Why are you an atheist

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

If you are an atheist, what is the biggest reason?

There is no credible evidence for any god
84%
The problem of pain and evil
No votes
Organized religions are all messed up
5%
I don't like the idea of there being a higher authority
3%
Other (specify)
8%

Total votes : 38

Re: Why are you an atheist

Postby mitchellmckain » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:57 pm

gary_s wrote:Mitch, I think you missed his point. I interpreted Humanguy's comments as Delusion being what he was addressing.

Oh I have no doubt that Dawkin's groupies share his delusion that equates a disagreement with his own subjective opinions with delusion.

gary_s wrote:Skepticism is a tool, sure, but the point is that some of us choose to live a life where skepticism is the primary filter we use to protect ourselves from the nonsense of the world. Yes, it is a choice and it is a way of life to engage in this way. Some people lead with belief. Some people lead with skepticism. And I agree with HM that objective observation is not just for scientists; you are exaggerating this point because there are plenty of ways for people to get objective information about what matters to them. You just have to work a little harder.

And when you compare such to the standards of REAL scientific inquiry all I see is hot air rhetoric and self-important pretending.
Last edited by mitchellmckain on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Postby humanguy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:44 pm

mitchellmckain wrote:
gary_s wrote:Mitch, I think you missed his point. I interpreted Humanguy's comments as Delusion being what he was addressing.

Oh I have no doubt that Dawkin's groupies share his delusion that equates a disagreement with his own subjective opinions with delusion.

gary_s wrote:Skepticism is a tool, sure, but the point is that some of us choose to live a life where skepticism is the primary filter we use to protect ourselves from the nonsense of the world. Yes, it is a choice and it is a way of life to engage in this way. Some people lead with belief. Some people lead with skepticism. And I agree with HM that objective observation is not just for scientists; you are exaggerating this point because there are plenty of ways for people to get objective information about what matters to them. You just have to work a little harder.

And when you compare such to the standards of REAL scientific inqquiry all I see is hot air rhetoric and self-important pretending.

You fucking idiot. NO ONE is comparing ANYTHING to the standards of REAL scientific inqquiry. And I'll tell you something else you put on display daily here. For all your scientific pretensions, your spelling is below high school level.

But none of that has anything to do with the reason we all affectionally call you "Funboy."
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Affiliation: Human

Postby Keep The Reason » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:16 am

humanguy wrote:REAL scientific ->inqquiry<-. And I'll tell you something else you put on display daily here. For all your scientific pretensions, your spelling is below high school level.

But none of that has anything to do with the reason we all affectionally call you "Funboy."

Skitt's Law. :-D
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby humanguy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:
humanguy wrote:REAL scientific ->inqquiry<-. And I'll tell you something else you put on display daily here. For all your scientific pretensions, your spelling is below high school level.

Skitt's Law. :-D

?
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Postby Keep The Reason » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Did you click on the link?

Skitt's Law: Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself.

You misspelled "inquiry" in a post chiding mitchellmckain on his spelling.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Postby humanguy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:12 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:Did you click on the link?

Skitt's Law: Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself.

But surely you noticed that I put the misspelled word in italics, Mitch's misspelled word.

Sheesh.
humanguy

Postby mitchellmckain » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Typos are not the same thing as mispelling. This is the height of ad-hominem diversions that is pathetic beyond words.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Keep The Reason » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:12 pm

humanguy wrote:

But surely you noticed that I put the misspelled word in italics, Mitch's misspelled word.

Sheesh.

Ah, no I did not notice it. Retract the Skitts Law comment. Carry on. I believe you were saying something about Mitch being a "fucking idiot"?
Keep The Reason

Postby humanguy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:22 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:
humanguy wrote:

Sheesh.

Ah, no I did not notice it. Retract the Skitts Law comment. Carry on. I believe you were saying something about Mitch being a "fucking idiot"?

I wasn't saying something about it, I was saying it straight out.
humanguy

Postby humanguy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:26 pm

mitchellmckain wrote:This is the height of ad-hominem diversions that is pathetic beyond words.

High praise from the Master himself.
humanguy

Previous

Return to Polls