Christian Music

Where Christians can talk among themselves, and about those Godless atheists.

Christian Music

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:13 pm

I didn't really know where to stick this, but I figured I'd try here. I love music. I'm always looking for new music, I love music when it's passionate, real and substantial and pair that with a smooth beat, or catchy melody and I'm done. I feel like I can find Christian music that's passionate or real easily enough, especially lyrics which I can relate to or identify with, but it's another thing to find that in combination with quality music, not impossible, but harder. Anyway I wanted to start this thread to hopefully learn about new artists, preferably with Christian influences because I love being edified in that way, but it doesn't have to be, genre isn't really important, I like a lot of stuff and I'll give a listen to anything.

Here's some Christian artists I like: Flyleaf, Lecrea, P.O.D., TFK, Kingdom, Matt Redman, Switchfoot, JJ Heller, Brandon Heath, Disciple, Fireflight, Flame, Sixpence None The Richer, United, Caedmon's Call, NF (just found out about this guy this morning, he's legit in a lot of ways, I'm real happy I found him, very talented I think).

So anyway, if you feel like it please share artists you listen to, I'd love to find new stuff. Thanks.

Aaron
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Re: Christian Music

Postby Chapabel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:10 pm

I'm an old fashion fella. I love Southern Gospel. My favorite group is the Hoppers. I've seen them in concert 3 times. Their song "Jerusalem" will always be one of my favorites. I also like Brian Free and Assurance. I've seen them several times as well. My favorite male singer is Mark Bishop.

I have to give a shout out to contemporary group Casting Crowns and Big Daddy Weave. His song "Redeemed" is awesome. Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGAYNKDyIU
To be right with God has often meant to be in trouble with men. -- A.W. Tozer
Chapabel

Affiliation: Baptist

Postby Rian » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:29 pm

My kids and I are all big Switchfoot fans. It's nice that Christian music doesn't have to be divided by age.

When my daughter and I drive to California, we play a game - I put on a SF song and see how many seconds it takes for her to identify it. For some of them, it's literally about 2 seconds! But she's kind of a musical memory person, too.

I find that some artists are for different periods of your life, depending on what you're going thru. I listened to Chris Rice about 10 years ago almost exclusively. I really love "Come to Jesus". So simple, yet so beautiful.

I've heard of Casting Crowns but just haven't remembered to check them out when I have time. BDG's name puts me off, though - I keep picturing some big guy with a bad weave!
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Postby mitchellmckain » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:43 pm

I am not a Christian music fan. I am totally into singing their stuff myself in worship, though.

My music collection, however, contains very different things. Classical symphony (Bethoven, Ravel, Mendelson, Mozart, Stravinsky,...), New Age (Vollenweider, Enya,...), Rock (Pink Floyd, Phil Collins, Billy Joel, Yes, Queen,...). No Christian music.

I totally get the motivation for the songs and sing them in worship. But I am not into the whole holier-than-thou self-righteous gig of "I am not of the world, because I listen to Christian music." It is so commercially superficial it makes me want to puke. Some so called "christians" definitely make me puke.
Last edited by mitchellmckain on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Postby Chapabel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:05 am

mitchellmckain wrote:I am not a Christian music fan. I am totally into singing their stuff myself in worship, though.

My music collection, however, contains very different things. Classical symphony (Bethoven, Ravel, Mendelson, Mozart, Stravinsky,...), New Age (Vollenweider, Enya,...), Rock (Pink Floyd, Phil Collins, Billy Joel, Yes, Queen,...). No Christian music.

Well, this is not surprising. Most nonChristians don't care for Christian music.
Chapabel

Postby Chapabel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:07 am

Rian wrote: BDG's name puts me off, though - I keep picturing some big guy with a bad weave!

He is a big guy, but he's bald :lol:
Chapabel

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:16 am

I think the golden age of Christian Rock was in the sixties and seventies and after that it very much became a commercial genre where people were playing it safe so as not to ofend their audience. There is some good music from later, YFriday were a UK band I liked but it lacks the charm of those earlier bands who weredoing something new. Larry Norman is the giant of Christian music and Only Visiting this Planet is the best Jesus Rock album ever
So here we go
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Moonwood the Hare wrote:I think the golden age of Christian Rock was in the sixties and seventies and after that it very much became a commercial genre where people were playing it safe so as not to ofend their audience. There is some good music from later, YFriday were a UK band I liked but it lacks the charm of those earlier bands who weredoing something new. Larry Norman is the giant of Christian music and Only Visiting this Planet is the best Jesus Rock album ever
So here we go

I like it. I don't know much at all about Christian Rock in the sixties and seventies. I'll have to check it out. Thanks Moonwood. That's probably one of my biggest critiques of Christian music is that it's not new, it's taking from the current culture and riding their wave, but most times not nearly as well, so not only are Christian artists not original they're not very good at being unoriginal either. It bothers me. But there's good stuff out there too I think.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:23 pm

Rian wrote:My kids and I are all big Switchfoot fans. It's nice that Christian music doesn't have to be divided by age.

