Should divorce be banned?

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Should divorce be banned?

Yes
3%
No
94%
Maybe
3%

Total votes : 33

Postby koin4life » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:15 am

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse here? Didn't gay condemnation begin before their drive for validation? Are you saying that gays have been "singled out" because of their public stand for validation, which they began because of religious condemnation and persecution?

I'm not sure which one came first. I am saying it is my opinion that gay-activists were more vocal first. I obviously could be wrong. But, it hasn't been until gay activists have demanded marriage that people have tried to pass legislation banning gay marriage. People didn't try to ban gay marriage before the gay-rights groups spoke up about it.

Polygamy is hardly an issue anywhere but Utah, so I imagine it doesn't even appear on the radar of most churches. But divorce is another matter. Divorces outnumber homosexuals by millions to 1. Why the tacit acceptance of protestant churches?

I agree that both are bad. I think they are equally bad. I think the rest of society does not have as much of a problem with divorce is because often times divorce is an escape from a bad marriage, and thus people are happier. I still believe it is wrong. But, if divorcees started demanding equal rights of married couples, then I imagine they would have more of an outcry against them as well.

Why do you suppose there's no controversy over this? I imagine divorced ministers must outnumber homosexual ministers by a factor of 100.
During my life, I have known 10+ pastors from various Churches, and none of them have been divorced. Now, I am not saying this is always like this, but I think it's fairly reasonable to say that Christian churches that follow the Bible do not have a pastor that was divorced. I think the numbers wouldn't be as skewed as you think.
John 13:34 "This is my command, love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
koin4life
veteran
veteran

Postby spongebob » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:54 am

During my life, I have known 10+ pastors from various Churches, and none of them have been divorced. Now, I am not saying this is always like this, but I think it's fairly reasonable to say that Christian churches that follow the Bible do not have a pastor that was divorced. I think the numbers wouldn't be as skewed as you think.

That doesn't sound like a representative sample to me, koin. I have 10 churches within 1 mile of my house. And I do know several divorced ministers and some who did other naughty things as well. But even if I'm wrong and only 1% of ministers are divorced (that's at least .5 per county, which is a total of 41 in Mississippi). Yet we still hear nothing of it, and they are pressumably operating under god's approval in a relationship that you have stated is sinful. This seems highly hypcritical to me for a group that enojoys criticizing others so much.

I still believe it is wrong. But, if divorcees started demanding equal rights of married couples, then I imagine they would have more of an outcry against them as well.

I'm not sure what you mean. Who's rights are inequal? Which rights are you talking about?

I'm not sure which one came first. I am saying it is my opinion that gay-activists were more vocal first. I obviously could be wrong. But, it hasn't been until gay activists have demanded marriage that people have tried to pass legislation banning gay marriage. People didn't try to ban gay marriage before the gay-rights groups spoke up about it.

Perhaps we need the voice of a gay person here, but it's my understanding that homosexuality has been oppressed far longer than any gay-rights movement has existed. If you are considering only the move to validate same-gender marriage, then consider this: It was not illegal nor was it constitutionally banned in most states a few years ago. There was simply no legal precedent for it. So, when a gay couple went down to city hall get a marriage license, they were rejected. So they sued the city for denying them the right to do something that was not prohibited by law. This set off an avalance of laws banning and bashing of gay marriage. So who started what? If we're talking hyperbola, I've heard far more bashing of gay marriage by conservatives than I have support from any angle. The bashing far exceeds the supportive voices.

This is also a good logic check. Why would gay couples need to be *vocal about something that isn't an issue? If gays were allowed to get married just a heteros, there would be nothing to get vocal about, would there?
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby Emery » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:12 pm

koin4life wrote:But, it hasn't been until gay activists have demanded marriage that people have tried to pass legislation banning gay marriage. People didn't try to ban gay marriage before the gay-rights groups spoke up about it.

They didn't try to ban it, because it was already prohibited. Isn't that like saying "people didn't try to ban women from voting until the women's suffrage movement?" The whole reason for the movement, was because it WAS banned. Perhaps it wasn't spelled out as clearly until after people started protesting, but the fact that they were not allowed these activities before is the same as a ban.
They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea. - Sir Francis Bacon
Emery

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby SkepticOFBible » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:59 pm

I do think they should be held accountable. I don't think a group should be singled out, although I think gay-rights groups have "forced the hand" because they have been the most outspoken about it.

What legal ban are there against remarriage as compared to Gay Marriage? Every State in the US, including the bible belt have no prohibiting against Remarriage?

So if Gays have recently started demanding rights for their marriage, and christians are out on the street protesting it, then by that standard, there should be a uproar by now by christians against Remarriage laws. Why is it in the sermons, remarriage is not talked about?And if I am not mistake, nearly all protestant church allow remarriages?
Religion is the only enterprise which blames the failure of its' product on its' customers

Agnostic Review of Christianity
SkepticOFBible
resident
resident

Re: Should divorce be banned?

Postby Nurvingiel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:31 pm

I believe that banning divorce would only have a negative effect on society. If a marriage is no longer functioning despite its participants best efforts, then they should be allowed to go their separate ways. If the government tried to regulate this they would be interfering far too much in people's personal lives.

(That was an emphatic "No." ;) )
Yes Virginia, there is such thing as Christian Deism.
Nurvingiel
recruit
recruit

Previous

Return to Polls