Miracle on the Mountain.

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
Claire

Miracle on the Mountain.

Post by Claire » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:20 am

A few years ago in October, my younger sister and I took a drive through Pattee Canyon in Montana. At one point we drove onto a dead end road, and were unable to turn around. And, neither of us felt comfortable driving in reverse based on the altitude, narrowness of the road, and steep slope of the mountain. At this time, we attempted to call for help, but my cell phone was no good. A couple hours of daylight remained, so we decided to walk and find a main road for help. Before we left, anything thought to be of use was taken from the car, but there wasn't much, just a blouse insisted upon by my sister -- I suggested she leave it.

I'd estimate it was close to 8 pm when the path we had taken came to a dead end. We agreed it would've been unwise to find an alternate route considering it was nearly sundown, there were wild animals, etc. From where we stood a highway could be seen far in the distance, with the town of Missoula beyond it, and out of excitement at the sight my sister started down the side of the mountain. I had to remind her it'd be impossible to reach it before dark, and we shouldn't risk injury. Together a plan was made to stay put for the night, then at sunrise head towards the highway.

During the last minutes of daylight we searched the immediate area for shelter, and ended up huddling side-by-side under a sparse pine tree. The sun set and there was darkness, our only lights being the stars, moon, and the rare sightings of distant headlights on the highway. The two of us were beyond any material means of assistance.

It became bitterly cold, and our location and clothing made it more unpleasant. For warmth I took the blouse and covered our heads, including as much as our bodies as I could, to secure heat from our breath. Over time our re-positioning for comfort caused the branches of the tree to tear holes in the blouse. We laid freezing and tired, but unable to rest. After many hours we naturally began to express hunger, and in addition to this I became anxious and angry, because the darkness seemed never-ending. Repeatedly I asked out loud: "Where is the light?"

She and I began to speak to the Lord asking Him to send help. When we finished, I closed my eyes, and shortly thereafter I heard what sounded like a car, but dismissed what I was hearing because it couldn't have been, due to having not seen any roads close by. However, for some reason I sat up, and looked down the mountain to discover a car with the lights on about 50 ft below. The first few moments I stared in amazement at what I was seeing, because in the light of day we didn't even see underneath all the brush it was a road there. So, how could he have seen it off the main road at night? Anyway, I alerted my sister, then we started to yell for help until a man stepped out, and shown a flashlight in our direction, which he then used to guide us down to him. We sat in the back of his vehicle with a blanket and were served food. It was about 5 am and still very dark.

Long story short, our rescuer, Luke, explained he was on a highway traveling the other direction to go camping when something told him to turn around, go to this exact spot, then wait. He continued saying: "I don't know why, but I listened, then I heard yelling". Upon hearing that we knew divine intervention was at play, and in response to Luke's testimony we told him of our plea for help from God, and we could see it affected him.

A day or two after our rescue, I was taking a cab and told the driver, John, about this experience. He responded saying he was already familiar with the story. Confused I asked him how that could be, and it turns out after Luke dropped my sister and I off at home he had car trouble and called a cab, and his driver was John. The mountain experience was so profound for Luke too he shared it as well.

Yesterday, I was thinking of this miracle on the mountain again, and something prompted me to google the name "Luke", and it means "light giving". This is significant because on the mountain I had repeatedly asked out loud: "Where is the light?". And, "John" means "God is gracious", and Luke being guided to where we were was clearly the Grace of God. So, I would say these are additional confirmations God was with us.
Last edited by Claire on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
"He that keepeth his mouth and his tongue, keepeth his soul from distress" -- Prov. 21:23

SEG

Re: Mountain Miracle.

Post by SEG » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:26 am

Claire wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:20 am
A few years ago in October, my younger sister and I were taking a drive in the mountains of Pattee Canyon in Montana. We turned onto a road that, unknown to us, ended up being a dead end, and didn't allow for us to turn around. And, neither her or I felt comfortable driving in reverse back down based on the narrow road, altitude, and steep slope of the mountain. At this time, we attempted to call for help, but my cell phone was no good. There was still a couple hours of daylight left, so we decided to walk and find a main road for help. Before we left we took what we might need from the car, but there wasn't much, just a blouse insisted upon by my sister -- I suggested she leave it.

I'd say it was close to 8 pm when we reached another dead end. We agreed it would've been unwise to find an alternate route considering it was nearly sundown, there were wild animals, and steep slopes, etc. From where we stood only a highway could be seen far in the distance. From excitement at the sight my sister started down the side of the mountain, but I reminded her it'd be impossible to reach before dark, and we shouldn't risk injury. Our only next move was to stay put until sunrise.

With only a few minutes of daylight remaining we observed our surroundings looking for any form of shelter. The best we could do was huddle side-by-side under a sparse pine tree. The sky was a blanket of stars with the moon directly ahead of us, and a seemingly endless display of shadowy mountains all around. The two of us were beyond any material means of assistance. Together we made a plan to head down the mountain and aim towards the highway at sunrise.

