Welcome back!

Create a topic and discuss! No subject is off limits, but moderators have the right to remove asshat posts. What's an asshat post? Selling stuff, trolling, harassing--the usual stuff you don't want to see either. Happy posting!
captain howdy

Re: Welcome back!

Post by captain howdy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:29 am

What about the history nazi? He gone too? I just had trouble warming up to that guy for some reason.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:18 pm

FYI I made it back too if anyone was ever looking for contact

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Moonwood the Hare wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:09 pm
I just wanted to let people know I'm still here. I too would like to keep up some contacts but I don't want to give the kind of time to this I have in the past. KTR and I have followed through the same argument so many times now and always reached the same dead end. Even trying to analyse why we do this reaches a dead end. I wish I had the background knowledge to discuss the kinds of historical issues SEG is interested in but I really don't. Argument is very addictive for me but it is not really fruitful.

But hi everyone.
Moonwood, as Rian mentioned you were one person in particular I have been bummed out that I couldn't reach since whenever this forum went out. A lot has changed in my life since then, my own personal growth it seems has been exponential, but I had wanted to say to you that you had been very instrumental in shaping my own views over the years and now through me you are helping others as well (depends on one's perspective I suppose, some may see it as the opposite of helping) so much to say, but thanks is the main thing, thanks. Argument has taken a back seat for me as well, loving others who are just trying to make it on their journey in life is so much more important, argument is useful in that it has helped to sharpen my own mind and that helps me to try and bring clarity and light to other's situations, exposing lies and poor assumptions, but the aim is sincere, genuine, love. Wow, it's so strange taking a moment to reflect on this time, so much has happened in me, Jesus brings freedom, so so so so much freedom. God thank you! :D :D :D :D :D :D

captain howdy

Post by captain howdy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:17 am

Hey Aaron--welcome back. You sound like you've made progress on your own journey of sorts, which is great. As for me, I have to say that after the few years I was on the forum, altho my counter-apologetics has sharpened up some on the whole I came away from the forum with pretty much the same reductionist worldview I had when I went into it.

Enjoy your freedom, Aaron! But here's the weird thing: I don't think I wanna be that "free"! Go figure

SEG

Post by SEG » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:32 am

captain howdy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:29 am
What about the history nazi? He gone too? I just had trouble warming up to that guy for some reason.
Oh yeah, Tim O'Neill? He was all dried up here after about 5 weeks of dodging questions and re-appeared later on the Australian Atheist site. I was able to invite some of the biggest proponents of the Jesus myth Theory, (JMT) to give guest posts on their forum. Neil Godfrey and Rene Salm gave very detailed information on their best arguments of why it is very unlikely that Jesus and Nazareth even existed at the time of his supposed existence.

It wasn't until they were long gone that he made an appearance. The other forum members who were most vocal against the JMT did the same thing, posting derogatory comments after we had left. Tim also made a gutless appearance after we had all left. See Neil's post on this extraordinary experience and check out the comments below:
https://vridar.org/2018/03/21/discoveri ... t-atheism/
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

SEG

Post by SEG » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 am

Aaron wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:18 pm
Hi Aaron, great to see you back too! We have just returned today from our holiday in Las Vegas/Rockies and we finished up on our cruise to Alaska. It was very beautiful as you had told me previously. Whereabouts did you live when you were there? We visited Tracy Arm Fjord, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

captain howdy

Post by captain howdy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 pm

SEG wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:32 am
captain howdy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:29 am
Oh yeah, Tim O'Neill? He was all dried up here after about 5 weeks of dodging questions and re-appeared later on the Australian Atheist site. I was able to invite some of the biggest proponents of the Jesus myth Theory, (JMT) to give guest posts on their forum. Neil Godfrey and Rene Salm gave very detailed information on their best arguments of why it is very unlikely that Jesus and Nazareth even existed at the time of his supposed existence.

