Is Christianity oppressed in the USA?

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Is Christianity oppressed in the USA?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:58 am

Not at all, free as a bird. Oppression is nonsense.
46%
Free to practice, but speech is restrained.
15%
Free to practice, but media tries to override message.
23%
Free to practice, but totally unwelcome in public.
15%
Oppressed by media and public, nearly banned.
No votes

Total votes : 13

Postby spongebob » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:18 am

Norton wrote:Both...as well as an invitation if you're ever in the Atlanta area to grab a cup of coffee sometime and shoot the breeze...

Or maybe we can all go to Texas and ride in Emery's sweet mustang...

Norton

Sure, I could be tempted to do that. But I'm not in Hotlanta very often. My family does have a fondness for Six Flags, though. :smt023

Texas is a state I try never to go into. You know only two things come out of Texas..... ;-)
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby stickmangrit » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:34 pm

i voted for the first choice, and all i have to say is "poor, poor, persecuted majority." i got the world's smallest violin and it's playin' a sad tune just for you.

government sponsored displays of religious materials have always rubed me wrong. the Ten Commandments should not be displayed anywhere near a federal building, as the first one has a bit about "God" (note the capital g denoting Yaweh), and how he is the only true god and that no ther gods should be worshiped aside from him, thus making for government support of the monotheist religions, and thereby violating the first ammendment. and as for the gorram "war on Christmas," f*** you Pat & Jerry. there are other religions out there, and if Wal-Mart wants to acknowledge the entirety of their consumer base, then i call that good business. not to mention the fact that Jesus wasn't born in december at all, but based on studies of Roman Censuses, would have been born much closer to Easter.

i agree with A37 here, christianity isn't "persecuted" nearly enough.

and as for the whole "southern get-together idea," if any of you ever get the chance to come to Greenwood, SC, go get a pencil, sharpen it, and jam it in your eye, because you are far better off in the ER, holding the pencil steady and wondering what you're going to look like in a jaunty eye-patch then you are spending two seconds in this s***-hole.
I see as much misery outta them movin' to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm.
stickmangrit
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: agnostic anti-theist

Postby I'mAlsoAnAtheist » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:49 pm

How is Christianity oppressed?
Christianity makes up like 70-80% of the United States' population
Most of the members of the three branches are Christian
We say "one nation, under god"
There are "god bless america" bumper stickers everywhere
I see the fish thing on cars everywhere
A few days ago, they even approved teaching the Bible in Georgia schools or something like that

I don't see how its oppressed
That's from my perspective, maybe it is
Well, that's my opinion on this topic
Have a nice day :-D
I'mAlsoAnAtheist
recruit
recruit

Postby mikedsjr » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:33 pm

I'll believe the 70-80% when 70-80% start going to church every week, because they have a sincere devotion to Christ and get involved in the ministries of the churches.

Besides, no, Christians are not supressed. Just getting too political.
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens
Eccl 3:1
mikedsjr

Postby whoosanightowl » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:43 pm

Christians are not supressed. Just getting too political.

I agree, and that's why I am opposed to any slogans that pertain to "God" on our currency or in our pledge of allegience or anything else that is meant for the nation at large. Religion should be kept out of politics, although I would expect people to vote according to their beliefs which is fine. But the "in your face" with God slogans everywhere has gone far enough. Nobody wants anyone elses beliefs shoved down their throats, and it only serves to drive a wedge between people.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Postby spongebob » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:00 pm

mikedsjr wrote:Besides, no, Christians are not supressed. Just getting too political.

If this is the case, mike, then perhaps you could influence a few Christians to cease and desist with the "Christians are oppressed" rhetoric.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby mikedsjr » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:59 pm

Sue,

As long as you are not saying that religion is to be kept out of our freedoms, I agree with you.

Sponge,

I try my best. Influence sometimes takes a good long while to cause someone to be convinced to change.
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens
Eccl 3:1
mikedsjr

Postby whoosanightowl » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:17 pm

As long as you are not saying that religion is to be kept out of our freedoms, I agree with you.

Mike, I just think that sayings pertaining to "God" should be left out of anything which is meant for everyone. People will still have the right to practice their religions however they want, just not by forcing it on everyone else and denying us our freedom from religion.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Previous

Return to Polls