Where Are The Battle Lines Drawn?

Where Christians can talk among themselves, and about those Godless atheists.

Where Are The Battle Lines Drawn?

Postby fauxaviator » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:01 pm

In Paul's letter to the Ephesian's, he wrote:

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12.

The battle lines were certainly drawn long ago. But where are the battles today and how many are there? Are there boundaries and where are the front lines? To answer this, we only have to look at one of the most complex wars in history, World War II. There were so many different battles and "fronts" to this war, historians are still trying to piece all of the facts together.

In the same way, our battle with Satan and his demons is a complex war with many fronts. We know that. But what has become evident in recent years is that the enemy is bringing out the big guns. Just like the Battle of the Bulge, the losing side is staging an all-out offensive to take down as many people as they can before the end draws near. One can argue that militant jihadists and atheists have been attacking followers of Christ from the beginning. What's new is how they go about it. We've seen how Islamic extremists have stepped up their efforts to impose sharia law on the rest of the world;
they use simple but effective --and deadly-- means to accomplish this. The best example of course is Islamic State. Never before has a terrorist organization gained so much traction so quickly.

The other major front, atheism, used to not be a war at all. At one time, an atheist would tell a person of faith they were not interested. That would be the end of it. The person
of faith would just go about their business and the atheist would leave them alone. This isn't the case anymore. People like Richard Dawkins and others are calling for "militant atheism."
This includes gaining more seats in government, taking down all religious symbolism, and forcing people to register.

Their plans don't stop there. Modern atheists are going as far as putting up websites to encourage people of faith--most notably, Christians-- to give up their faith.
Exchristian.net is probably the best example of this. It disguises itself as a helpful web site to those who were "wronged" by their churches.
It's slick, deceitful and one of the most dangerous affronts to Christ's followers we've ever seen.

I will be posting more details about the war we are in later. For now, I would like to share this thought. The difference between a militant atheist and a follower of Christ is, they
don't want God to exist, and we do. So there really is no point in debating them. The best we can do is protect ourselves from them, and pray the Holy Spirit can find an opening.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Fauxaviator
fauxaviator
resident
resident

Affiliation: Disciple of Christ

Re: Where Are The Battle Lines Drawn?

Postby Chapabel » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:24 am

Good post. I agree with what you said. There is an almost tangible feel to the attacks on Christianity today. I believe it will continue to get worse and worse until the Lord comes back. As John said, "Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus."
To be right with God has often meant to be in trouble with men. -- A.W. Tozer
Chapabel

Affiliation: Baptist

Postby Stacie Cook » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:40 am

I often wonder if things really are worse than they used to be or....
Is it that people are no longer 'hiding' or going along with being a christian, but instead being truthful about what they believe?

I don't know, but I often feel like perhaps people in the fifties and sixties often went to church and went along with the 'christian' facade. Seemingly christian all the while, not really believng, but just doing it because that is what was expected....
Am I wrong? I am 37yrs old, so I don't really know, just wonder.....
If you want to meet God... then the cross is the place to which you go. - Alistair Begg
Stacie Cook

Affiliation: Hypocritical Christian

Postby Chapabel » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:17 am

Stacie Cook wrote:I often wonder if things really are worse than they used to be or....
Is it that people are no longer 'hiding' or going along with being a christian, but instead being truthful about what they believe?

I don't know, but I often feel like perhaps people in the fifties and sixties often went to church and went along with the 'christian' facade. Seemingly christian all the while, not really believng, but just doing it because that is what was expected....

I remember a time like fauxaviator posted (I'm almost 50). But now I see actual attacks on Christianity. Anything that resembles the Christian religion is coming under attack...coaches can't pray with student athletes, no mention of Jesus in Christmas, law suits threatened to any city that displays anything resembling Christianity. Look at the law suits filed against the bakers who refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding. If any Christian stands up for what they believe, they are attacked. I don't see the things that are happening as people simply not going along with Christian traditions.
To be right with God has often meant to be in trouble with men. -- A.W. Tozer
Chapabel

Affiliation: Baptist

Postby Clare » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:31 pm

Chapabel wrote:
Stacie Cook wrote:I often wonder if things really are worse than they used to be or....

I remember a time like fauxaviator posted (I'm almost 50). But now I see actual attacks on Christianity. Anything that resembles the Christian religion is coming under attack...coaches can't pray with student athletes, no mention of Jesus in Christmas, law suits threatened to any city that displays anything resembling Christianity. Look at the law suits filed against the bakers who refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding. If any Christian stands up for what they believe, they are attacked. I don't see the things that are happening as people simply not going along with Christian traditions.

