Poll for Christians

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

How certain are you of your particular belief in god?

10%
8%
25%
No votes
50%
No votes
75%
15%
90%
15%
99%
15%
100% absolutely no doubt couldn't possibly be wrong
46%

Total votes : 13

Poll for Christians

Postby spongebob » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:47 am

How certain are you that your belief in god is correct?
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Re: Poll for Christians

Postby JustJim » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:55 pm

I voted that I was 10% sure, but only because you didn't provide a lower percentage option. I'm way closer to 0% than I am to 10%....

Jim
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, refuses to go away...."
JustJim

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheist

Postby spongebob » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:20 am

I should have included this in the poll. I'm more interested in hearing how sure Christians are about god. I'll let other polls explore the absoluteness of atheists.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby TheFonz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:45 pm

I would think that most Christians who listen to the podcast and venture onto the forum would steer clear of the 100% mark. just a hunch
Simul Iustus Et Peccator
TheFonz
recruit
recruit

Affiliation: Christian

Postby whoosanightowl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:44 pm

...damn spammers... :x

I said I'm 99% sure because all the deities I've ever heard about that people have believed in at one time or another throughout history, I'm quite positive none of them exist, with the possible exception of a first cause/Creator.
Alice:`There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.'
Queen:`...you haven't had much practice, When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Postby whoosanightowl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:58 pm

Oops, sorry, I just realized this poll was for Christians. :oops:
Alice:`There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.'
Queen:`...you haven't had much practice, When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Postby Pseudonym » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:46 pm

I answered 100%.

I'm 100% certain that it makes sense to talk about something that we can call "God" which exists, even if it exists as nothing more than an idea. It makes at least as much sense to talk about God as it does to talk about Justice. The fact that you and I can use that word and we understand each other is proof that this is the case. In that sense, I should (and did) answer 100%. Note that I would also answer 100% in this sense if you replaced "God" with "Zeus"; Zeus also exists, if only as an idea.

However, I'm also 100% certain that my specific beliefs about God are not entirely correct. It's impossible to put a figure on it, though, because I really should weight my beliefs by relative importance and strength of belief. The beliefs of mine that I judge are likely to be incorrect are precisely those that I don't hold strongly and that I don't think are that important.
Pseudonym

Affiliation: Liberal Christian

Postby emily4189 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:17 pm

I answered 75% ... I realize that I lie in bed at night and think about the vastness of the universe, about how absurd it is that I'm even alive and capable of wondering at my own existence; and I realize that logically, I shouldn't believe in God. But something keeps drawing me back. And it's not that it's what my parents taught me--me and my parents definitely don't agree on everything, even though we go to the same church. I don't discount science, I'm not a rabid anti-evolutionist or anything, but for me science fails to answer the deeper "why" of "Why do I exist?"

Honestly, I found my freedom in God by abandoning my old view of Christianity. And the farther away I move from my old view (I was a pretty good bible-thumper up until the age of fifteen or so), the more I realize that All I know is that I don't know nothin'. Hence the 75% thing. If I get to the point where I mark yes, I 100% absolutely know for a fact that everything that I believe right now is one hundred percent true (what is truth, anyway? nobody's answered me yet ... =P), then I've gotten arrogant with myself. I know that's how I am because I've been through it before--I'm definitely not saying that that's how everyone else is.

So yes. That's how I see things.
emily4189
recruit
recruit

Affiliation: Some kind of God stuff

Return to Polls