Why is there only one way to God?

Where Christians can talk among themselves, and about those Godless atheists.

Why is there only one way to God?

Postby Stacie Cook » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:10 pm

The better question is.... Why is there EVEN one way?
Quoted from R.C. Sproul.

Any thoughts?
If you want to meet God... then the cross is the place to which you go. - Alistair Begg
Stacie Cook

Affiliation: Hypocritical Christian

Re: Why is there only one way to God?

Postby Og3 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:07 pm

An interesting point.

If we think of sin as a disease that kills the soul, then the fact that there is one cure -- the blood of Christ -- is quite sufficient. If you want to be healed of this disease, you must take this cure; none other will help you.

But too many people deny that they are sick, or admit that they are sick but deny that there is a cure.
Og3

Affiliation: Baptist (SBC)

Postby mitchellmckain » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:59 pm

There isn't.
There is not one way there is no way at all.
"Who then can be saved?" they asked.
"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible," Jesus replied.
A "way" implies that we can do it -- we just have to follow some set of instructions.
But that contradicts everything the gospel of Jesus Christ is saying.

There is no way.
There is only God.
Don't fall for the deception of religion and put your faith in some way.
You need to put your faith in HIM.
Is this a contradiction? Doesn't this make faith a "way"? It certainly can if you misunderstand. People can and do change faith into a way and then the gospel of Grace becomes a gospel of salvation by works. Does it matter if it is works of the body or works of the mind? Whether it is instruction on how to live your life or about the right things to believe, it is still works -- i.e accomplishments. Then might include the doctrine of OSAS for insurance to feel secure, sitting pretty in the grace of God, when the truth is they have bought into a lie and exchanged a faith in God for faith in a "way".

But you want to ask, isn't OSAS correct. Surely when God takes your salvation in hand then this cannot be taken away... There are several mistakes here.
1. The question itself is wrong. It is a faithless question. It is a question you only ask in order to avoid faith. I mean, get real! In what world does faith go looking for guarantees? That is just crazy. To have faith you need to stop demanding guarantees!
2. Salvation isn't something that belongs to you. It never was and it never will be. It was always in God and it always will be.

The problem with assurance is that you are a part of the equation. We can be absolutely assured of God: His love is assured, His ability is assured, His righteousness is assured, His forgiveness is assured. But there is nothing of us which is assured, for our sin which includes self-deception is a poison which allows no assurance whatsoever.
Last edited by mitchellmckain on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Stacie Cook » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:53 pm

All interesting thoughts. I had just heard that phrase today and was thinking about it.....

This is exactly what I needed to hear today MM. Thank you.
mitchellmckain wrote:The problem with assurance is that you are a part of the equation. We can be absolutely assured of God: His love is assured, His ability is assured, His righteousness is assured, His forgiveness is assured. But there is nothing of us which is assured, for our sin which includes self-deception is a poison which allows no assurance whatsoever.
If you want to meet God... then the cross is the place to which you go. - Alistair Begg
Stacie Cook

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:49 am

Stacie Cook wrote:The better question is.... Why is there EVEN one way?
Quoted from R.C. Sproul.

Any thoughts?

I've got a couple of books by Sproul. I get the impression that he is quite a damaged person. He describes his College tutors bullying him into a Calvinist position and never seems to think there is anything wrong with these bully boy tactics.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Postby Stacie Cook » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:53 am

He is still alive? I have heard the name before but I don't really know much about him.
Stacie Cook

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Stacie Cook wrote:He is still alive? I have heard the name before but I don't really know much about him.

Still alive as far as I know. His book on Holiness is good and if you want a simple defence of the Calvinist position on election his book on that is good. He did some good stuff on eschatology but maybe got too enamoured with a full preterist position.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Return to Christians