Poll for Atheists

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

How convinced are you that your lack of belief in God is true?

10% (Some God probably exists, although it is probably not be one expressed by any religion.)
12%
25% (A God may not exist, but I still find some belief truly compelling.)
4%
50% (I am unconvinced that any Gods exist, but I'm also unconvinced that no Gods exist.)
4%
75% (A God may exist, but mostly the arguments against God's existence are compelling.)
4%
90% (It is highly unlikely that any God exists, but I remain open to new evidence to the contrary.)
31%
99% (The chance of God's existence is lower than the chance that Dick Cheney will win a Nobel Peace Prize.)
38%
100% (I have absolutely no doubt in God's nonexistence.)
8%

Total votes : 26

Poll for Atheists

Postby NH Baritone » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:33 am

Since we have a belief-certainty poll for Christians, I thought we should subject ourselves to a similar inquiry.
Diversity is the offspring of Liberty. Nonetheless, frightened, mainstream ideologues treat diversity like a bastard stepchild, instead of like a welcome indicator of our overall well-being.
NH Baritone

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheistic Meditator

Re: Poll for Atheists

Postby spongebob » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Ok, I really wanted to vote 90%, but the humor of the 99% choice was just too rich. Nice writing, NHB.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby JustJim » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:01 pm

Woops... I answered the poll for Christians, when I probably should have answered this one instead. But my answer is basically the same: I answered 10% only because there was no lower percentage option. I'm way closer to 0% than I am to 10%.... :D

Jim
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, refuses to go away...."
JustJim

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheist

Postby OzAnt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:13 am

100% - No God, here. There's more chance of me creating a perpetual motion machine, than there is in the existence of a God.

Could there be an entity out there that exists on some level completely foreign to us (and completely outside this universe)? Not impossible, but incredibly unlikely in my opinion.

Ant
In a nutshell, philosophy is questions that can never be answered and religion is answers that can never be questioned.
OzAnt

Affiliation: Look up. No! not @God, @avatar

Postby darkumbra » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:27 am

Like others the % I selected, 99%, was the best approximation available. 99 followed by 99 9s after the decimal place would have been closer to the mark for me. But, you work with what you have.
The "god experience"? I have no idea what you are talking about. This sounds like COMPLETE BULLSHIT that you are just making up. How do you define "god experience" in objective scientific terms?-Mitch - a Christian beyond compare.
darkumbra

Postby OzAnt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:12 am

Hi DU,

Before I forget, good to see ya back.

darkumbra wrote:99 followed by 99 9s after the decimal place would have been closer to the mark for me.
That's why I picked 100%. 99.9% (even out to only 1 decimal place) is a lot closer to 100% than 99% :-D

Ant
In a nutshell, philosophy is questions that can never be answered and religion is answers that can never be questioned.
OzAnt

Postby darkumbra » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:37 am

OzAnt wrote:Hi DU,

Before I forget, good to see ya back.

darkumbra wrote:99 followed by 99 9s after the decimal place would have been closer to the mark for me.
That's why I picked 100%. 99.9% (even out to only 1 decimal place) is a lot closer to 100% than 99% :-D

Ant

I figured as much... the 99 9s is just me going over the top... after all... I do have a reputation to maintain.

As to returning? Not sure why I returned. I'd been monitoring the conversations from time to time. Usually while waiting for the coffee to brew - and a few times felt the urge to weigh in on some inanity or other - but bit my tongue and drank my coffee instead. Joined back in when I felt I had something worthwhile (to me - nobody else) to query.

Some players have gone their ways - others have stayed - and new ones have entered the fray. But the conversations really haven't changed much... they don't ever really... not on this forum or others. Same topics - same arguments - different fingers.

Enjoy the new year.
The "god experience"? I have no idea what you are talking about. This sounds like COMPLETE BULLSHIT that you are just making up. How do you define "god experience" in objective scientific terms?-Mitch - a Christian beyond compare.
darkumbra

Postby OzAnt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:46 am

darkumbra wrote:But the conversations really haven't changed much... they don't ever really... not on this forum or others. Same topics - same arguments - different fingers.
Importantly though, in my mind at least; different minds attached to those fingers. As I'm discussing with SB at the mo', you never really know when you might affect somebody's thought processes ...when you might plant a seed in somebody's head that might sprout... heck, years after the fact. I'm fairly confident this happened with me. I'd like to hope that maybe it can happen to others.

darkumbra wrote:Enjoy the new year.
You too, mate.

Ant
OzAnt

Postby darkumbra » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:58 am

OzAnt wrote:
darkumbra wrote:But the conversations really haven't changed much... they don't ever really... not on this forum or others. Same topics - same arguments - different fingers.
Importantly though, in my mind at least; different minds attached to those fingers. As I'm discussing with SB at the mo', you never really know when you might affect somebody's thought processes ...when you might plant a seed in somebody's head that might sprout... heck, years after the fact. I'm fairly confident this happened with me. I'd like to hope that maybe it can happen to others.

darkumbra wrote:Enjoy the new year.
You too, mate.

Ant

True. Let's put it this way - the conversations change at the rate glaciers jump hurdles. I state that with no glee... just a deep sadness.
darkumbra

Postby NH Baritone » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Is anyone else surprised that 3 people answering this poll for atheists felt their doubt in god's existence was 25% or less?
Diversity is the offspring of Liberty. Nonetheless, frightened, mainstream ideologues treat diversity like a bastard stepchild, instead of like a welcome indicator of our overall well-being.
NH Baritone

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheistic Meditator

Postby darkumbra » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:07 pm

NH Baritone wrote:Is anyone else surprised that 3 people answering this poll for atheists felt their doubt in god's existence was 25% or less?

Very little surprises me anymore if people are in any way involved.
darkumbra

Postby spongebob » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:50 pm

Are we sure those 3 people were atheists/agnostics? Maybe some theists chose those answers.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby JustJim » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Don't be too surprised, NHB. Mine is one of the "10%" votes, and I'm not really an atheist. I responded to the poll here because I'm WAY closer to atheism than I am to theism, and I 'accidentally' answered the poll in the Christian thread. Maybe we need an "all others" poll with the same question? I'm sortof an "agnostic-pandeist" -- depending on what day of the week it is and what really good stuff I've been reading recently. But my "conviction" that I'm right in that position is not very strong, and that's why I chose the 10% option (with its description). I'd have given it less, if that had been an option. IOW, I'm less than 10% "convinced" that my "agnostic-pandeist" position is correct. But I'm nearly 100% convinced that IF there is a God, it's nothing at all like the Christian God.... :) I felt the "10%" choice in the poll was the best fit for that....

Jim
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, refuses to go away...."
JustJim

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheist

Postby whoosanightowl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:19 pm

I voted with the 90% because I didn't like the wording of the 10% as well since I am 100% certain that if a God does exist, it is definitely not the one expressed by any religion. But I have to ditto Jim's response pretty much word for word. Thanks Jim for putting it so well! :wink:
Alice:`There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.'
Queen:`...you haven't had much practice, When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Return to Polls