Your Ideology / Your Family

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

What is the relation of religion to your relationship with your parent/s?

No problem. We agree on everything!
8%
Some disagreements, but mostly open.
38%
Some disagreements, Some close mindedness
15%
Many disagreements, mostly closed mindedness
15%
We don't talk about religion!
23%

Total votes : 26

Your Ideology / Your Family

Postby Poemind » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:23 pm

I was just wondering how many people have serious differences with their parents/family over religious choices. I for one have a wall between myself and my preacher father because I know that his views are immovable and I know all of them, yet this subject is so interesting to me that when we are together I have to limit my discussions to the weather, sports, and American Idol (don't crash on me for this, I am a singer and I like to critique singers, really!)

If you would like to add your opinions on how religion relates to politics, I wouldn't be upset either! :wink:

My father loves to mix the two. I think that is moronic!

Whatta ya think?
"My goal is to try to get people into a state of generalized agnosticism, not agnosticism about God alone, but agnosticism about everything."Robert Anton Wilson
Poemind
resident
resident

Postby cleve » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:35 am

Poemind,
How many christains do you think would even consider confessing that they have experienced similar energies from their fathers? The emotion that you're referring to sounds like passion--a very strong human emotion. And preachers have lots of passion. It's real--like fire; and it's a deeply driven fire that consumes their thinking and helps to make their personalities the way they are. Passion is like fire--it can be very destructive and constructive. The turning point seems to come when their passion takes control over their personalities.
cleve
Affiliated with no religious group. Most people label me as a dispensationalist (sometimes preceded with ultra-) .
cleve

Affiliation: Individual believer in Christ

Postby Poemind » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Ok? I know that I was kind of drunk when I posted this poll, so I reread my post and I don't even see any mention of 'emotion' in there at all. But I agree that many people have passion about many things, myself included, and on this issue.

How many christains do you think would even consider confessing that they have experienced similar energies from their fathers?

Ummm... Not quite sure, that's kind of why I created the poll, ya know?

I agree with your points on passion, but don't see how they really fit into what I was getting at in the poll.

Anyone else want to add to the discussion?
"My goal is to try to get people into a state of generalized agnosticism, not agnosticism about God alone, but agnosticism about everything."Robert Anton Wilson
Poemind
resident
resident

Postby cleve » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:40 am

Poemind wrote:Ok? I know that I was kind of drunk when I posted this poll, so I reread my post and I don't even see any mention of 'emotion' in there at all. But I agree that many people have passion about many things, myself included, and on this issue.

Cleve wrote:How many christains do you think would even consider confessing that they have experienced similar energies from their fathers?

Poemind wrote:Ummm... Not quite sure, that's kind of why I created the poll, ya know?

Poemind wrote:I reread my post and I don't even see any mention of 'emotion' in there at all.
I agree with your points on passion, but don't see how they really fit into what I was getting at in the poll.

Thanks for your feedback about our perspctives. Do you find it challenging to get the connection between emotion and choice (which includes religious choice)? Or were you trying to help me with my communication so that it has more logic to it? Anyway, thanks for the input.
Perhaps because of the locked-up passion energy from my own childhood, the connection between my father's emotions and my choices were very apparent. Anytime I didn't show enough understanding and concern toward these relationships, the instruction took place in the form of a painful willow stick on my the rear end. This seems to have been a substitute for meaningful conversation with my father. In turn, my father probably didn't have much meaningfull conversation with his father either. Guess you can tell I still feel some passion about this matter.
Do you think both of us are so "pollarized" in our perspectives that it's quite challenging for each of us to view matters from the perspective of the other person? Are you "locked up" in the verbage of your poll to the extent that there's little or no allowance for interpretation and/or discussion of it? After discussing this matter with you in this post, it's making sense to me as to a major contributing factor to the wedge in your relationship with your dad--rigidity seems to have been conveyed in an intense enough fashion from your dad to the point that you mirrored the excessive rigidity back to him, and neither of you were happy with the outcome. Ultimately, as a preacher, your dad has oriented toward the realm of the intangible, but it has caused you to re-direct your orientation in the direction of rigid tangible concepts--thus, computer science.
Affiliated with no religious group. Most people label me as a dispensationalist (sometimes preceded with ultra-) .
cleve

Affiliation: Individual believer in Christ

Postby Poemind » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:53 pm

Cleve, I am sorry if I cam off sounding 'rigid' - I just honestly didn't fully understand your post. I think I am more clear on it now. I'm sorry to hear about the way you were treated by your father. Mine did not result to physical violence. It had more to do with creating a distance between us that is to some degree still there. All of our conversations are about superficial BS.

I'm thinking of actually forcing a conversation in the near future just to ask him what he thinks about the state of my soul. For the record I feel very confident in a pleasant afterlife, whatever that may consist of.

And, no, I don't feel 'trapped' in the verbiage of my poll, but the words were chosen for a reason, as words should be. I'm sorry if I come off as a sarcastic jackass sometimes, but that is probably a part of my personality that is not about to change.

Personally I don't feel that I am rigid in my opinions on religion. My views can change as I find compelling arguments to do so. Anyway I'll end this post before I get the urge to wax sarcastic again.

Once again, I apologize.
Poemind
resident
resident

Re: Your Ideology / Your Family

Postby Nurvingiel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:27 pm

My parents are both very liberal Anglicans, and my brother and I were raised this way. When we were too young to stay home alone, we'd either have to go to church with them or sometimes my Mom would stay home with us. When we were old enough to be home alone we could stay or go at our discrecion. I often chose to go and even taught Sunday school for a year. My brother usually didn't go to church when he was a teenage but this was a non-issue.

My parents have always been very open and accepting about religion. We could leave the church if we wanted to; they would respect our choice and it simply wouldn't be an issue. However, I like being an Anglican and even though I don't go to church anymore I continue to identify as an Anglican.
Yes Virginia, there is such thing as Christian Deism.
Nurvingiel
recruit
recruit

Postby Poemind » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:25 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Nurvingiel. I'm not sure why this thread hasn't garnered more attention, lest it be many people's reluctance to talk about how their familial relationships have shaped their ideology.

I only wish that my childhood had been as open minded as yours apparently was.

But, we work with what we are given.

Peace
Poemind
resident
resident

Postby Nurvingiel » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:38 am

My parents are really awesome. I'm very lucky. :)

But you're right, we do work with what you're given. Your experiences have probably shaped you as a person and contributed to who you are today.
Yes Virginia, there is such thing as Christian Deism.
Nurvingiel
recruit
recruit

Postby brothergroucho » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:15 pm

Well - I can relate Poe. My father was a preacher before he died. My step father IS a preacher. Both grandfatghers were too. Even back to before the Civil War. I was a kid preacher and quit when I was 25. Now... I'm an atheist. Can you say black sheep? LOL!
brothergroucho
new recruit
new recruit

Postby lorryfach » Fri May 30, 2008 5:23 am

I know this is really old, but I find it an interesting topic.

I voted that we don't talk about religion, but that's not entirely true. My parents talk about religion, and I smile and nod. I only say something if I know they will agree with me, which does occasionally happen. My parents actually told me not to inform them of anything I do that they wouldn't agree with, so when it comes to politics and religion, I just don't have much to say. :? I'm not a big fan of their policy, but I go along with it anyway.
Hi. I'm Lorry.
It's is a contraction of it is or it has.
Its is the possessive of it.
Thank you.
lorryfach
recruit
recruit

Affiliation: agnostic atheist

Return to Polls