Your daughter says she is psychic

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Your daughter says she has been having prophetic dreams and visions. What do you do?

Go ask your pastor what you should do.
1
5%
You schedule and appointment with a psychiatrist.
7
32%
Try to find out who has been talking about this kind of stuff with her.
3
14%
Explain to her why this stuff isn't real.
3
14%
Explain to her why this stuff is dangerous.
0
No votes
Look up home remedies in the library or online.
0
No votes
Ask for all the facts and show her which are believable.
5
23%
Become very interested in this sort of thing so she knows you love her.
1
5%
Catalog this with other things she is into that don't interest you so much.
2
9%
Tell her this is really cool and to let you know if she needs any help.
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 22

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby mitchellmckain » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:04 pm

Aaron wrote:Huh, I suppose I never thought of it like that before.

I am not saying any of this is real any more than dragons and fairies -- cause I have no experience showing me it is real. But the same can be said of many other religions, and it doesn't seem right to me to jump to the identification of it with evil just because it is not my religion. Get what I am saying?
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:52 am

mitchellmckain wrote:
Aaron wrote:Huh, I suppose I never thought of it like that before.

I am not saying any of this is real any more than dragons and fairies -- cause I have no experience showing me it is real. But the same can be said of many other religions, and it doesn't seem right to me to jump to the identification of it with evil just because it is not my religion. Get what I am saying?

Yeah, I think so. On the other hand I do believe there are only two kingdoms in spiritual matters, here it seems the instruction to test the spirits becomes very relevant then.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Aaron
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 3074
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Alaska
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby mitchellmckain » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Aaron wrote:Yeah, I think so. On the other hand I do believe there are only two kingdoms in spiritual matters, here it seems the instruction to test the spirits becomes very relevant then.


But what does "two kingdoms" mean exactly? Does that mean some people belong to God's kingdom and thus they do no wrong and that everyone else belongs to Satan's kingdom and everything they do is completely evil? I sure hope not!

Ok, so how about we shift from actions of people to intentions of actions? People are a mix of good and evil and sometimes they do good and sometimes they do evil and sometimes when they try to do good they get bad results. But perhaps you can say that instead of two kingdoms of people there are two kingdoms of actions, one directed by good intentions and one guided by evil intentions. It is an improvement but it still has problems because many times actions have a mix of motivations. Indeed many theologians of historical Christianity wondered if any action by fallen humans is ever totally free of some element of selfish motivation.

I certainly believe in heaven and hell as a polarization of ultimate human desitiny, but the idea everything is either engineered completely by spirits who are totally good or completely by spirits which are totally evil sounds incredible to me. That looks to me like an invention of people trying to justify judgement in defiance of Jesus' command to refrain from judgement. AND you should make a distinction between judgement and caution. Back to the question of the poll, you can both withhold judgment AND abstain from interest and participation. I realize that this can be very difficult as a parent, but the same realities apply. Being a parent will only make inappropriate judgement that much more destructive and harmful. But to be sure, caution which is always advisable can certainly support encouraging your child to be cautious -- there is no blame in that.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:34 pm

mitchellmckain wrote:But what does "two kingdoms" mean exactly? Does that mean some people belong to God's kingdom and thus they do no wrong and that everyone else belongs to Satan's kingdom and everything they do is completely evil? I sure hope not!.

This is what I was thinking of when I wrote that:

But Jesus said, "Do not hinder him, for there is no one who will perform a miracle in My name, and be able soon afterward to speak evil of Me. "For he who is not against us is for us. - Mark 9:39,40

And I don't think there is anyone of humans who does no wrong who belongs to God's kingdom except Jesus, and as far as me making specific judgments about which humans are part of God's kingdom and which are not, I want to stay far away from that, that's God's business and their business (I will correct and instruct and rebuke when I feel like I should, but I do not want to go anywhere near making that kind of judgment).
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Aaron
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 3074
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Alaska
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby mitchellmckain » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Aaron wrote:This is what I was thinking of when I wrote that:

But Jesus said, "Do not hinder him, for there is no one who will perform a miracle in My name, and be able soon afterward to speak evil of Me. "For he who is not against us is for us. - Mark 9:39,40

And I don't think there is anyone of humans who does no wrong who belongs to God's kingdom except Jesus, and as far as me making specific judgments about which humans are part of God's kingdom and which are not, I want to stay far away from that, that's God's business and their business (I will correct and instruct and rebuke when I feel like I should, but I do not want to go anywhere near making that kind of judgment).


But do you take this passage to mean that anyone who is not Christian is therefore an enemy of God and Christ??? And what of those who perform miracles and do not speak evil of Jesus? Are not doctors and surgeons doing this everyday? Will you say that doctors are demonic because they do not call on the power of Jesus? Are doctors evil and doing the work of the devil if they are not Christian? I certainly hope you don't. Authors? Painters? Film makers? Sculptors? Scientists? Are only the Christian ones doing anything good? Or does this only apply to things you are unfamiliar with or do not understand? Suppose they do something you have never seen before like acupuncture, do you say they are evil because they are not Christian and do not call upon Jesus?


