Songs that get you all up in your feels

Tired of talking about religion? Need a smoke break? Want some potluck? Then head on over to the Fellowship Hall and talk about anything you want.

Songs that get you all up in your feels

Postby ArchLich » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:13 am

I was just playing around on my guitar, and starting singing Hate Me by Blue October. I swear that was always a song I could never get through without crying. When I watch the video for it, I damn near start balling. I guess because it reminds me of a not so happy time in my life when I wasn't the most upstanding of humans. Sometimes you don't realize how much you hurt people who love you until you get sober. Anyway, anyone else have songs like that?

Knowledge is power, and is also limited to empirical perception. Irony.
ArchLich
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: Agnostic, Atheist

Re: Songs that get you all up in your feels

Postby Keep The Reason » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Uh, in my day... "balling" meant fucking.

I think you mean bawling, but... maybe the song gets you balling as well. I got a few of those myself :smt005
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby ArchLich » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:05 am

lol yeah, my bad. I was looking at the way I spelled that and thinking "bawling" myself, but I was too lazy to verify it so I just left it.

By the way, this live performance of it was better than the studio production, and brought me to tears like crazy. I'm now set on covering this song myself.

ArchLich
veteran
veteran

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:40 am

Hi ArchLich, I remember when Hate Me came out when I was in college, I listened to it quite a bit then. It's funny how songs touch people differently, and it's also funny how they touch people differently as time goes on. I very recently went through an emotional roller coaster with my brother, he's had a lot of health issues and there were some nights these past few months where he just came and said I need help Aaron, and I would try to give him encouragement and help him to keep going on with his life and not give up and I would steel it away and just try to stay level and strong and I did. Well he got married a few weeks ago and moved out of my place and it was like a feeling of him finally making it, like that we pushed through and he didn't give up and after the wedding I didn't know what to think emotionally inside, I was extremely happy for him and I was very happy he made it through his health issues and didn't give up and then I was also really sad because in a way I had just sent off my best friend and we wouldn't be able to hang out like we used to and there were also all these emotions connected to those long nights of just trying to help him stay positive and keep going. Anyway this song fell in my lap (I believe Providentially, the funny thing is they aren't even Christian I don't think, it just goes to show me that God can use anything) basically the night of the wedding when I was driving home and I just cried it all out for the next two days. I don't really understand it, but I knew that the Holy Spirit understood and that that was what I was supposed to do, it was actually amazing how much it helped. After the second day it was like I was done and I moved on. There really is a time for everything I suppose. But it was a really interesting experience for me because I personally avoid songs that put me into a funk, I don't want to be there, it's a seductive thing (not in a sexual way) and I don't think it's generally a life giving place to be, except apparently there are times when it is good. Anyway, here's the song, they are up and coming I think, enjoy!

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Postby ArchLich » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:11 pm

That's a touching story indeed. I'm not into that genre so I didn't listen to the whole thing, but yes, songs have an ability to emotionally connect to humans in a unique way due to our psychological attachment to sound waves. Also, songs don't need to be written by a Christian to be relevant to a Christian's life. I really can't stand Christians who think that way. It's erroneously judgmental. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
ArchLich
veteran
veteran

Postby Aaron » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:07 pm

ArchLich wrote:Also, songs don't need to be written by a Christian to be relevant to a Christian's life. I really can't stand Christians who think that way. It's erroneously judgmental. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Well I don't think they need to be either, but so what if that's how it is for someone else, who are we to tell someone what is or isn't relevant to them? And you're welcome. :wink:
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Return to The Fellowship Hall