It wasn't until they were long gone that he made an appearance. The other forum members who were most vocal against the JMT did the same thing, posting derogatory comments after we had left. Tim also made a gutless appearance after we had all left. See Neil's post on this extraordinary experience and check out the comments below:
https://vridar.org/2018/03/21/discoveri ... t-atheism/
I'm glad the dude's gone, but don't get me wrong. I do think he had a point or two to make. I think his overall point that we atheists need to sharpen up our argumentation is right. Problem is, I don't need his pearls of wisdom enough to dive through a swimming pool of his bile to get them.

As far as Jesus Myth goes, honestly I could care less. And I'm speaking as an atheist too. So far as I know, Jesus was an historical figure; I have no particular problem with that because even if we grant for sake of argument the historicity of Jesus, the plausibility or reasonability of Christianity as an idea---the idea that the Christian is in an actual, real-time relationship with an itinerant carpenter and rabbi from 2000 years ago--is still ludicrous on its face. My general rule of thumb in matters historical is to defer to the consensus opinion of the experts in the field under discussion. If the consensus of historians is that Jesus was an historic figure, great. If not, great. I just don't have a dog in that fight.

SEG

Post by SEG » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:22 pm

captain howdy wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 pm
My general rule of thumb in matters historical is to defer to the consensus opinion of the experts in the field under discussion. If the consensus of historians is that Jesus was an historic figure, great. If not, great. I just don't have a dog in that fight.
I didn't like him for the same reason most others don't. He was very rude and condescending of others who disagreed with him. He did open my eyes to the burning of the library at Alexandria, though. I always thought that it was the work of Christians, but there is no evidence of this.

I agree with everything you have said, except the last paragraph about the consensus of the experts. I also imagined that JC was an historical person of the Bible, but when I looked for supporting evidence, there was nothing except for accounts in that book which all had clear theological motives.

If the consensus of opinion is biased, then it is greatly compromised. Can a religion be started without a real person? Yep, there is proof that this has happened previously. I think it is best to remain agnostic about the matter until strong evidence is presented to the contrary.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 am

SEG wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 am
Aaron wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:18 pm
Hi Aaron, great to see you back too! We have just returned today from our holiday in Las Vegas/Rockies and we finished up on our cruise to Alaska. It was very beautiful as you had told me previously. Whereabouts did you live when you were there? We visited Tracy Arm Fjord, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan
Hi SEG, I lived in the interior, about 100 miles south of Fairbanks, I'm actually going back in a few weeks for a visit, I'm pretty excited about that, though I love living in Arizona. In my opinion you visited the most beautiful part of Alaska, I love the coastal areas, the water falls, the deep blue ocean, the jelly fish, the glaciers, the animals, the trees, the rocks, the mountains, the air. It's amazing. I love the fishing too! The interior is harsher, but it's still very beautiful, one of the biggest things I miss is the clear air. I didn't realize what an unusual blessing it was to be able to see as far as the eye can see and not have any haze (unless there's forest fires which is common), it makes your heart brighter in my opinion when things are just crisp you know.

SEG

Post by SEG » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:12 am

Aaron wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 am
Hi SEG, I lived in the interior, about 100 miles south of Fairbanks, I'm actually going back in a few weeks for a visit, I'm pretty excited about that, though I love living in Arizona. In my opinion you visited the most beautiful part of Alaska, I love the coastal areas, the water falls, the deep blue ocean, the jelly fish, the glaciers, the animals, the trees, the rocks, the mountains, the air. It's amazing. I love the fishing too! The interior is harsher, but it's still very beautiful, one of the biggest things I miss is the clear air. I didn't realize what an unusual blessing it was to be able to see as far as the eye can see and not have any haze (unless there's forest fires which is common), it makes your heart brighter in my opinion when things are just crisp you know.
Yes Aaron, it sure was breathtaking! Star gazing is perfect there too. Has the legalisation of marijuana there caused any problems? We were surprised to see people smoking openly in Alaska and also Las Vegas. I asked our taxi driver there the same question and if there were stoners stumbling around causing trouble? He said nothing had really changed, except a lot of kids weren't being sent to jail or facing stiff fines. Changing world, huh?