Children Bible recommendations?

Where Christians can talk among themselves, and about those Godless atheists.

Children Bible recommendations?

Postby Stacie Cook » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Hoping to find some children bibles that don't have pictures of Jesus in them. Hoping to find one in ESV version if possible. What children bibles do you all recommend?
If you want to meet God... then the cross is the place to which you go. - Alistair Begg
Stacie Cook

Affiliation: Hypocritical Christian

Re: Children Bible recommendations?

Postby Chapabel » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:08 am

Stacie, I would recommend either the Scofield Reference Bible or the Thompson Chain Reference Bible, both in KJV. Now, I know neither are considered "children's" Bibles, but I believe in giving kids the best start possible even from a very young age. The reason I suggest the KJV over the ESV can be seen when you compare the following verses in both Bibles: Matthew 17.21, 18.11, 23.14; Mark 7.16, 9.44, 9.46, 11.26, 15.28; Luke 17.36, 23.17; John 5.4; Acts 8.37, 15.34, 28.29; Romans 16.24; 1 John 5.7. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
To be right with God has often meant to be in trouble with men. -- A.W. Tozer
Chapabel

Affiliation: Baptist

Postby Rian » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:29 pm

why don't you want "pictures" of Jesus, Stacie?
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Postby Stacie Cook » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:19 am

I think it is oene of those areas of conviction. My husband would prefer to give our children bibles that don't have 'images' of Jesus. It doesn't bother me so much, but I defer to his conviction. I think he ended up finding something, but I am not sure. We use ESV versions, so we were hoping to find esv. I think he found a different version and we are all going to use that version....
If you want to meet God... then the cross is the place to which you go. - Alistair Begg
Stacie Cook

Postby Clare » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:02 pm

Why is images of Jesus a problem for your husband?
Clare

Affiliation: Catholic

Postby Stacie Cook » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:25 pm

We are called to refrain from images or likeness of anything that is in heaven above. Our kids are 5 1/2yrs old. I think he just wants to err on the side of caution in this area since our kids are still young. The kids have seen 'pictures' of Jesus and they know the pictures are not real.
Stacie Cook

Postby Og3 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:20 pm

The NIV is a good translation, and fairly easy to read, with good scholarship behind the translation.

"The Message" is very easy to read, but you need the caveat that it is a paraphrase, that is, someone went through the Bible and sketched out how he thought it should read in Modern English. You may lose a lot of secondary meanings and cross-references in the Message.

NASB is a good literal word-for-word translation, while NIV is more of an idea-for-idea or idiom-for-idiom translation.

NLT is a compromise between a literal such as NIV/NASB and a full-on paraphrase like the Message. Still easy to read, but less paraphrase and more scholarship behind it.

If I were recommending a study Bible for adults, I'd concur with Chapabel and say that a good KJV with Thompson Chain Reference is a powerful tool, especially if one should find oneself witnessing to Mormons (who will read no translation other than KJV; not even the JSIV).

A study bible for older children/teens/early college -- I might go with NASB or NIV.
Og3

Affiliation: Baptist (SBC)

Return to Christians