Yeah. And the the Freedom of Religion organization going after Sheriff's for having a religious bumper sticker on their squad car because they find it violates separation of Church and State. No, it doesn't. They also are on a crusade to remove Bibles from Motels. So many little unnecessary crusades. I also don't like how a person who just doesn't agree with homosexual sexual relations is equated with homophobia and bigotry. The movement has an attitude of "You're either for us or against us." Extremism. People can disagree with something and be respectful at the same time. That woman who refused to marry the homosexual couple was just living out her beliefs. She wasn't harming the people and if she did then that'd be wrong. All the homosexual couple had to do was go to another employee who would marry them. Instead, they blew it up into some big deal.
Clare

Affiliation: Catholic

Postby fauxaviator » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:13 pm

I think it would be better for people to leave their church than to just pretend to be Christians. You make a very good point. It will take strong believers of faith to weather the upcoming storms we will face.
fauxaviator
resident
resident

Postby fauxaviator » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Clare wrote:
Chapabel wrote:

Yeah. And the the Freedom of Religion organization going after Sheriff's for having a religious bumper sticker on their squad car because they find it violates separation of Church and State. No, it doesn't. They also are on a crusade to remove Bibles from Motels. So many little unnecessary crusades. I also don't like how a person who just doesn't agree with homosexual sexual relations is equated with homophobia and bigotry. The movement has an attitude of "You're either for us or against us." Extremism. People can disagree with something and be respectful at the same time. That woman who refused to marry the homosexual couple was just living out her beliefs. She wasn't harming the people and if she did then that'd be wrong. All the homosexual couple had to do was go to another employee who would marry them. Instead, they blew it up into some big deal.

Good point, Clare. For this reason, we will have to pray more, study the scriptures more, worship more, and serve each other more if we want to stand firm against these new, brazen attacks.
fauxaviator
resident
resident

Postby mitchellmckain » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:06 pm

fauxaviator wrote:For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12.

I think you are misreading this.

When you make it about your rulers and authorities verses their rulers and authorities then you DO make it against flesh and blood. When you you identify "powers of this dark world" and spiritual forces with those ideologically opposed to you then I think you put you under the command of the very powers and spiritual forces which this passage speaks of.

I don't think the battle line between good and evil is "out there" between different people as much as it is inside every single one of us. The dark powers are the bad habits which cloud our mind and will until we cannot even see the difference between good and evil anymore. The spiritual forces are the wrong values and priorities which distract us from what is really important. The idea that if we can only beat down those who disagree with us then it will be a victory for goodness is nothing but a snare and a delusion, for we will find in the end that when we win it is the evil within ourselves which has the real victory.

The problem isn't THEIR intolerance and violence but ALL intolerance and violence. After all, which came first? The intolerance and violence of the atheists or the intolerance and violence of the theists? The idea that a belief or disbelief in a deity can solve the worlds problems is just plain crazy. When you do this you are continuing to miss the point looking for your answers in power. But a better world will never be found in power and knowledge/belief. It requires love.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Clare » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:32 am

fauxaviator wrote:
Clare wrote:Yeah. And the the Freedom of Religion organization going after Sheriff's for having a religious bumper sticker on their squad car because they find it violates separation of Church and State. No, it doesn't. They also are on a crusade to remove Bibles from Motels. So many little unnecessary crusades. I also don't like how a person who just doesn't agree with homosexual sexual relations is equated with homophobia and bigotry. The movement has an attitude of "You're either for us or against us." Extremism. People can disagree with something and be respectful at the same time. That woman who refused to marry the homosexual couple was just living out her beliefs. She wasn't harming the people and if she did then that'd be wrong. All the homosexual couple had to do was go to another employee who would marry them. Instead, they blew it up into some big deal.

Good point, Clare. For this reason, we will have to pray more, study the scriptures more, worship more, and serve each other more if we want to stand firm against these new, brazen attacks.

Agreed!
Clare

Affiliation: Catholic

Postby Og3 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:39 am

To a general, there are large sweeping advances and retreats, battle lines and logistics plans, tactics and stratagems. To a private, there is merely a foxhole and a target.

It is not for us to draw battle lines and sketch battle maps. It is for us to keep fighting the good fight from our little foxholes. It is for us to share the gospel where we may, to stand for the light and for righteousness where we may, and to listen ever and always for the bugle call.

Once before, in my memory, the world was in a state such as this -- perhaps not so bad, but like this -- and I believed that one of three things must happen: That we must all repent, in an awakening that spans continents; or else there must come a collapse of civilization, as in the fall of Rome to the Allemani or Byzantium to the Turks; or else the Lord must come. As it happened then, the world retreated from that brink. So I now know that there is a fourth possibility.

But we may all find ourselves before the Throne much sooner than we had planned. Buy lamp oil futures.
Og3

Affiliation: Baptist (SBC)

Return to Christians