Adoption by same sex couples?

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Should not be allowed.
20%
Should be allowed under some conditions.
5%
Should not be any different than adoption by other couples.
40%
Adoption agencies should not be allowed to discriminate on this criterion.
35%

Total votes : 20

Postby mitchellmckain » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:42 pm

I personally feel that same sex couples should have the same rights to adoption as anyone else. I certainly think that couples of any sort should be preferred over individuals. This will have difficulties when it comes to adoptions agencies who make their own list of requirements and I would not favor forcing such agencies on this issue, but only insist that they be above board and frank about whatever their criterion may be. So I would not be opposed for example, people setting up an adoption agency that completely focuses on finding orphaned muslim children to be placed with elligible muslim families, which may preclude same sex couples as well. This means that people can ALSO set up an adoption agency that exclusively finds children for same sex couples to adopt.

So what do you think?
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Re: Adoption by same sex couples?

Postby NH Baritone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:12 pm

What is the difference between options 3 & 4?

Aside from your answer, adoption is a state function assisted by private agencies.

There are several reasons for this, but primary among them is the fact that parentless children are wards of the state and are only permitted to live in licensed foster homes.

Because these private agencies perform a "government function," they are bound by the same nondiscrimination laws that bind all government agencies. Thus, when Catholic Charities of DC refused to place children with same-sex foster or adoptive parents, they loss their license to provide adoption services.

Private adoptions, often arranged before the baby is born, are not bound by the same restrictions because at no time is the child a ward of the state. But the birth mother or father must be able to care for the child until the adoption is finalized. (In private adoptions, wealthy adoptive parents often financially care for the birth mom before & after birth.)
Diversity is the offspring of Liberty. Nonetheless, frightened, mainstream ideologues treat diversity like a bastard stepchild, instead of like a welcome indicator of our overall well-being.
NH Baritone

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheistic Meditator

Return to Polls