The sun went down and it became bitterly cold, and our location and clothing made it all the more unpleasant. For warmth I enclosed our heads, and as much as our bodies as I could with that blouse to secure heat from our breath. Throughout the night, our re-positioning for comfort caused the branches of the tree to tear holes in the blouse. We laid there freezing and tired, but unable to rest. I encouraged my sister to sleep, while occasionally checking on her to make sure she was okay. After hours and hours of this we naturally began to express hunger, and additionally I became anxious and angry, because the darkness seemed never-ending. I repeatedly asked desperately out loud: "Where is the light?"

Her and I began to speak to the Lord about our situation and asked Him to send help. When we finished I tried to get a little rest, and shortly thereafter I heard what sounded like a car, but dismissed what I was hearing because it couldn't have been, due to having not seen any roads close by. However, for some reason I re-opened my eyes, sat up, and looked down below to discover a parked car running with the lights on, less than 50 ft or so. Now, this dirt road was so covered in brush that neither my sister or I noticed it in daylight. I immediately alerted her, then we started to yell for help until a man stepped out, and shown a light onto us, which he used to guide us down to him. Then, he sat us in the back of his vehicle with a blanket and served food. It was about 5 am and still dark.

Long story short, without knowing we had prayed for assistance, our rescuer explained that he'd been on a highway traveling the other direction to go camping and fishing. And, that suddenly something told him to turn around and go to this exact spot then wait. He continued saying, "I don't know why, but I listened, then I heard yelling".

Fast forward a couple days, I was taking a cab and ended up having to tell the driver, John, about this experience. He responded saying he was already familiar with the story. Confused I asked him how that could be, and it turns out right after Luke dropped my sister and I off at home he had car trouble and called a cab, the driver was John. The mountain experience was so profound for Luke too he had to share it as well.

The name "Luke" means "light giving". This is significant because if you recall in the story I asked out loud repeatedly: "Where is the light?".
The name "John" means "God is gracious". God's Grace was present and seen on the mountain and afterward.
What if his name was Mick Taylor ? Would it still be a miracle?
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.
Premise Two: God doesn't do things as a compassionate person would.
Conclusion: Therefore, a compassionate God does not exist.

Claire

Re: Miracle on the Mountain.

Post by Claire » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:39 am

SEG wrote:What if his name was Mick Taylor? Would it still be a miracle?
The name of our rescuer isn't what makes our story a miraculous one.
"He that keepeth his mouth and his tongue, keepeth his soul from distress" -- Prov. 21:23

SEG

Post by SEG » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:38 pm

Mick Taylor would strongly disagree.
Premise One: If a compassionate God exists, then he would do things just as a compassionate person would.

Claire

Post by Claire » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:43 pm

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:
SEG wrote:What if his name was Mick Taylor? Would it still be a miracle?
The name of our rescuer isn't what makes our story a miraculous one.
Mick Taylor would strongly disagree.
K.

Claire

Post by Claire » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Claire wrote:A few years ago in October, my younger sister and I took a drive through Pattee Canyon in Montana. At one point we drove onto a dead end road, and were unable to turn around. And, neither of us felt comfortable driving in reverse based on the altitude, narrowness of the road, and steep slope of the mountain. At this time, we attempted to call for help, but my cell phone was no good. A couple hours of daylight remained, so we decided to walk and find a main road for help. Before we left, anything thought to be of use was taken from the car, but there wasn't much, just a blouse insisted upon by my sister -- I suggested she leave it.

I'd estimate it was close to 8 pm when the path we had taken came to a dead end. We agreed it would've been unwise to find an alternate route considering it was nearly sundown, there were wild animals, etc. From where we stood a highway could be seen far in the distance, with the town of Missoula beyond it, and out of excitement at the sight my sister started down the side of the mountain. I had to remind her it'd be impossible to reach it before dark, and we shouldn't risk injury. Together a plan was made to stay put for the night, then at sunrise head towards the highway.

During the last minutes of daylight we searched the immediate area for shelter, and ended up huddling side-by-side under a sparse pine tree. The sun set and there was darkness, our only lights being the stars, moon, and the rare sightings of distant headlights on the highway. The two of us were beyond any material means of assistance.

It became bitterly cold, and our location and clothing made it more unpleasant. For warmth I took the blouse and covered our heads, including as much as our bodies as I could, to secure heat from our breath. Over time our re-positioning for comfort caused the branches of the tree to tear holes in the blouse. We laid freezing and tired, but unable to rest. After many hours we naturally began to express hunger, and in addition to this I became anxious and angry, because the darkness seemed never-ending. Repeatedly I asked out loud: "Where is the light?"

