SERIOUS getting rid of mental health records to follow jc

Where Christians can talk among themselves, and about those Godless atheists.

SERIOUS getting rid of mental health records to follow jc

Postby strawberrypoptart48 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:01 pm

ok so i really need help so for many years i was an atheist and lately i have come to believe that jesus really is real but it has been kind of difficult for people to accept my new change and one thing in my past really messes everything up!!! ok so i recently went to a convent its a cloistered convent and so i was accepted although i was never asked about my mental health so i didnt feel the need to disclose this information although i did give up willingly asthma information diabetes blood pressure and other illnesses which they asked well anyway i had no clue that they were going to ask for the suicide attempts in the past and medicines i had taken which i have only taken two one for anxiety and one for psychosis not schizophrenia though but anyway how can i keep this information secret without lying but most of all without offending god hence not having to go to hell and more to be honest i have everything else and would really appreciate a life of silent contemplation which i cant get in this world i could easily prove that i no longer have mental illness since i was cured of it 2 years ago thanks to jc but do you think they will accept it?? and please no negativity since we are all working for the same GOD thank you blessing in jc
strawberrypoptart48
new recruit
new recruit

Re: SERIOUS getting rid of mental health records to follow j

Postby Stacie Cook » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Welcome.
I don't know much about convents. Why can't you reveal certain information? Do they not accept you if have attempted suicide?
First, try to take a deep breath.
Second, pray to God. Tell him exactly what you are saying here.
Third, you will likely not go to hell for lying. We are called to be honest, yes, but it is not a deal-breaker, necessarily.
Fourth, I will pray for you.

Our past is part of us. There are things we'd rather not remember or think about at all, but they have helped to shape us into who we are now. At our best, we can use those experiences to better ourselves. All we can do is ask God to use us for His glory in whatever fashion He sees fit- which is ALWAYS in our best interest. May not be necessarily what we want or what we prayed for, but ALWAYS in our best interest. God blesses us abundantly when we seek and carry out His will.
He has a plan and is perhaps using you to carry it out.
If you want to meet God... then the cross is the place to which you go. - Alistair Begg
Stacie Cook

Affiliation: Hypocritical Christian

Postby Clare » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:47 pm

strawberrypoptart48 wrote:ok so i really need help so for many years i was an atheist and lately i have come to believe that jesus really is real but it has been kind of difficult for people to accept my new change and one thing in my past really messes everything up!!! ok so i recently went to a convent its a cloistered convent and so i was accepted although i was never asked about my mental health so i didnt feel the need to disclose this information although i did give up willingly asthma information diabetes blood pressure and other illnesses which they asked well anyway i had no clue that they were going to ask for the suicide attempts in the past and medicines i had taken which i have only taken two one for anxiety and one for psychosis not schizophrenia though but anyway how can i keep this information secret without lying but most of all without offending god hence not having to go to hell and more to be honest i have everything else and would really appreciate a life of silent contemplation which i cant get in this world i could easily prove that i no longer have mental illness since i was cured of it 2 years ago thanks to jc but do you think they will accept it?? and please no negativity since we are all working for the same GOD thank you blessing in jc

Welcome, SP48!

As hard as it may be for some people to understand or accept that you follow Jesus, just keep them in your prayers and love them, look to the Lord and He will help you through your relationships with people.

We all have a past and my opinion is to be completely honest about your medical history. If you choose to refrain from disclosing certain medical information you wouldn't go to hell over that but it is best to be forthright no matter what. Trust and pray. You're in my prayers.
Last edited by Clare on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clare

Affiliation: Catholic

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Community life can be intense and challenging and if you do have underlying mental health issues it may draw them out. This will then impact on the rest of the community. That life is not for everyone and it should be seen as a challenge rather than an escape - or rather it is both. Therefore I think it is important you are honest.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Postby kjw47 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:13 pm

strawberrypoptart48 wrote:ok so i really need help so for many years i was an atheist and lately i have come to believe that jesus really is real but it has been kind of difficult for people to accept my new change and one thing in my past really messes everything up!!! ok so i recently went to a convent its a cloistered convent and so i was accepted although i was never asked about my mental health so i didnt feel the need to disclose this information although i did give up willingly asthma information diabetes blood pressure and other illnesses which they asked well anyway i had no clue that they were going to ask for the suicide attempts in the past and medicines i had taken which i have only taken two one for anxiety and one for psychosis not schizophrenia though but anyway how can i keep this information secret without lying but most of all without offending god hence not having to go to hell and more to be honest i have everything else and would really appreciate a life of silent contemplation which i cant get in this world i could easily prove that i no longer have mental illness since i was cured of it 2 years ago thanks to jc but do you think they will accept it?? and please no negativity since we are all working for the same GOD thank you blessing in jc

