Cheating Death by Modern Medical Science

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Without Modern Medical Science - would you be dead?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:26 pm

Yes - Once
No votes
Yes - Twice
17%
Yes - Thrice
No votes
Yes - more than three... consider me a cat with nine lives
17%
No
17%
Maybe
17%
How the *Bleep* Should I know?
33%

Total votes : 6

Cheating Death by Modern Medical Science

Postby darkumbra » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:26 pm

How many times has Modern Medicine saved your life?
The "god experience"? I have no idea what you are talking about. This sounds like COMPLETE BULLSHIT that you are just making up. How do you define "god experience" in objective scientific terms?-Mitch - a Christian beyond compare.
darkumbra

Re: Cheating Death by Modern Medical Science

Postby darkumbra » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:30 pm

Let's see now...

-- Endocarditis - resulting in a blown Mitral valve - open heart surgery. Dead if not for that.
-- Gall bladder removal - Gall stones - If surgery had not saved me, the pain alone would have killed me.
-- Kidney stones - cursed I am - 7 attacks so far - surgery twice to remove them - the pain would have worn me to death.

That's 4 counts for me.
The "god experience"? I have no idea what you are talking about. This sounds like COMPLETE BULLSHIT that you are just making up. How do you define "god experience" in objective scientific terms?-Mitch - a Christian beyond compare.
darkumbra

Postby NH Baritone » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:19 pm

At least twice:

• As a 1-year-old, I was severely dehydrated during a staph infection. I had to spend a week in a hospital, after nearly dying in a back-woods hospital in the coal-mining territory of Virginia.
  • In 1993, I had colon cancer, detected as a small polyp during a sigmoidoscopy. They had to remove 10 inches of my colon to ensure they got the cancer, but the same cancer killed my grandmother and almost killed my father. That's why they went looking so early. And so far, no recurrences (15 years later).
But it is a temporary reprieve. Modern medicine will eventually fail us all ... although not so readily as religion fails.
Diversity is the offspring of Liberty. Nonetheless, frightened, mainstream ideologues treat diversity like a bastard stepchild, instead of like a welcome indicator of our overall well-being.
NH Baritone

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheistic Meditator

Postby whoosanightowl » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:30 pm

I had a C-section with my daughter because she was in a breech position. Years ago women died much more often in childbirth due to things such as that, so who knows whether I'd be here or not.
Alice:`There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.'
Queen:`...you haven't had much practice, When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Postby stickmangrit » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:43 pm

thanks for the profanity laced option, always a plus. i'm certain there have been several undetectable ways in which modern medical science has saved my life, but i have not had any dramatic examples.
I see as much misery outta them movin' to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm.
stickmangrit
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: agnostic anti-theist

Postby darkumbra » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:47 am

NH Baritone wrote:But it is a temporary reprieve. Modern medicine will eventually fail us all ... [/color]

I don't see it as failing - given we're all programmed to die sooner or later - it succeeds in holding back the inevitable for a significant period of time.

I don't know If I'd like to be immortal. (LOL... talking about Freudian typos.. don't forget the 'T'' in that!) Perhaps with a perpetually young body - but I suspect that the mind might eventually grow tired of living. Lots of SF novels have explored that theme.
darkumbra

Postby darkumbra » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:51 am

stickmangrit wrote:thanks for the profanity laced option, always a plus. i'm certain there have been several undetectable ways in which modern medical science has saved my life, but i have not had any dramatic examples.

It has to be there. If you've ever had an anti-biotic you have no idea if that saved your life or not. Even a medicated bandage may have been the thing that did it...

Many of us though know for a fact that we've turned the grim reaper away from the door. The Heart Surgery is my #1... I know I would not be here if it weren't for that. I'm living on borrowed time. Thanks Doc!
darkumbra

Postby Rian » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:19 pm

whoosanightowl wrote:I had a C-section with my daughter because she was in a breech position. Years ago women died much more often in childbirth due to things such as that, so who knows whether I'd be here or not.
Welcome to the "would have died on the prairie" club!

I would have died with kid #2.
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Return to Polls