Would you like to see Calrico banned?

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Would you like for Calrico to be banned?

Yes
58%
No
17%
Don't care
25%

Total votes : 12

Would you like to see Calrico banned?

Postby StillSearching » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 pm

Alright folks, I don't know about you but I've grown tired of reading the same old crap, post after post. Ad homs, severe difficulties with the concepts of logic and discussion, rudeness, bigotry, hatred, damnation - that's all there is to this member.

Believe me when I tell you that I am reluctant to call for someone's banishment from any discussion forum. I believe very strongly in freedom of speech. But Calrico has long since become a redundant and idiotic distraction to the mostly otherwise pleasant discussion here.

What are your thoughts?

Oh, and Calrico is welcome to post her argument for staying, though I have a hard time imagining that it will be cogent.

I also realize that the only votes that really count are Emery's and Scott's. But I'd like to hear everyone else's opinion.
"...only an opponent who really understands your view can be a dangerous critic: no one is impressed by criticism that embodies plain misunderstandings of the view criticized."
Richard L. Purtill
StillSearching

Affiliation: Heretic for Jesus

Re: Would you like to see Calrico banned?

Postby darkumbra » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:50 pm

Nope. I feel the same about Calrico as I do about Sarah Palin.

No greater damage is done to their case than when they open their mouth to speak.

Let them speak.
The "god experience"? I have no idea what you are talking about. This sounds like COMPLETE BULLSHIT that you are just making up. How do you define "god experience" in objective scientific terms?-Mitch - a Christian beyond compare.
darkumbra

Postby Pseudonym » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:42 pm

I think it's a fair assumption that nobody would like to see anyone banned. What I'd like to see is for Carico to become a good citizen of this community. I realise that's highly unrealistic.

Most modern Christians have this thing. It's kind of hard to explain. But we want our communities to be open to everyone who might want to come in, no matter who they are. It's the whole "the least of these" thing. The problem is that letting anyone in includes letting people in who may raise safety concerns for the others who are there. This causes huge internal tension.

Anyway, there's this real taboo against excommunication. It's not like Carico is going to destroy our little gathering here. At worst, she is a mild irritant. Perhaps the answer is to just stop scratching.
Pseudonym

Affiliation: Liberal Christian

Postby Salwinder » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:55 am

I think Carico is more than a mild irritant - she is dominating and spoiling nearly all the threads on the forum. Consequently the quality of the discussion on this site has taken a nosedive as people fail to engage her in meaningful debate whilst being subject to abuse, threats of hell and accusations of being liars and slanderers. I'm a supporter of free expression, but when the right to the free expression of one person comes into conflict with the right of the vast majority not to be threatened or abused, I think majority rules. It is therefore with great reluctance that I would support Carico being banned. We're not asking her to change her religious beliefs, we are just asking for respect and tolerance. She has continued to refuse to do this, despite repeated requests to do so.
Last edited by Salwinder on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salwinder
resident
resident

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby darkumbra » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:36 am

Salwinder wrote:We're not asking her to change her religious beliefs, we are just asking for respect and tolerance.

Yes we are... Her religious beliefs are those of intolerance and disrespect - with all the restraints of polite discourse stripped away. Personally I think she's a fascinating example of an 'honest' 'says what she is thinking' fundie - and like all bad examples serves a useful purpose.

Rather than banning the silly woman - just put her on ignore. That keeps her inane blather stored in amber for all those who wish to view it from time to time, and keeps it out of the mainstream conversation.
The "god experience"? I have no idea what you are talking about. This sounds like COMPLETE BULLSHIT that you are just making up. How do you define "god experience" in objective scientific terms?-Mitch - a Christian beyond compare.
darkumbra

Postby JustJim » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:29 am

Pseudonym wrote:It's not like Carico is going to destroy our little gathering here. At worst, she is a mild irritant. Perhaps the answer is to just stop scratching.

Everything Carico says is in response to something someone else said, usually to her. If everyone stops talking to her and ignoring her posts completely, she'll get bored and go away. And putting her on "ignore" (making her a "foe") will prevent seeing what she says, since if no one talks to her or quotes her, it'll never show up on your screen (provided you've logged in). As long as people keep "scratching" at her "itching", she'll just keep it up - forever.

For me, I'm going away from here until she's gone, checking in every few days to see if she's still here. Her bile is just as bad for my soul as it is for her own....

Jim
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, refuses to go away...."
JustJim

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheist

Postby Salwinder » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:53 am

The problem with putting her on your "foe" list is that she dominates every thread to such an extent that even with her direct comments blocked you can't help but see her bile quoted and responded to at every turn - which still ruins the whole point of reading and contributing to the thread.

Are people seriously suggesting that the only way to deal with this is for the forum's best contributors to stop visiting and contributing their views and ideas? Just for the sake of one person spouting invective at everyone? Surely that would be a victory for trolls everywhere......
Salwinder
resident
resident

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby tirtlegrrl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Well, she claims to be leaving. And there have been a couple of more interesting discussions started in the meantime.
"I think it was, 'Blessed are the cheesemakers.'" -Monty Python's Life of Brian
tirtlegrrl

Affiliation: Whatever is both true AND good

Postby Pseudonym » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 pm

darkumbra wrote:Her religious beliefs are those of intolerance and disrespect - with all the restraints of polite discourse stripped away.

Right, and that last qualifier is, IMO, the crucial point. I would like to think that, at least in principle, any opinion that a contributor genuinely holds can be expressed here, if it's done in an appropriate manner.
Pseudonym

Affiliation: Liberal Christian

Postby whoosanightowl » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:09 am

I'm for banning her since she never has anything of value to add to any subject, and is quite rude as well.
Alice:`There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.'
Queen:`...you haven't had much practice, When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Return to Polls