The majority has a past--some even in the present. There is no place of eternal suffering( hell) only those who do not know God teach him as such a sadist to put little nothing mortals into eternal suffering for 70-90 years of unrepented sin. Deut 32:4 assures us--all of Gods ways are justice. there is 0 justice involved in eternal suffering for 70-90 years of sinning. It was symbolism for the value of what one lost out on by missing entering Gods kingdom.
As each new day dawns in Gods kingdom, those miss each day eternally( value of what was lost)
The past is dead, today is the first day of the rest of everyones existence. One can only go forward--here is praying for your success.
Learn and apply Jesus' truths--they are not taught in buildings called--church--very little there.
-- When the silence has broken--
kjw47
resident
resident

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Keep The Reason » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:05 pm

sp48:

If what you say about your past mental illness is true, please seek professional help from a qualified mental health practitioner just to make sure, especially since you also are claiming to have a fear of being condemned to hell for lying. Also please remember it's not really a good idea to seek this kind of advice from strangers on an internet forum; you should seek out assistance from qualified professionals on making such a life-altering decision. None of us here are qualified to assist you in this except to tell you to seek professional assistance just to be sure.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby Clare » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:17 pm

I had to re-post this reply, but I added a few things, because someone removed it so I wanted to let you know in case you already read it.

Pardon KTR, he's an angry atheist who views religion and religious people as dangerous. His hate for it has caused him to not think straight on certain things which explains why he hastily suggested you seek medical assistance and then created a thread to insult as well as chastise us Christians who responded to your OP for not doing so. At one point in his thread he said:

Keep The Reason wrote:I'm totally furious that none of the theists bothered to even suggest it. It's what we atheists here complain about in our larger culture all the time. Religion blinds people to common sense issues far, far too often. And that blinding costs people their lives. We see it on an issue like this, where it's an individual being told really narrow advice with a total ignoring of any other kind of advice (imagine what a Scientologist would say about my recommendation to seek therapy!) and we see it all the way up to the halls of power where religion drives people to incredibly bad behavior resulting in the deaths of sometimes hundreds of thousands.

See? Now, there are some religious people who advise others against using medical treatment when needed. But, that is not what you see any Christians who have responded here do. Nor does KTR or anyone else know that we never would have suggested it if it came to pass you indicated or said that medical assistance was needed. This may or may not be news to him, but not every person with a history of psychosis and/or who has attempted suicide in the past needs mental health assistance regularly to manage or prevent re-occurrence of the psychosis and/or suicidal tendencies. His advice isn't unwise, but based on what little to no knowledge we have of your past and especially present medical situation at this time, it wasn't necessary to give either. Therefore, his reaction to our responses was over the top.

I'm a person who has suggested and helped people achieve medical treatment when they were in need because it is important and I'll continue to do so when called for.

Keep The Reason wrote:Anyone who says they have tried suicide in the past and expresses concerns about fears of things like hell and does something as radical as joining a convent should be advised to think about a professional opinion, not the opinions of a bunch of assholes on a forum.

Well, on this forum KTR's admitted he's an asshole more than once. I guess he's saying you're safe to ignore his advice then.
Clare

Postby Og3 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:31 am

There has been some criticism of the Christians here for not suggesting professional help for the OP in this thread. If I may point out a couple of things:

First, the OP does not state that she currently has mental health issues. She states explicitly that she was cured of psychosis. Since none of us here are doctors to my knowledge, we may or may not find this credible, but it is not our place to state otherwise. If you stated that you had been cured of Hansen's disease, you'd almost certainly be offended if someone told you to get yourself to Molokai, you filthy leper! So the lack of referrals to medical professionals is not necessarily a bad thing.

Secondly, the given question is what a person should do about a past involving prejudicial information, such as mental health issues, when joining a religious order. The question is not, "What should I tell them about the voices that tell me to start fires" but rather "What must I tell the head of the order regarding my personal medical history?"

Thus it is entirely appropriate to answer the question, "Go and speak to the head of the religious order, and be frank with her. Trust God to speak to her as well, and accept her conclusion regarding what you should disclose to her."

One should also note that clergy, including heads of religious orders, are generally given training in counseling, and should at least know when to refer someone to a more specialized mental health professional.
Og3

Affiliation: Baptist (SBC)

Postby Clare » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:34 am

Precisely, Og3.
Clare

Return to Christians