How did you become a Christian

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

As a Christian which description best describes you

I Considered the validity of the Bible, I came to the conclusion that it made sense, then I had faith in God and the bible.
9%
I Had Faith in God and the Bible first, then considered the validity of the Bible in the light of this
55%
Figures in authority told me about the validity of the Bible which I accepted then I had faith in God and the Bible
36%

Total votes : 11

How did you become a Christian

Postby Iain » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:29 pm

This is a poll for Christians only because I'm interested to know how you became a Christian. You could easily lie about this but I hope you will all be honest.
Iain
resident
resident

Postby koin4life » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:49 pm

Sorry I did not vote, but only because I think I fit into all 3 categories. Okay, now time to explain why.

Growing up, I had a very strong Christian influence in my life. My Aunt and Uncle and my grandparents were all very strong Christians. They didn't teach me anything about Jesus though, it was more how they lived their life that showed me something was different about them.

During high school, I tried to live my life to a higher standard than most, although I wasn't a strong Christian then. I went to high school church groups occasionally, but I would see people that I knew from football that were not living like a Christian, and it made me not want to be around them because I felt they were hypocritical.

Also during high school, I broke my arm playing basketball (cue the violin music) and I was afraid that I could no longer play basketball. But, for some reason, I was more worried about how the people around me were acting about it than my own welfare. For some reason I felt that something was leading me to act this way.

Finally, during college, I lived in a Christian frat house (basically all the brotherhood without the parties). I met people with all sorts of backgrounds than me. Some used to be catholic and turned christian, some were still catholic, some weren't even christians yet, and some were methodists, baptists, lutherans, and all sorts. During that time I learned more about the Bible, and thanks to some other students that studied greek, I was able to learn more original translations of the Bible that can shed some light on certain passages, such as the slavery issue.

Well, I struggled in school my first few years, and I was on the verge of having to leave due to grades. It seemed that no matter what I did, I never could cut it. I would cut back on small groups, and other things to study and it wouldn't help. Finally, I decided I would trust God, and I started to go to small group, and other things that would take up time from studying. I would study after that, but not as much as before. My grades greatly improved and I was able to graduate with a degree in engineering.

Sorry, at this point I have lost focus of what the point of my ranting was for. Okay, hopefully I am back on track.

I became a deacon of my church my last year and was able to learn really what it meant to love people and be a christian. The pastor is an extremely smart guy, and because of it I was able to learn more about things in the Bible and historical events. Also, I roomed with and lived with people that studied greek, history, philosophy, and other curriculum's that all were able to add different bits of knowledge about christianity.

Now I am in a bible study with friends from the house, 1 of which is a pyschologist and training to be a pastor, and the other is getting his PHD. in astrophysics. The reason I say this is because they both provide 2 different types of teaching.

Also, I have read many books by people such as C.S. Lewis, Ravi Zacharias, Lee Strobel and others. I hope this sheds some light on my "crazy" views. :D
koin4life
veteran
veteran

Postby whoosanightowl » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:12 pm

I replied since I was a Christian for 45 years, even though I am not now.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:11 pm

koin4life wrote:Sorry I did not vote, but only because I think I fit into all 3 categories. Okay, now time to explain why.

That ok, I wasn’t sure I was asking the right questions anyway. I had to start with something but maybe I will modify it. I thought previously that I couldn’t modify a poll but it seems I can.

Growing up, I had a very strong Christian influence in my life. My Aunt and Uncle and my grandparents were all very strong Christians. They didn't teach me anything about Jesus though, it was more how they lived their life that showed me something was different about them.

During high school, I tried to live my life to a higher standard than most, although I wasn't a strong Christian then. I went to high school church groups occasionally, but I would see people that I knew from football that were not living like a Christian, and it made me not want to be around them because I felt they were hypocritical.

I have seen lots of hypocritical Christians too, I really can’t see how they can go to Church on Sunday then behave the way they do on Monday.

I am trying to understand what the key events in someone’s life are that make them into a more devout believer. A key milestone I would say is when they decide they have faith in God and the Bible. Would you say this happened to you in high school? Or was it later on when you said that you decided to trust in God?

Iain

Postby koin4life » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:18 pm

I would say it happened in college mostly. I was baptised a few days before my 21st birthday because I wanted to become a spiritual man before I became a physical man, if that makes sense. I had faith in high school, I prayer regularly, and I accepted Jesus, but not until college did it become an outward thing.

There is a song by DC Talk (warning: Christian band). Anyway, the song is called "What if I Stumble" and I think it gives a rather good example. It begins with someone saying, "The greatest cause of atheism in the world is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, and when they walk out the door, they are completely different. This is what the world finds truly amazing."
koin4life
veteran
veteran

Postby stickmangrit » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:11 pm

sorry folks, i just had to jump on this one:

Finally, during college, I lived in a Christian frat house (basically all the brotherhood without the parties).

so it was something that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a fraternity, where the brotherhood comes from fighting off the hangover as a team.
I see as much misery outta them movin' to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm.
stickmangrit
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: agnostic anti-theist

Postby koin4life » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:21 pm

I apologize Stick, I am unsure what you mean with this, can you please clarify it so I can better answer you?

so it was something that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a fraternity, where the brotherhood comes from fighting off the hangover as a team.
koin4life
veteran
veteran

Postby stickmangrit » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:35 pm

was making a Htichikers Guide joke based on the cocept of a christian college fraternity, which from what i've seen of fraternities (namely my pledge dorm-mate stumbling in at three AM in a cow costume and vomiting into the sink because he was too hammered to work the doorknob to the bathroom) is about as funny an oximoron as jumbo shrimp and military intelligence.
I see as much misery outta them movin' to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm.
stickmangrit
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: agnostic anti-theist

Postby koin4life » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:01 pm

Okay, I got you know. My answer to that then is 42.

