Romans Road

Where Christians can talk among themselves, and about those Godless atheists.

Romans Road

Postby Stacie Cook » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:33 am

Never heard of Romans Road til now. Have you? Pretty neat...

It is about 3 min long.
https://youtu.be/dPRQ1nfm_34
If you want to meet God... then the cross is the place to which you go. - Alistair Begg
Stacie Cook

Affiliation: Hypocritical Christian

Re: Romans Road

Postby mitchellmckain » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:51 am

Yes! If I was going to preach from any one book of the Bible it would be the book of Romans! In fact, I have done this before -- just read straight through the whole text of Romans from beginning to end. That way nobody could say I was putting my own spin on anything!
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Chapabel » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:25 am

The Romans Road is a terrific route to lead someone to Christ. I have traveled it several times.
To be right with God has often meant to be in trouble with men. -- A.W. Tozer
Chapabel

Affiliation: Baptist

Postby Og3 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:30 pm

I've also heard the gospel explained from just Romans 6:23

The Wages of sin is death.

Wages:
Are Earned
Are Deserved
Are A natural consequence of our actions
Are inevitable on payday

Death:
Physical death
Spiritual death

The Gift of God is Eternal Life

Gift:
Not Earned
Not Deserved
Not a Natural Consequence
Given from Love

Life:
Abundant
Everlasting
Fulfilling

How (do we avoid our wages and accept the gift?) :
Through Jesus Christ, Our Lord.
Og3

Affiliation: Baptist (SBC)

Postby mitchellmckain » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:28 pm

So the guy in the video jumps around picking the verses of Romans he likes in order to fashion a Christianity which suits him.

The Gnostic legalists don't like chapter 2 of Romans where Paul makes it very clear it is what we do which counts NOT WHAT WE KNOW. Rom 2:6 "For he will render to every man according to his works". Rom 2:13 "fFor it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified" Rom 2:14 "When Gentiles who have not the law do by nature what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts" And they skip over the beginning of Romans 10 where we have the ultimate condemnation and test for legalism versus faith
Romans 10 wrote:5 Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on the law shall live by it. 6 But the righteousness based on faith says, Do not say in your heart, “Who will ascend into heaven?” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 or “Who will descend into the abyss?” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).

Now my point is OBVIOUSLY not to pick out my own verses to replace the ones already pointed out in the video. I have already suggested just reading Romans straight through from the beginning so EVERYTHING is in its proper order and context. I am certainly NOT teaching a gospel of salvation by works, for example, but objecting to the simplification of the gospel to one of capitulation to a set of approved doctrines like the Gnostic legalists. The gospel we find in the Bible without cherry picking in this manner is a gospel of salvation entirely by the grace of God, who asks us to have faith which is made real in the works of love for our fellow human beings who are in need. That is what we see being taught by Jesus, Paul and James for sure.

I hesitate to even include this part because it a little off topic and certainly not of great importance compared to the above. It is just that parts of Og3's post bothered me because it was not there in Romans at all. Though the truth is, I might not have posted anything at all if it wasn't for the irritation I felt and this injection of non-Pauline theology into the topic.

Then we have Og3 adding things which are not in Romans and which in fact contradict other parts of the Bible even Paul himself. How? He takes the words of Romans 6:23 and dictates the definition of the words according to his own theology. If we really want to know what PAUL says about the physical and the spiritual we can go 1 Cor 15 where he directly addresses the question of, (1 Cor 15:35) "with what kind of bodies are we resurrected?" The answer he gives is (1 Cor 15:44) "It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body."

Does Paul talk about the physical at all in Romans? We find it in Romans 2:27-28 where he talks about circumcision saying, it is not physical circumcision which counts but keeping the requirements of the law which counts as circumcision even if we are not physically circumcised -- and he calls this a spiritual circumcision in Rom 2:29, which is a matter of the heart and not the body. After all this was the issues of legalism Paul was fighting against in his time.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Postby Aaron » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:32 pm

mitchellmckain wrote:In fact, I have done this before -- just read straight through the whole text of Romans from beginning to end. That way nobody could say I was putting my own spin on anything!

I think we get so much out of a straight reading through. I do think meditation on a specific passage is very important, but there is also much value in just reading an entire book in one sitting.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Postby Og3 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:34 pm

mitchellmckain wrote:So the guy in the video jumps around picking the verses of Romans he likes in order to fashion a Christianity which suits him.

The Gnostic legalists don't like chapter 2 of Romans where Paul makes it very clear it is what we do which counts NOT WHAT WE KNOW. Rom 2:6 "For he will render to every man according to his works". Rom 2:13 "fFor it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified" Rom 2:14 "When Gentiles who have not the law do by nature what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts" And they skip over the beginning of Romans 10 where we have the ultimate condemnation and test for legalism versus faith
Romans 10 wrote:5 Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on the law shall live by it. 6 But the righteousness based on faith says, Do not say in your heart, “Who will ascend into heaven?” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 or “Who will descend into the abyss?” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).

Now my point is OBVIOUSLY not to pick out my own verses to replace the ones already pointed out in the video. I have already suggested just reading Romans straight through from the beginning so EVERYTHING is in its proper order and context. I am certainly NOT teaching a gospel of salvation by works, for example, but objecting to the simplification of the gospel to one of capitulation to a set of approved doctrines like the Gnostic legalists. The gospel we find in the Bible without cherry picking in this manner is a gospel of salvation entirely by the grace of God, who asks us to have faith which is made real in the works of love for our fellow human beings who are in need. That is what we see being taught by Jesus, Paul and James for sure.

I hesitate to even include this part because it a little off topic and certainly not of great importance compared to the above. It is just that parts of Og3's post bothered me because it was not there in Romans at all. Though the truth is, I might not have posted anything at all if it wasn't for the irritation I felt and this injection of non-Pauline theology into the topic.

Then we have Og3 adding things which are not in Romans and which in fact contradict other parts of the Bible even Paul himself. How? He takes the words of Romans 6:23 and dictates the definition of the words according to his own theology. If we really want to know what PAUL says about the physical and the spiritual we can go 1 Cor 15 where he directly addresses the question of, (1 Cor 15:35) "with what kind of bodies are we resurrected?" The answer he gives is (1 Cor 15:44) "It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body."

Does Paul talk about the physical at all in Romans? We find it in Romans 2:27-28 where he talks about circumcision saying, it is not physical circumcision which counts but keeping the requirements of the law which counts as circumcision even if we are not physically circumcised -- and he calls this a spiritual circumcision in Rom 2:29, which is a matter of the heart and not the body. After all this was the issues of legalism Paul was fighting against in his time.

I don't see that your points necessarily contradict what I have said. Do you hold a different definition of wages or of gifts? Was Paul not implying that death is a natural consequent of sin? Or that life is given because of God's love?

What exegesis do you draw from Romans 6:23?
Og3

Affiliation: Baptist (SBC)

Return to Christians