When my daughter and I drive to California, we play a game - I put on a SF song and see how many seconds it takes for her to identify it. For some of them, it's literally about 2 seconds! But she's kind of a musical memory person, too.

I find that some artists are for different periods of your life, depending on what you're going thru. I listened to Chris Rice about 10 years ago almost exclusively. I really love "Come to Jesus". So simple, yet so beautiful.

I've heard of Casting Crowns but just haven't remembered to check them out when I have time. BDG's name puts me off, though - I keep picturing some big guy with a bad weave!

I like Switchfoot too. I've actually been listening to "The Beautiful Letdown" recently and of course I like "Meant To Live", it's catchy I think.

But I totally agree with you about music being for different parts of your life, depending on what you're going through. Very true in my life. I've never heard of Chris Rice, will have to check him out. Casting Crowns has some good songs and I don't really listen to Big Daddy Weave, but they've got some good songs, but I wouldn't be concerned about the name. :-)
Aaron

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:38 pm

mitchellmckain wrote:I am not a Christian music fan. I am totally into singing their stuff myself in worship, though.

I totally get the motivation for the songs and sing them in worship. But I am not into the whole holier-than-thou self-righteous gig of "I am not of the world, because I listen to Christian music." It is so commercially superficial it makes me want to puke. Some so called "christians" definitely make me puke.

Queen? Huh, I wouldn't have pictured it. :-) Sounds like we'd actually get along fairly well as far as music goes though. But wasn't a lot of the classical stuff written as worship? So maybe technically you do have some Christian music?

But I don't listen to Christian music to make myself feel holier than other people, I listen to it because I relate to it, it edifies me and I'm also a believer that what you watch and listen to will have an effect on you to whatever degree, so I want to watch and listen to things that are in alignment with the man I wish to be.
Aaron

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Rian wrote:I listened to Chris Rice about 10 years ago almost exclusively. I really love "Come to Jesus". So simple, yet so beautiful.

Oh! I know this song. It is good. Just found it on Youtube :)
Aaron

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:41 pm

I've been on a rap hip-hop kick lately, I am predicting I'm quite alone here, but anybody like something like this?

Aaron

Postby One16Unashamed » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Aaron you are not alone in the hip-hope genre. I've been listening to Lecrae since his second album After the music stops. Some great artist on that 116 Reach Records. One of their influences are two guys named Corey Redd and Precise, look up Six Million Ways To Die, real good stuff.

Also check out Need To Breath, they are from a town close to me. But they continue to put great albums every time the release one.
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran

Postby Chapabel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Aaron wrote:I've been on a rap hip-hop kick lately, I am predicting I'm quite alone here, but anybody like something like this?

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry Aaron, but I guess I'm a dinosaur. I could not even make it to the one minute mark. I think my ears started bleeding. If you like that kind of music, God bless you.
Chapabel

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:42 pm

Aaron wrote:
Moonwood the Hare wrote:

I like it. I don't know much at all about Christian Rock in the sixties and seventies. I'll have to check it out. Thanks Moonwood. That's probably one of my biggest critiques of Christian music is that it's not new, it's taking from the current culture and riding their wave, but most times not nearly as well, so not only are Christian artists not original they're not very good at being unoriginal either. It bothers me. But there's good stuff out there too I think.

Produced by George Martin, the Beatles producer. Larry died a couple of years ago. He wasn't the first to do Christian Rock; there were lots of bands in the sixties, but he was one of the most charismatic. In fact here he is live. Catch a Christian band nowadays singing about Gonorrhea on Valentine's day!

There's a website called Ancient Star Song which is all about this old stuff http://www.theancientstar-song.com/category/album-title/what-kind-of-king/ used to be one called Heavenly Grooves where you could download stuff. You can download some old albums from here so try this http://christwings.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/mighty-flyers-low-flying-angels-1974.html It'sby a band from the UK called The Mighty Flyers who for some reason are doing what seems to be Southern Rock. Stand out track is 'We will not find you there'.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Next

Return to Christians