My Christian "frat" is easiest to be called that only because of the structure, not because of the society. Most people wouldn't understand if I said cooperative house.

For example, we govern ourselves with a President, and his cabinet, which consists of a VP, Treasurer, House Manager and Public Relations. The cabinet reports to the President. The president has the decision making power, but the cabinet vote is normally what determines the outcome. Also, we have separate positions within each main positions. The VP looks after the chaplains, the secretary, the initiate director (initiates are the same as pledges, only they live in the house for a semester before they become a member). We have house meetings every week, and we have meals together. In that aspect, that is about all that is like a frat. Where we differ is there is no tobacco or alcohol allowed on the premises, even for those over 21. Girls are not allowed in the house between 3 AM and 8 AM so as to not allow girls to sleep overnight. We have prayer groups, and we cook and clean our own house, instead of hiring a service.

There is no requirement to get into the house, only that you meet with the interview committee. They can choose anybody they see fit to accept into the house. We also have various things that occur during our initiate week, were the initiates show they want to become members of the house. Some of the stuff is fun, but many of it is serious. Also, there is absolutely no hazing allowed. Each person is also allowed to do whatever they want with their free time, and go to church anywhere they want even though the house is sponsered by a local church.

I hope this goes to show you that a college house can be a positive impact to the society in which it lives.
koin4life
veteran
veteran

Postby Emery » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:32 pm

koin4life wrote:There is a song by DC Talk (warning: Christian band). Anyway, the song is called "What if I Stumble" and I think it gives a rather good example. It begins with someone saying, "The greatest cause of atheism in the world is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, and when they walk out the door, they are completely different. This is what the world finds truly amazing."

Yes, I like that band a lot. Have they come out with anything since the Jesus Freak album? Is it as good?

The irony of that quote, koin, is the consequence: absolutely nothing. What I mean is, let's say a wayward Christian causes someone to become an atheist. What happens after that? The Christian still goes to heaven, the atheist to hell. From what I've learned thru evangelical Christianity, God does not consider extenuating circumstances. He doesn't care why you don't believe (whether a stumbling Christian contributed to it or not), all that matters is that you don't, and off to hell you go.

BTW, any Christian that knows 42 is the answer to Stick's post has got to be pretty cool :smt057
They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea. - Sir Francis Bacon
Emery

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby dabid » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:17 am

koin4life wrote:...
Growing up, I had a very strong Christian influence in my life. My Aunt and Uncle and my grandparents were all very strong Christians. They didn't teach me anything about Jesus though, it was more how they lived their life that showed me something was different about them....

Growing up, I had a very strong Christian influence in my life. My parents were very keen Christians. My dad showed symptons of paranoid schizophenia and used to beat up my mum. They didn't teach me anything about Jesus, it was more how they lived their life that showed me something was different about them....

I think I have to admit that I am some strange kind of christian. I feel more at home with open-minded atheists than most christians I have met.
I am on a quest to prove to myself that the Bible God is real, loving and reasonable.
quality of life =quality of relationships
dabid
recruit
recruit

Postby whoosanightowl » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:41 am

I am on a quest to prove to myself that the Bible God is real, loving and reasonable.

Good luck, that's how I started too.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Postby Emery » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:58 am

Hey koin, I like your first post in this thread, about your college days. It reminds me of my own. Kudos for getting your grades up in engineering, I couldn't hack my engineering school, so studied art instead :oops:

I noticed you like to read Zacharias and Strobel and Lewis. I like reading them too, though Strobel started pissing me off because he only interviews people who agree with the conservative Christian line.

No matter if I'm reading a Christian or an atheist writer, I always try to read the other side, as I think that is the only way to get a full picture. If you haven't already, visit infidels.org, they have critiques of these guys' work (and often their replies to these critiques), that really are worth a look:

Ravi Zacharias

and

Lee Strobel

If those links don't work, just go to their site and plug these guys' names into their search box.

-Emery
They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea. - Sir Francis Bacon
Emery

Postby koin4life » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks, Emery. It's a good thing I was able to stick with engineering,because I stink at art. I actually wanted to be a college basketball coach, and did some work for a team for 2 years before graduating.

I think Strobel was not a christian yet when he did the interviews of his first book, "Case for Christ," but I think it would be interesting if he had 2 scholars at a time, 1 for and 1 against. I agree with your statement though, it did lose some credibility becasue it did only interview one side of things.

I heard Zacharias talk in person at my college, and I enjoyed his speaking, the thing is he was just a little over my head.

Lewis is also like that, but a book I like is "The Screwtape Letters," which if you haven't read it, is about a young demon writing to his uncle demon looking for help with humans. It's pretty interesting if you think that if it is accurate, then there are things in our daily lives that we pass off that could be the work of demons.

Another book I read was about a discussion between a Christian and an Atheist back in the 80's called "Did Jesus Rise from the Dead." 2 people discuss different issues in front of a panel of philsophers and such, and from what I read about it, the Christian was voted to have won by 4 out of the 5 philosphers, and the only other guy said it was a tie.
koin4life
veteran
veteran

Postby Emery » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:18 am

Hi koin. Yes, the Screwtape Letters is a very interesting book, and not as esoteric as some of his stuff. But I liked it better than Narnia, the theology behind Narnia was too transparent and hamfisted for me, and had too many stereotypes and holes in it.

I haven't listened to your debate, but a good source last time I checked was sermonaudio.org, look in the debates section. The problem with debates is, often the guy that sounds the best is perceived to win, even if his arguments aren't the best (of course, this only applies if the atheist loses).

Fortunately I argue AND sound better than Norton :smt077 If this ever is not the case, see previous paragraph :smt082
Emery

Next

Return to Polls