Why don't you believe in God?

Where atheists can talk among themselves, and about those pesky Christians.

Re: Why don't you believe in God?

Postby Atheist37 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:28 pm

StillSearching wrote:As you can tell from my moniker, I am still searching for spiritual peace. This world is a very confusing, frustrating and depressing place sometimes. I'd like to discover enough answers to at least put my mind at ease. But I have come to accept the fact that I'm not going to get those answers from Christianity. In fact, I have come to realize that religion, rather than providing answers, mostly serves to make the world more confusing, frustrating and depressing.

Thanks for sharing your story. Do you think that your church is open to having members who are searching or questioning the faith, while still making positive contributions and staying involved in things like youth programs? In my own case, my boys and I were involved in Boy Scouts. We were well accepted, by and large, despite our lack of religious beliefs. I really appreciated hearing from the local leaders that they simply were not going to enforce the religious belief requirement. It made our participation a beneficial and fun experience.
Atheist37

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby StillSearching » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:49 am

Atheist37 wrote:Thanks for sharing your story. Do you think that your church is open to having members who are searching or questioning the faith, while still making positive contributions and staying involved in things like youth programs? In my own case, my boys and I were involved in Boy Scouts. We were well accepted, by and large, despite our lack of religious beliefs. I really appreciated hearing from the local leaders that they simply were not going to enforce the religious belief requirement. It made our participation a beneficial and fun experience.

Thankfully, my church is open to doubt and questioning among its members. Or I should say, our youth and education director is, at least. I work with her and her husband directly in teaching our senior high youth class on Sundays. I have not disguised my skepticism in class, and they are keen to the idea of exploring the difficulties of the faith, and the moral inconsistencies among various religions. My wife teaches the junior high class and they recently began a discussion of evolution. Last year they discussed the concept of God. I know most of the parents of these kids and they are open-minded people, most of whom go to church because it fulfills their need for fellowship, worship and outreach. The focus is much more on knowledge and deeds, less on evangelism. I am blessed to have found this church, and I mean blessed in a strictly secular way.

I'm glad to hear that you were welcomed by the Boy Scouts, as they are closely intertwined with Christianity. It's good that they are open to other points of view and understanding that we are all capable of making a valuable contribution regardless of our beliefs.
"The word 'Christianity' is already a misunderstanding - in reality there has been only one Christian, and he died on the Cross."
Friedrich Nietzsche
StillSearching

Affiliation: Heretic for Jesus

Postby Jimbo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Great topic. I look forward to reading more posts in this thread. In the I have used many theories to support my disbelief in God. I believe i am all done debating theory. However I love Emery's podcasts. My simple answer to explain my disbelief in God is that I don't feel that God exists. Ive studied scripture. I have discussed faith endlessly with faithful friends. I searched myself for years and years. Ive asked God to come in to my life and I have never felt like there is a shred of a possibility that God exists.
Jimbo
new recruit
new recruit

Affiliation: Feeling Atheist

Postby whoosanightowl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:39 pm

Jimbo said:
Ive studied scripture. I have discussed faith endlessly with faithful friends. I searched myself for years and years. Ive asked God to come in to my life and I have never felt like there is a shred of a possibility that God exists.

Ditto, Jimbo. And welcome to the forum!
Sue
Alice:`There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.'
Queen:`...you haven't had much practice, When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
whoosanightowl

Affiliation: X-xian, agnostic/deist

Postby Azor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:41 am

I used to be a Christian - but lost my faith so to speak. There are many many reasons, but here is the top reason which will cover all religions that have an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, all-loving God. It's because I couldn't reconcile the following:
1) God is all powerful.
2) God is all loving.
3) There is immense suffering in the world.

I couldn't believe that the best system such a powerful designer could create was a system which included cancer, daily murder and rape of children around the globe, Nazi Germany, tsunamis that kill literally hundreds of thousands of people in a single event, cats play with mice, etc.

I understand the apologetic responses to my reason, but they just didn't provide sufficient answers for me.
I recommend the book "God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer" by Bart Ehrman:
http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Problem-Answ ... B001FOR5CG
Azor
recruit
recruit

Previous

Return to Atheists