Looking for a new church

Where Christians can talk among themselves, and about those Godless atheists.

Looking for a new church

Postby mitchellmckain » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:37 am

My church is closing down in a month and so I will be looking for a new one. It will be difficult because the one I am in has given me rather high expectations. I don't know if I can so easily accept a poorer fit. I will be visiting a prospective replacement this week. I decided to share some of my thoughts to see what people would say.

I thought briefly about visting an Eastern Orthodox church. But although I like some of their theology. This church is so terribly conservative, in the sense of being unchanging since the earliest centuries of Christianity, that it really turns me off. Yes if there is a church that is like the earliest christian churches then the eastern orthodox would have my vote, but I absolutely do NOT equate that with being the best christian church, not at all. I frankly like the Roman Catholic church better precisely because they are less conservative, if you believe it. But then my biggest problem with both is that I am just to much of a 5 solas Protestant and definitely prefer more modern forms of worship.

I had been thinking of myself as a liberal evangelical but looking that term up on the internet was disappointing. It looked good for a few seconds because they even spoke of being radical moderates which is another name which I have called my self by. But reading further I realized that I am NOT THAT liberal!!! YIKES! Besides they are in another state and I don't know if there are any here in Utah.

There is a Potter's house close by that I can give a try.

A bit farther away, there is another church called Adventure that someone at my church recommended and that looks pretty promising.

I can also try another Vineyard. There is another one in the city. I probably will visit them and check them out.
Last edited by mitchellmckain on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Re: Looking for a new church

Postby mitchellmckain » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:57 pm

I didn't much like the Adventure church, though it may have been an off day.

I will give the other Vineyard church a try next, which means on the first Sunday of September when my church is closed for good.
mitchellmckain

Postby ScottBarger » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:22 am

Looking for anew church is a tough thing. I am glad I haven't had to do it for a while. I have some friends who just moved to Colorado Springs and they have been having a hard time finding a church that fits, even though they have SO MANY to choose from. I'll give you the same encouragement I gave them: find a place where you can get along with people and that needs what you have to offer. It doesn't have to be a perfect fit, but you don't want it to be a total mismatch either. Good luck in your search!
ScottBarger

Postby Rian » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:32 am

Good luck, Mitch! That's a hard thing to do. We had to leave a great church when we left California. However, God knows that it's easy for us to get too comfortable :o - he sure likes to mix things up, doesn't he?!

Anyway, you have my prayers :)
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Postby StillSearching » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:42 am

Not sure if it fits you, nor if it's close to you, but there is a UCC congregation in Holladay that you might try. (WEBSITE) Good luck!

EDIT: Actually, there are several in that area.
"...only an opponent who really understands your view can be a dangerous critic: no one is impressed by criticism that embodies plain misunderstandings of the view criticized."
Richard L. Purtill
StillSearching

Affiliation: Heretic for Jesus

Postby StillSearching » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:38 pm

Any developments Mitch?
"...only an opponent who really understands your view can be a dangerous critic: no one is impressed by criticism that embodies plain misunderstandings of the view criticized."
Richard L. Purtill
StillSearching

Affiliation: Heretic for Jesus

Postby mitchellmckain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:36 am

I tried a few churches but they just aren't inspiring me to go.

Emerging Vineyard was different. Since the first day I visited, I was there every week for years until they closed. It was like I couldn't not go. I believed in what they were doing. I wanted to be there and help.

I just am not inspired by these other churches.

There is a Tuesday home group put together by members from Emerging Vineyard that I go to sometimes.

The Potter's House is closest and smallest and I have thought about going there with the thought of trying to give something even if I don't get much out of it.
Last edited by mitchellmckain on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby JustJim » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:43 am

Mitch,

I had a similar experience many years ago (when I was a staunch believer), except I was forced to move myself and my family over 5,000 miles away from the church and congregation I really loved and which fit me so perfectly. At the time, I thought it'd be easy to find a new church that would be a good fit at our new location. But after trying several different churches for over a year, nothing even came remotely close to what I'd left behind. I remember how "down" I felt back then. I "feel" for ya....

Jim
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, refuses to go away...."
JustJim

Affiliation: Agnostic Atheist

Postby mitchellmckain » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 am

I went to a Missio Dei meeting up on the university campus this last Sunday with a couple of families from Emerging Vineyard who have been attending there for a few weeks (the same people at the home group I have been meeting with on occasional Tuesdays). It has the energy that the other churches were lacking and I plan on going back next Sunday. I think my eldest boy might even like it so he might come with me also.
mitchellmckain

Postby mitchellmckain » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:11 pm

I have been to Missio Dei twice and plan on going there tomorrow as well, so at least until I find something better, that is where I will go. At least I can say that this church is motivating me to go each week.
mitchellmckain

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:07 pm

I think that's great news.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Postby mitchellmckain » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:03 am

Aaron wrote:I think that's great news.

Well unfortunately its not working out so well. Its looking a bit repetitive as Sunday after Sunday they have these extra-ordinarily long sermons that just repeat the same points over and over again. I am getting tired of it already and I don't plan on going this Sunday which would be the fourth time going if I did go.
mitchellmckain

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:43 am

Okay I can appreciate that. I have a friend who goes to an extra charismatic church and they just never quit! They keep singing and singing and singing and preaching and preaching and its not for me at all.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Postby mikedsjr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 am

So Emerging Vineyard is what you went to. Ok, that certainly explains to me why we are so light years apart theologically and why you don't like tags associated on you.

Mitch, I can feel for you on one sense. If you have strong beliefs it might be completely impossible to find another church. I've heard of people who had to go 60 miles+ just to go to a church that was consistent to their beliefs, but that forced them not to go every week due to the drive. I'm curious what you are doing for church since last Dec?
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens
Eccl 3:1
mikedsjr

Postby mitchellmckain » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:48 pm

mikedsjr wrote:So Emerging Vineyard is what you went to. Ok, that certainly explains to me why we are so light years apart theologically and why you don't like tags associated on you.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions from the name. It was a vineyard church and had absolutely nothing to do with the so call "emerging church" or post-modernist philosophy. We did like some of the work of Rob Bell but did not like his last book, "Love Wins", which put forward some pretty flawed arguments.

mikedsjr wrote:Mitch, I can feel for you on one sense. If you have strong beliefs it might be completely impossible to find another church. I've heard of people who had to go 60 miles+ just to go to a church that was consistent to their beliefs, but that forced them not to go every week due to the drive. I'm curious what you are doing for church since last Dec?

Emerging Vineyard was an exception in my life where I attended every single Sunday. So since it closed down I am back to sporadic attendance at various churches and my most regular participation is with a home group composed of people who went to Emerging Vineyard.
mitchellmckain

Next

Return to Christians