Life-Long Atheists vs. Converts to Atheism

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Were you always an Atheist/Agnostic?

I was born a skeptic.
29%
I had a Christian upbringing, but then I saw the light.
66%
I was an Atheist, then I was deluded into Christianity, and luckly found my way out again. Hallelujah!
5%

Total votes : 73

Life-Long Atheists vs. Converts to Atheism

Postby narsil » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:08 am

We'll put the Atheists/Agnostic folks together for this, but I'd like to know how many of the people on here have always been Atheists or if it's mostly people that have walked away from Christianity for one reason or another (and hence vacinated and jaded against anything Chrisitan).
narsil
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: Christian Geek

Postby Atheist37 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:21 pm

Although I have been a life-long atheist, I was not born a skeptic. In fact I was born quite credulous and gullible. I was a firm believer in Santa Claus and I clearly recall defending my belief on the school bus, despite those who laughed and dismissed my beliefs. My childhood was populated with tooth fairies and easter bunnies, all quite real simply because my parents told me so.

Some atheists (and Christians) think it wrong to tell these lies to children. Won't kids stop trusting their parents when they find out they have been lied to? Actually I think it is a very fun and healthy thing. It is fun because it sparks our childhood imaginations and makes the world seem a magical and wonderous place. It is healthy because it teaches us to differentiate fantasy and reality, something that children are very bad at doing but which is a critical skill for adults in the real world.

So mark me as being "born a skeptic", but realize that I didn't even learn about "God" until my little friends asked me what church I went to. What is "church"? (blank stares) :roll:
Atheist37

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby stickmangrit » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:33 pm

so A37, how's it feel to be a white minority, cause D*** are you outnumbered here.
I see as much misery outta them movin' to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm.
stickmangrit
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: agnostic anti-theist

Postby spongebob » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:44 pm

I walked (ran) away from Christanity at the age of 21. Actually, that's not true. I was taught about Jesus as a child and chided/shamed into baptism when I was 11. I began to follow of my own free will in my early teens and became very serious about it by 18, but by 21 so many questions and contradictions had come up that religion began to seem ridiculous. But even as I read and learned about other religions and possibilities, I strove to cling to my Christian beliefs (out of fear). By the time I was 25 it was pretty clear that I just didn't buy it anymore, but I continued to pretend for appearances. By 30 I had dropped the pretense and became an active atheist. Now almost every new fact about nature that I learn reinforces my worldview. The universe is natural. There are no gods. You can believe in them if you want, but it's just a waste of time.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby Atheist37 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:36 am

Foma. Religion is nothing but foma.

:) :)
Atheist37

Postby spongebob » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:32 am

Here's a fitting book, considering this board. Job: A comedy of justic, by Robert Heinlein. I read this in my first year of college when I was still a Christian and I don't think I got the full value out of it. It's a satire of the Biblical Job. I should read it again.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Re: Life-Long Atheists vs. Converts to Atheism

Postby Omen » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:57 am

narsil wrote:We'll put the Atheists/Agnostic folks together for this, but I'd like to know how many of the people on here have always been Atheists or if it's mostly people that have walked away from Christianity for one reason or another (and hence vacinated and jaded against anything Chrisitan).

Born an atheist, child abused into christianity, escaped the brainwashing later in life.
Omen
recruit
recruit

Postby Poemind » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:40 am

I was born into a preacher's family, and as such was expected to 'be' a Christian. For most of my life I 'played' the part, but never really felt a true belief. For a brief period during my teenage years I 'gave my heart to the lord' as they say. That lasted one full year - during which I prayed for my brothers and other to see the light. I just never saw any fruit from my efforts. I began to question the stuff I was reading in the Bible and eventually pulled away altogether. At first I still believed and just thought that I was doomed to hell and didn't care. But then I moved to a firmer atheistic viewpoint.

I have since abandoned such labels, as I now equate science, math, religion, and god as one and the same. If there be a god, then surely science is hisherit's language. So I have the stance of a Buddhist I guess. As far as I understand Buddhist teachings that is. But a belief in the biblical god is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

Poemind
Poemind
resident
resident

Postby whoosanightowl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:30 am

I have since abandoned such labels, as I now equate science, math, religion, and god as one and the same. If there be a god, then surely science is hisherit's language. So I have the stance of a Buddhist I guess. As far as I understand Buddhist teachings that is. But a belief in the biblical god is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

Poemind,
I am an agnostic deist for much the same reason. I can see the possibility of a "first cause" type of deity, to explain the realities of nature, time, space and motion. But definitely not the kind of God the bible speaks of.
Alice:`There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.'
Queen:`...you haven't had much practice, When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

The 'First Cause'

Postby Poemind » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:21 am

whoosanightowl,

Interesting, that you should use the term 'first cause' as that is exactly the terminology that Poe himself used in his treatise "Eureka" in which he describes what he believed to be the origin and future of everything.

Beautiful, albeit, somewhat ponderous work. He was far ahead of his time.

Twas the 'first cause' for my screen name. :D
Poemind
resident
resident

Postby danielle » Wed May 02, 2007 1:38 pm

Well i was born into an Irish Catholic family and remained religious until I was about 11/12. It came for me to make my Confirmation when I was about 14 and i said I wasn't going to, even though my Dad tried to make me.
I just though it was hypocritical, because even though I may not be religious, for me to stand up before a priest and make all these vows when I don't believe them is quite disrespectful.
I don't really know why i stopped believing. It just stopped making sense to me. And when i was a bit older i did try and make sense of it, and it just never did.

I'm an open minded Atheist though. I'm a university philosophy student, and am actually doing a Philosophy of Religion module at the moment, so being presented with lots of different views is very interesting.
I don't think I will ever believe again though because no literature will convince me or testimony, and I also do not believe that miracles or divine intervention is possible on any levels.
danielle
new recruit
new recruit

Postby spongebob » Wed May 02, 2007 3:09 pm

danielle wrote:Well i was born into an Irish Catholic family and remained religious until I was about 11/12. It came for me to make my Confirmation when I was about 14 and i said I wasn't going to, even though my Dad tried to make me.
I just though it was hypocritical, because even though I may not be religious, for me to stand up before a priest and make all these vows when I don't believe them is quite disrespectful.
I don't really know why i stopped believing. It just stopped making sense to me. And when i was a bit older i did try and make sense of it, and it just never did.

I'm an open minded Atheist though. I'm a university philosophy student, and am actually doing a Philosophy of Religion module at the moment, so being presented with lots of different views is very interesting.
I don't think I will ever believe again though because no literature will convince me or testimony, and I also do not believe that miracles or divine intervention is possible on any levels.

I think Spongebob is in love :smt055
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Atheist37 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 pm

Three words for you, SB:

Match

Dot

Com
Atheist37

Postby JustJim » Thu May 03, 2007 2:26 am

A37,

LOL!!!!
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, refuses to go away...."
JustJim

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheist

Postby spongebob » Thu May 03, 2007 9:15 am

Atheist37 wrote:Three words for you, SB:

Match

Dot

Com

Now that would get me into trouble with my wife.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Next

Return to Polls