I have to say that the recent influx of Magical Christians in the General Discussion section have me somewhat bewildered like I have stepped into the Twilight Zone. I think Native American beliefs (for example) would sound more rational to me.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:00 pm

mitchellmckain wrote:But do you take this passage to mean that anyone who is not Christian is therefore an enemy of God and Christ???

No, I do not take it to mean that, the man Jesus was talking about wasn't a Christian since Jesus hadn't even died yet. I'm also reminded of the man some disciples met in Acts who was only teaching the message of John the Baptist and who was not a Christian. But then I am also reminded of Simon the sorcerer and I would not say that he was doing the work of God. In general I believe if you are loving others, forgiving, showing mercy, grace and kindness, a seeker of justice and a lover of truth, basically doing good, then I believe you will find God strengthening your way, you are on the side of God.

Mitch, I feel you are being overly critical.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Aaron
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 3074
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Alaska
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby mitchellmckain » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:28 pm

Aaron wrote:
mitchellmckain wrote:But do you take this passage to mean that anyone who is not Christian is therefore an enemy of God and Christ???

No, I do not take it to mean that, the man Jesus was talking about wasn't a Christian since Jesus hadn't even died yet. I'm also reminded of the man some disciples met in Acts who was only teaching the message of John the Baptist and who was not a Christian. But then I am also reminded of Simon the sorcerer and I would not say that he was doing the work of God. In general I believe if you are loving others, forgiving, showing mercy, grace and kindness, a seeker of justice and a lover of truth, basically doing good, then I believe you will find God strengthening your way, you are on the side of God.

Mitch, I feel you are being overly critical.

Personality characteristic, I am afraid. I have a classic perfectionist personality profile. It make me wary of the way things are said, seeing the ways in which they can be misused or produce the wrong conclusions. I tend to look for better ways to say them. I think some of this comes from my psychology inundated upbringing where I learned that the language we use in the things we tell ourselves can often be source of trouble in the living of our lives.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:15 pm

mitchellmckain wrote:Personality characteristic, I am afraid. I have a classic perfectionist personality profile. It make me wary of the way things are said, seeing the ways in which they can be misused or produce the wrong conclusions. I tend to look for better ways to say them. I think some of this comes from my psychology inundated upbringing where I learned that the language we use in the things we tell ourselves can often be source of trouble in the living of our lives.

Oh it's not a big deal. How do you know you have that profile? Is there a test? I would be curious to take it for myself. I think I struggle with perfectionism plus ambition plus need of affirmation if that's even a thing so that sometimes I can put my goals and how I will look for achieving them ahead of people, it's something I've been convicted about recently.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Aaron
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 3074
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Alaska
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby mitchellmckain » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:36 am

Aaron wrote:
mitchellmckain wrote:Personality characteristic, I am afraid. I have a classic perfectionist personality profile. It make me wary of the way things are said, seeing the ways in which they can be misused or produce the wrong conclusions. I tend to look for better ways to say them. I think some of this comes from my psychology inundated upbringing where I learned that the language we use in the things we tell ourselves can often be source of trouble in the living of our lives.

Oh it's not a big deal. How do you know you have that profile? Is there a test? I would be curious to take it for myself. I think I struggle with perfectionism plus ambition plus need of affirmation if that's even a thing so that sometimes I can put my goals and how I will look for achieving them ahead of people, it's something I've been convicted about recently.


It was a test I took at seminary which is quite some time ago. It was quite elaborate test resulting in a graph which you then compared to collection of such graphs to see which one was most similar.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby spongebob » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:17 am

mitchellmckain wrote:I have to say that the recent influx of Magical Christians in the General Discussion section have me somewhat bewildered like I have stepped into the Twilight Zone. I think Native American beliefs (for example) would sound more rational to me.


:lol: Welcome to our world, Mitch! I have neck pains from shaking my head at these people.


It was a test I took at seminary which is quite some time ago. It was quite elaborate test resulting in a graph which you then compared to collection of such graphs to see which one was most similar.


I would like to see that graph. Something tells me there's this clump of dots representing "most" people and there's this dot waaaay over in the corner by itself. That's Mitch. No offense intended of course, I consider being weird the utmost compliment!
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
User avatar
spongebob
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5783
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:59 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL
Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:33 am

spongebob wrote:I would like to see that graph. Something tells me there's this clump of dots representing "most" people and there's this dot waaaay over in the corner by itself. That's Mitch. No offense intended of course, I consider being weird the utmost compliment!

Indeed, it's one of my favorite things about Mitch, he isn't afraid to be who he is.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Aaron
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 3074
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Alaska
Affiliation: Christian

Previous

Return to Polls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest