Your daughter says she is psychic

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Your daughter says she has been having prophetic dreams and visions. What do you do?

Go ask your pastor what you should do.
1
5%
You schedule and appointment with a psychiatrist.
7
32%
Try to find out who has been talking about this kind of stuff with her.
3
14%
Explain to her why this stuff isn't real.
3
14%
Explain to her why this stuff is dangerous.
0
No votes
Look up home remedies in the library or online.
0
No votes
Ask for all the facts and show her which are believable.
5
23%
Become very interested in this sort of thing so she knows you love her.
1
5%
Catalog this with other things she is into that don't interest you so much.
2
9%
Tell her this is really cool and to let you know if she needs any help.
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 22

Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby mitchellmckain » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:28 pm

Haven't done so many of these. Didn't remember you needed an OP too.


I suppose what I am really interested in is how much the fundies of both theist and atheist varieties essentially agree on this.
Last edited by mitchellmckain on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Keep The Reason » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:56 pm

You don't offer me a choice of what I'd do, nor do you note the age of the daughter. So I won't choose any of the above but will explain what I'd do in such a case.

If the daughter were a little child, like pre-10 or so, I'd categorize it the same way I'd categorize monsters under the bed and in the closet, especially if it upset her. I might incorporate the 11+ items as well, though really it would depend on her maturity level.

At 11+, I would talk to her and let her explain it, and then suggest we do an experiment on it: Let's record the claims, with the idea that we'd see if they came true or not. I'd also do a project of research with her, showing how other people have made such claims and then let her figure out if they came true or not. "End of the World" claims would be the easiest to discredit. Part of the discussion would be how often the dreams people have don't come true at all, and I'd discuss how we always need to record the hits and the misses, and further how sometimes, given billions of people dreaming trillions of things over years, sometimes hits are going to happen just on coincidence and statistics. ("Aunt Minnie called me in my dream many many times, and then one time when I dreamed it, she called me! ").

And of course, if she is having deep emotional responses to it, I would consider at some point therapy, but again this would depend on who she is, and how this impacts her.

If she dreamed something incredibly impossible and it happened, I'd say, "Well kiddo, looks like you ARE psychic!" But that would have to be one outlandish event.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10371
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby spongebob » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:27 am

This is an interesting poll, one of the most interesting I've seen in a while. What gave you the idea for it?

I suppose there could be more options to choose from but I found a few that I felt were appropriate. My answers are probably easy to predict for anyone who's interacted with me. I'm a stern skeptic but also a dreamer, so I require a great amount of evidence for any unusual claims but I also have a great curiosity and for that one has to be able to suspend disbelief at least a little. In a case like this my greatest concern would be for the mental health of the child, but knowing how children are, I think allowances can be made and some exploration of this belief might be worthwhile. With children, I find that almost everything they express comes from some need or experience they have, so to ignore something like this might even be more dangerous than accepting it.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
User avatar
spongebob
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5783
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:59 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL
Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm going to pull a Mitch and say there is no option to represent what I would do so I'll make up my own.

First I believe there's a difference between psychic and having prophetic dreams and visions so I found that inconsistency kind of problematic for making my 3 choices. Second how about just talking to her and listening to what she has to say without jumping to conclusions at all!
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Aaron
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Alaska
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Simplyme » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:13 pm

That's funny I see them both as equals.
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby mitchellmckain » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:24 am

spongebob wrote:This is an interesting poll, one of the most interesting I've seen in a while. What gave you the idea for it?

A fictional novel I was reading.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby mitchellmckain » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:29 am

Simplyme wrote:That's funny I see them both as equals.


If you claim it is from God then it is ok for some of these Xtians, I guess. Or maybe it is the invitation to the church to vett and thus contain what you see which makes it ok with them -- or is it just getting a piece of the action which makes them happy?
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:11 pm

Simplyme wrote:That's funny I see them both as equals.

mitchellmckain wrote:If you claim it is from God then it is ok for some of these Xtians, I guess. Or maybe it is the invitation to the church to vett and thus contain what you see which makes it ok with them -- or is it just getting a piece of the action which makes them happy?

The difference I was referring to is the source of the visions or dreams. My position I believe is Biblical and is that seeking them from a place other than God is not good.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Aaron
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Alaska
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Simplyme » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:37 pm

But both sources, in my view, are on equal grounds. Neither can provode visions or dreams.
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby spongebob » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:11 am

When I was young I really did believe this kind of thing was possible; I was open to all sorts of magical and paranormal ideas then. "In search of" was my favorite show on TV. I even read books on the subjects and tried techniques and practices that promised to grant you different powers. Of course none of this worked and I eventually began to realize all of this was just a scam. Even that was long before I became a skeptic. My point of this being that if such a thing were real and one of my kids possessed such power, I would want to first convince myself it was real, then get an outside opinion. If it were determined to be real, just imagine the notoriety and the value to society such powers would bring. Then again, imagine the danger as well. It might attract the attention of the wrong kind of people. Maybe this wouldn't be such a "gift" at all. 8)
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
User avatar
spongebob
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5783
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:59 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL
Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Simplyme » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:54 am

I have played with Ouija boards, Astral Projection, Satanic Ritual, Xtian Rituals, Mayan rituals, Black Magic, White magic, Séance, Tai Chi, Yoga, etc...etc...etc....

You know how many spiritual experience I got out of it? ZERO!!!!!!!!!!
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Simplyme wrote:I have played with Ouija boards, Astral Projection, Satanic Ritual, Xtian Rituals, Mayan rituals, Black Magic, White magic, Séance, Tai Chi, Yoga, etc...etc...etc....

You know how many spiritual experience I got out of it? ZERO!!!!!!!!!!

That's because you're an atheist. It would be counterproductive for the kingdom of darkness to involve you in their goings on. And just in case your mouth is open in total disbelief for what I just wrote I assure you I'm being totally serious. :-)
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Aaron
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Alaska
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Simplyme » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Aaron wrote:
Simplyme wrote:I have played with Ouija boards, Astral Projection, Satanic Ritual, Xtian Rituals, Mayan rituals, Black Magic, White magic, Séance, Tai Chi, Yoga, etc...etc...etc....

You know how many spiritual experience I got out of it? ZERO!!!!!!!!!!

That's because you're an atheist. It would be counterproductive for the kingdom of darkness to involve you in their goings on. And just in case your mouth is open in total disbelief for what I just wrote I assure you I'm being totally serious. :-)


Im an atheist now after my quest for the spiritual lead to nothing. You know this....Aaron. I was a xtian for most my life. Why the games?


Mind you i busted a gut with the "Kingdom of Darkness"
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Jesus Raves » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Aaron wrote:That's because you're an atheist. It would be counterproductive for the kingdom of darkness to involve you in their goings on. And just in case your mouth is open in total disbelief for what I just wrote I assure you I'm being totally serious. :-)

Atheists can still believe in ghosts and other paranormal phenomena. I know a few who do, including one of my closest friends.
User avatar
Jesus Raves
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Re: Your daughter says she is psychic

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Simplyme wrote:Im an atheist now after my quest for the spiritual lead to nothing. You know this....Aaron. I was a xtian for most my life. Why the games?

Hm, good point. I didn't consider the transient period. I was foolish to make assumptions about things I know nothing about anyway.

Simplyme wrote:Mind you i busted a gut with the "Kingdom of Darkness"

:-)
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Aaron
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Alaska
Affiliation: Christian

Next

Return to Polls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest