The Body of Christ

Where Christians can talk among themselves, and about those Godless atheists.

The Body of Christ

Postby mitchellmckain » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:55 pm

1 Corinthians 12 wrote:12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the organs in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single organ, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, yet one body. 21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 On the contrary, the parts of the body which seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and those parts of the body which we think less honorable we invest with the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24 which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving the greater honor to the inferior part, 25 that there may be no discord in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts.

And I will show you a still more excellent way.

I find it astounding how the more ignorant Christians will attack other Christians with the slightest differences from themselves. They will boast of scientists who have become Christians and turn around the next second and deny that they are Christian because they don't say things quite the same way as they do. They cultivate the image of Christians as mindless robots and carbon copy ideologues when they show no tolerance for variation of any kind.

Does anyone see an image of the body of Christ shooting itself in the foot... or perhaps even in more essential parts of the body because they put on airs and make so much of themselves? Are those parts of the body buried in the gut blind to the world because they will not regard the parts of the body which can see?
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Re: The Body of Christ

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Mitch is this directed at me for calling you a contrarian? If so I am sorry it came across poorly, I did not mean it in a malicious sense, I've mentioned on this forum before that I also consider myself to be contrarian at times.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Postby mitchellmckain » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Aaron wrote:Mitch is this directed at me for calling you a contrarian?

Certainly NOT!

I laughed at that. I know what you meant.

pay attention to this part of the OP
turn around the next second and deny that they are Christian

Doesn't this make it clear what sort of behavior I am talking about?
mitchellmckain

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:22 pm

mitchellmckain wrote:
turn around the next second and deny that they are Christian

Doesn't this make it clear what sort of behavior I am talking about?

Yeah, I see what you're saying and I also think the Body of Christ does harm itself, which isn't good. This is an enormous topic though. On one hand you're very right to bring up the lack of love and patience and kindness and understanding and humility we as Christians have, then though there is a time for a firm stance, but this too is done out of love, love for God, love for truth, love for what is right, and love for those who could possibly be saved by the truth. Living this life is no easy thing, in fact I believe it is impossible without the members walking in step with Christ.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Postby Chapabel » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:31 am

I find it more astounding how a person can deny basic tenets of the Christian faith (7 day creation, the supernatural miracles of Jesus, the substitutionary death of Christ for the sins of the world, and the literal, physical resurrection of Jesus) and still call themselves a Christian. When asked what makes a person a Christian and the person points to a man-made creed instead of the word of God is placing man's belief ahead of God's fact. Anyone who claims Jesus didn't actually walk on the water, but instead rode Shamu out to the disciples in a boat is not what I would call a true believer in the Bible. Those who flatly call God a liar I do not consider an actual child of God. Call me crazy but that's how I read the Bible.
To be right with God has often meant to be in trouble with men. -- A.W. Tozer
Chapabel

Affiliation: Baptist

Postby Particles » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:03 pm

How do you tell the difference between a man-made creed and the word of God?
Particles

Affiliation: Gnostic atheist

Postby mitchellmckain » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:44 pm

Particles wrote:How do you tell the difference between a man-made creed and the word of God?

#1 By what and whose interests it serves. Power and influence is something that men typically seek after but which God would logically have no need of.
#2 I would look at the Bible because I, at least, believe it is from God. But I realize that this is very coarse filter since people read it in so many different ways. It is a complex collection of writings with many different authors and types of literature. Since, as a Trinitarian, I believe that Jesus is God, then I would see his words as a lens through which to understand the rest of the Bible. The claim that the Bible is self-interpreting is a preposterous lie to substitute a particular interpretation for the actual text, hiding their rather obvious belief that they can do a better job a writing the word of God than God Himself. So I acknowledge that my understanding is an interpretation and insist that it is NOT a substitute for the text and leave the fact that people can read it differently in God's hands alone.
mitchellmckain

Postby Particles » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:47 pm

Oops, sorry for posting here, thought it was the other thread.
Particles

Affiliation: Gnostic atheist

Return to Christians