bringing someone relief from something unpleasant". Death, for example, is unpleasant. Jesus giving the adulterous woman time, and the means to avoid death, is by definition merciful.

This is junior level logic and reason, but you've decided to abandon those intellectual virtues, before you'll concede to a positive about God.
SEG wrote:Did Jesus make up the stoning laws as his alter ego God?
We won't move on to that unless you admit Jesus was merciful towards the adulterous woman.

SEG

Post by SEG » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:43 pm

We are done here too. You have broken your promise to answer my question, but I think we all know the answer anyway. Your Jesus made up that cruel law In the first place when he was The Papa. For the life of me, I don't know why you find it that hard to own up to it.

Claire

Post by Claire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:47 pm

SEG wrote:You have broken your promise to answer my question...
No, I repeatedly asked you a question regarding Jesus and the adulterous woman, but each time you gave an evasive answer. So, I said we wouldn't move on to your question until you properly answered mine. That'd be fair.

Now, the definition of "merciful" is: "bringing someone relief from something unpleasant". Death, for example, is unpleasant. Jesus having given the adulterous woman time, and the means to avoid death, is by definition merciful as you know, but won't admit publicly. You did say Jesus should've put her to death, which means He should've been unmerciful, despite having complained about how God is unmerciful...

SEG

Post by SEG » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 pm

IOW, he disobeyed his own words, the hypocrite.

Claire

Post by Claire » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:36 pm

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:You have broken your promise to answer my question...
No, I repeatedly asked you a question regarding Jesus and the adulterous woman, but each time you gave an evasive answer. So, I said we wouldn't move on to your question until you properly answered mine. That'd be fair.

Now, the definition of "merciful" is: "bringing someone relief from something unpleasant". Death, for example, is unpleasant. Jesus having given the adulterous woman time, and the means to avoid death, is by definition merciful as you know, but won't admit publicly. You did say Jesus should've put her to death, which means He should've been unmerciful, despite having complained about how God is unmerciful...
IOW, he disobeyed his own words, the hypocrite.
He's not for reasons already explained to you.