She and I began to speak to the Lord asking Him to send help. When we finished, I closed my eyes, and shortly thereafter I heard what sounded like a car, but dismissed what I was hearing because it couldn't have been, due to having not seen any roads close by. However, for some reason I sat up, and looked down the mountain to discover a car with the lights on about 50 ft below. The first few moments I stared in amazement at what I was seeing, because in the light of day we didn't even see underneath all the brush it was a road there. So, how could he have seen it off the main road at night? Anyway, I alerted my sister, then we started to yell for help until a man stepped out, and shown a flashlight in our direction, which he then used to guide us down to him. We sat in the back of his vehicle with a blanket and were served food. It was about 5 am and still very dark.

Long story short, our rescuer, Luke, explained he was on a highway traveling the other direction to go camping when something told him to turn around, go to this exact spot, then wait. He continued saying: "I don't know why, but I listened, then I heard yelling". Upon hearing that we knew divine intervention was at play, and in response to Luke's testimony we told him of our plea for help from God, and we could see it affected him.

A day or two after our rescue, I was taking a cab and told the driver, John, about this experience. He responded saying he was already familiar with the story. Confused I asked him how that could be, and it turns out after Luke dropped my sister and I off at home he had car trouble and called a cab, and his driver was John. The mountain experience was so profound for Luke too he shared it as well.

Yesterday, I was thinking of this miracle on the mountain again, and something prompted me to google the name "Luke", and it means "light giving". This is significant because on the mountain I had repeatedly asked out loud: "Where is the light?". And, "John" means "God is gracious", and Luke being guided to where we were was clearly the Grace of God. So, I would say these are additional confirmations God was with us.
Note: We found out after the rescue that our Mother, who knew we had taken a drive through Pattee Canyon, reported us lost. And, that she and rangers had been out searching. However, at one point the search was called off, and our Mother was told to go home in case we made it back, and that if we didn't they would resume looking when daylight hit.

Our story is a miracle because the rescuer, Luke, was traveling opposite direction of the Pattee Canyon mountains, well on his way to a campsite to get drunk and fish, when as he describes: "Suddenly something told me to turn around", and was guided to our exact, remote location, then waited there without knowing why.
Last edited by Claire on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

SEG

Post by SEG » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:19 pm

There is no need to capitalise the "m" in "mother", unless you are talking about a deity called "Mother"· Also peculiar circumstances aren't enough to call something a miracle. A good Catholic would know that.

Claire

Post by Claire » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:58 am

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:
Claire wrote:A few years ago in October, my younger sister and I took a drive through Pattee Canyon in Montana. At one point we drove onto a dead end road, and were unable to turn around. And, neither of us felt comfortable driving in reverse based on the altitude, narrowness of the road, and steep slope of the mountain. At this time, we attempted to call for help, but my cell phone was no good. A couple hours of daylight remained, so we decided to walk and find a main road for help. Before we left, anything thought to be of use was taken from the car, but there wasn't much, just a blouse insisted upon by my sister -- I suggested she leave it.

Note: We found out after the rescue that our Mother, who knew we had taken a drive through Pattee Canyon, reported us lost. And, that she and rangers had been out searching. However, at one point the search was called off, and our Mother was told to go home in case we made it back, and that if we didn't they would resume looking when daylight hit.

Our story is a miracle because the rescuer, Luke, was traveling opposite direction of the Pattee Canyon mountains, well on his way to a campsite to get drunk and fish, when as he describes: "Suddenly something told me to turn around", and was guided to our exact, remote location.
...peculiar circumstances aren't enough to call something a miracle.
This particular circumstance was miraculous for reasons explained.
Last edited by Claire on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

SEG

Post by SEG » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:25 am

SEG wrote:...peculiar circumstances aren't enough to call something a miracle.
Claire wrote:This particular circumstance was miraculous for reasons explained.
Nope, that doesn't fly. It has to be extraordinary and not explicable by natural or scientific laws. "Real" miracles are sanctioned by the church. Otherwise you could have this: I was positive that I had no beer left in the fridge and I was dying of thirst. I checked again and there was one left in the corner. It's a miracle!

Claire

Post by Claire » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 am

SEG wrote:
Claire wrote:This particular circumstance was miraculous for reasons explained.
Nope, that doesn't fly. It has to be extraordinary and not explicable by natural or scientific laws.
How was our rescue not extraordinary, and explicable by natural, or scientific laws? And, please give something resembling an actual explanation, and don't just say science and natural law explains it", as if that ends the conversation.
SEG wrote:"Real" miracles are sanctioned by the church. Otherwise you could have this: I was positive that I had no beer left in the fridge and I was dying of thirst. I checked again and there was one left in the corner. It's a miracle!
That's like someone isn't really dead unless the state coroner says so. Lacking a death certificate won't keep the corpse from stinking. Not every miracle is known to the Church, but that doesn't mean those miracles didn't occur.