Level of education?

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

What is your highest completed education?

High School
12%
2 yr College
10%
4 yr College
45%
Master's
25%
Doctorate
8%

Total votes : 51

Level of education?

Postby koin4life » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:55 am

I am curious to find out everyone's level of education. I would think that those that have higher degrees might be the ones that tend toward atheism.
koin4life
veteran
veteran

Postby Slim » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:49 pm

I have a BSc (hons) in Computer Science - is that the equivalent of '4 yr college'?
Slim
recruit
recruit

Postby koin4life » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:44 pm

I am not sure what a BSc (hons) is, care to explain?
koin4life
veteran
veteran

BSc (hons)

Postby Atheist37 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:30 am

Yes, a BSc is roughly equivalent to '4 years' even though it seems like a lot of students are finishing in 5 or 6. In most questionaires, if you don't have some kind of graduate degree, you have '4 years of college' even if it took you 15 to earn all of those undergrad degrees.
Atheist37

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby Poemind » Tue May 29, 2007 12:08 pm

I selected 4 years of college as well, but I actually have two degrees, one a BA in computer science, and a BM in Music Composition - so I'm kind of pushing that 4 year definition as well. And I also have a teacher certification for which I had to attend post-graduate classes to receive as well. But I don't have a master's yet. Although my wife is trying to talk me into that right now.

I don't consider myself an atheist, although I certainly did for a time in my life. But I'm most definitely not a christian either. An impersonal deist is how I would describe it.
"My goal is to try to get people into a state of generalized agnosticism, not agnosticism about God alone, but agnosticism about everything."Robert Anton Wilson
Poemind
resident
resident

Re: Level of education?

Postby Nurvingiel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:20 pm

I selected "4 years college" because I have been at university for (more than) four years. I'll finally be getting my Bachelor's in Forest Resources Management this year.
Yes Virginia, there is such thing as Christian Deism.
Nurvingiel
recruit
recruit

Postby flawedprefect » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:33 am

I have a university degree - a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies. I was at university a total of 7 years. I've been working as a video editor for over 8. Am an atheist, tho the subjects I chose had little to do with notions of being, theology or science. Those were just subjects I am passionate about and have a keen interest in, and have more to do with me being an atheist than my degree.
My Karma ran over your Dogma
flawedprefect
recruit
recruit

Affiliation: Pan-Athiest

Postby NH Baritone » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:00 am

Bachelor's degree, earned at a Methodist college, double major in music (vocal performance) and religion. After college I spent a year in seminary before dropping out, started a master's in music but hated it and left after a month, and finally started taking psychology classes. I finally got my master's degree in community counseling (now mental health counseling), and later a post-master's certificate in marriage & family therapy. I've been practicing as a psychotherapist for about 25 years.
Diversity is the offspring of Liberty. Nonetheless, frightened, mainstream ideologues treat diversity like a bastard stepchild, instead of like a welcome indicator of our overall well-being.
NH Baritone

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheistic Meditator

Postby Tim-the-Hermit » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:53 pm

I have an LL.B (hons) but not a very good one.
Tim-the-Hermit
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: soft atheist

Postby spongebob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:35 am

B.S. in Chemical Engineering, 1988.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby TheFonz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:41 pm

BA: double major in Education and History
Masters: Instructional Design (education)
National Board Certified Teacher (NBCT)
currently pursuing Doctorate
I happen to know some of the other Christians on the forum. Several of them have advanced degrees as well...
Simul Iustus Et Peccator
TheFonz
recruit
recruit

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Mr. Sluagh » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:55 pm

Went to a liberal arts college in Illinois called Knox College for two years, switched from creative writing to anthropology to creative writing to classics to English literature, got sick of liberal arts, now taking a voluntary leave of absence and going to community college back in my home town of Berkeley, CA where I'm trying computer science of all things and thinking of transferring to San Francisco State or UC Santa Cruz.

I answered "2 yr college".
"The salvation you have hoped for these past two thousand years is here. You are being told that in this paragraph. And it is true."
--L. Ron Hubbard, quoted in the Eris-damned spam the Church of Scientology keeps sending me.
Mr. Sluagh
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby Rian » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:21 pm

B.S. in Computer Science, with a minor in math and simulation.
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Postby whoosanightowl » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:11 pm

I have an associates degree from the local community college where I also received my certification in dental assisting.
Alice:`There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.'
Queen:`...you haven't had much practice, When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Return to Polls