Prostitution

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Should prostitution be legalized?

Yes, prostitution should be legalized.
36%
Prostitution should be legalized, but taxed heavily and highly regulated.
27%
Prostitution should be decriminalized, not legalized.
18%
Prostitution should be neither decriminalized nor legalized.
6%
I support legalization, but it should be left up to the states.
3%
I don't support legalization, but it should be left up to the states.
6%
Undecided.
3%

Total votes : 33

Prostitution

Postby Loki » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:40 pm

I was just curious how people felt about the legalization of prostitution in America, and why you feel the way you do.
“Her new boss was an undead automaton from hell, true. But, no job is perfect.”
Loki
recruit
recruit

Affiliation: Liberal Christian

Re: Prostitution

Postby humanguy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:24 pm

I'm all for prostitution being not illegal, but I very much doubt that will ever happen in this country.

Why is this a topic for this forum? Is there something in the Bible that tells Christians to condemn prostitution?

Here's another question that comes to my mind. Has anyone here ever paid to have sexual intercourse?
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Affiliation: Human

Postby Loki » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 pm

humanguy wrote:I'm all for prostitution being not illegal, but I very much doubt that will ever happen in this country.

Why is this a topic for this forum? Is there something in the Bible that tells Christians to condemn prostitution?

Here's another question that comes to my mind. Has anyone here ever paid to have sexual intercourse?

There's a politics subsection of this forum, as well as a science section, a news section, and a section for just talking. So I'm not sure what you mean by "Why is this a topic for this forum".

But the Bible has quite a bit to say on it. For example Proverbs 23:27-28 can be interpreted - and largely is - to mean prostitution is immoral.
Loki
recruit
recruit

Postby humanguy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Loki wrote:But the Bible has quite a bit to say on it. For example Proverbs 23:27-28 can be interpreted - and largely is - to mean prostitution is immoral.

Is that the "official" position that Christianity takes on prostitution, that it's immoral?
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Postby Loki » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:48 pm

humanguy wrote:Is that the "official" position that Christianity takes on prostitution, that it's immoral?

I'm not sure how or why I could or would know such a thing.
Loki
recruit
recruit

Postby humanguy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Loki wrote:
humanguy wrote:Is that the "official" position that Christianity takes on prostitution, that it's immoral?

I'm not sure how or why I could or would know such a thing.

But...you're a Christian. How is it that you don't know what position Christianity has on Prostitution?
humanguy

Postby Loki » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:59 pm

humanguy wrote:But...you're a Christian. How is it that you don't know what position Christianity has on Prostitution?

Can I ask you what the 'official' position of atheism is, then?

There's no reason I should expect you to know such a thing, because I assume you are your own person with your own views who doesn't need to know what the majority of atheists' believe before making up your own mind.

Also, I'm not really sure what you are asking for. Do you want to know what the majority opinion is?
Loki
recruit
recruit

Postby humanguy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Loki wrote:
humanguy wrote:But...you're a Christian. How is it that you don't know what position Christianity has on Prostitution?

Can I ask you what the 'official' position of atheism is, then?

There's no reason I should expect you to know such a thing, because I assume you are your own person with your own views who doesn't need to know what the majority of atheists' believe before making up your own mind.

Also, I'm not really sure what you are asking for. Do you want to know what the majority opinion is?

Okay, I'll ask it another way. According to the Bible, is prostitution a sin?
humanguy

Postby gary_s » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:52 am

I think it should be left up to each state, but when legalized, it should be highly regulated. The reason is that while I see this as similar to drug use in that people should be free to engage in activities that involve their own bodies, prostitution has a long history of predatory and abusive behavior to trap young girls into the profession. Once there, it can often be difficult for them to escape and they are extremely vulnerable to abuse by both their employer and their customers. So I think the world's oldest profession needs the world's strongest union to protect the workers. "Pimping" should be a criminal offense subject to harsh penalties.

All that said, I have a funny story about prostitution. Someone I know once went to Nevada, where it is legal. He went to an establishment where sex was on the menu, and was told to pay $60 just to get in. He did and then was given a group of girls to chose from. He made his choice, paid an additional $200 and was told to go into a room and take a shower and the girl would be right in. The girl came in wearing a swim suit, danced with him for a bit, then said she would be in the bedroom. When he got out she was not there. He put his clothes back on and opened the bedroom door. A big bouncer was there who told him to leave. So, he paid $260 for a shower. :P
Just trying to get along
gary_s

Affiliation: agnostic

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:44 pm

A lot of the prostitution condemned in the Old Testament was religious prostitution which of course is a whole other ball game because if some of those old religions were still around then recognising people's religious rights would mean recognizing their sexual rites if you see what I mean. But so we are clear on what the Bible says here is Saint Paul who I suppose can be taken as a spokesman for Christianity:
St Paul wrote:The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! 16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, l“The two will become one flesh.” 17 But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. 18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

I like what Gary says here though. A good novel on modern day prostitution from a Christian perspective is 'The Heartbreaker' by Susan Howatch.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Postby Morphead » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Prostitution is legal in Canada the girls/boys are given licenses after being submitted to some tests for STDs. Men can buy "dates" from a dating service any sex is then negotiated between the customer and "date" directly. Dating services are regulated on how they can advertise and who they can hire. Any prostitution outside of this system is still illegal. It is absolutely insane to try and criminalize prostitution in my opinion the risk of getting disease from unregulated prostitution is just way too high. Also an unregulated sex trade is just asking for exploitation and human trafficking.
Morphead
new recruit
new recruit

Affiliation: None

Postby mitchellmckain » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:40 pm

I chose illegal but decriminalized mostly to indicate that I don't think a simple answer is appropriate. I don't think prostitution should ever be legal or acceptable to the point where it can ever be a big business. There is too much implied power over employees in such a situation. Illegality on an individual level however is probably unwise and ultimately unfair. I don't think a penal approach is the right way to go about discouraging prostitution on an individual basis. I don't think that the prostitute should be treated as any more of a criminal than the "john" (i.e. those who cater to them). I certainly think that those who abuse and exploit others like the pimps and human traffickers need to be the primary focus of prosecution efforts. I am not sure I like the heavy taxing approach either because that makes the government and thus all the citizens of such a society into pimps themselves.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Razor » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:26 am

why should the actions of a adult be restricted in such a way? In principle, there is no reason at all that someone can't make money from having sex. It really isn't far from trophy wives at all, it is just up front and honest about it.
Razor

Postby Keep The Reason » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:27 am

Buy a woman dinner, a movie, some flowers, some jewelry and bed her, and you've wooed her legally.

Turn it into cash and bed her, and you're both criminals.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby Razor » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:08 am

Keep The Reason wrote:Buy a woman dinner, a movie, some flowers, some jewelry and bed her, and you've wooed her legally.

Turn it into cash and bed her, and you're both criminals.

Yeah, but if it wasn't illegal we wouldn't be able to impose our opinions on someone else...
Razor

Next

Return to Polls