Same religion or different?

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Are Catholics, Protestants, Evangelicals, Greek Orthodox, Methodists, and Baptists all considered to be the same religion with different views or are they all different religions?

Same
72%
Different
28%

Total votes : 29

Re: Same religion or different?

Postby StillSearching » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:15 am

Look, the god's honest truth is that people can believe in whatever they want and still call themselves Christians, as far as I'm concerned. I was raised in the UCC and now attend an Episcopal church, and both denominations, as NHB mentioned, are VERY liberal about the beliefs of their members. For all intents and purposes, I am currently still a Christian. But I have a hard time convincing myself that this label fits anymore, since I don't believe in Jesus' divinity or resurrection. Can I continue to call myself a Christian? Sure. But I think very close to 100% of Christians would say that I've discarded THE core tenant of that religion and done the one thing that will remove me from God's favor. Does that mean that I'm banished from Christianity? No. Many churches would still accept me (and likely try to get me to change my mind).

Jim, Spong is interesting to me and I plan on doing some reading. Sorry that I got your beliefs jumbled up. And I indeed misstated when I said it's a fact that all people who call themselves Christians share a belief in Jesus as the Christ. It's just my opinion that if you remove the Christ part of your beliefs, you no longer fit the definition of a Christian. And I say that as one who would be excluded from Christianity if the rule were enforced.

NHB is right, we've drifted into what constitutes a Christian, and away from the original question of the poll. I maintain that if a church is a proponent of the divinity of Jesus, they are a Christian church, regardless of the other claptrap with which they surround that belief. When they cease to worship Jesus as the resurrected son of God, they cease to be a Christian church, in my most humble opinion.
"...only an opponent who really understands your view can be a dangerous critic: no one is impressed by criticism that embodies plain misunderstandings of the view criticized."
Richard L. Purtill
StillSearching

Affiliation: Heretic for Jesus

Re: Same religion or different?

Postby whoosanightowl » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:42 am

koin4life wrote:Are Catholics, Protestants, Evangelicals, Greek Orthodox, Methodists, and Baptists all considered to be the same religion with different views or are they all different religions?

Okay, this was the original question. I would have to say that yes, they are all the same religion. But there are some within those denominations listed which would disagree. As I mentioned earlier, most Baptist and many Evangelical churches do not consider the Catholic church to be truly Christian. Probably not the Orthodox church either. In fact they tend to have a very narrow view of who qualifies as a Christian, remember "narrow is the road...". They have no problem excluding most of the Christians in the world and viewing them as heretical for not accepting that their way is the only way.

StillSearching wrote:NHB is right, we've drifted into what constitutes a Christian, and away from the original question of the poll. I maintain that if a church is a proponent of the divinity of Jesus, they are a Christian church, regardless of the other claptrap with which they surround that belief. When they cease to worship Jesus as the resurrected son of God, they cease to be a Christian church, in my most humble opinion.

SS,
The problem is within the interpretation of the bible. Anyone can consider themselves Christian if their own interpretation backs up what they believe. I don't believe in Jesus or the biblical God, but I could still consider myself a Christian if I believe that following Jesus' teachings on love, forgiveness, kindness etc. are all that is really important, according to my interpretation. Of course most Christians would disagree, but that would be based on their interpretation. Now if I decided to start my own church and called it "Followers of Jesus", and it grew and eventually became it's own denomination, we (the members) would consider it Christian, although most mainline denominations would not. Until the Bible becomes clear enough for everyone to agree, any interpretation is as valid as the next. And we all know that will never happen.
Sue
Alice:`There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.'
Queen:`...you haven't had much practice, When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: atheist

Previous

Return to Polls