Prayer request...

Where Christians can talk among themselves, and about those Godless atheists.

Prayer request...

Postby Stacie Cook » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:03 am

Friends, I could use some prayers....

My husband wants to go to seminary. I am okay with that, but he wants to move in order to go to seminary. We are in Indiana. The seminary he wants to attend is 3hrs north of us, still in Indiana. He doesn't feel that online classes will be worthwhile and he doesn't want to be driving back and forth. I do not want to move. I want to be able to support him and say yes to moving, but I know myself well enough to know that if I just go along with moving even though I don't want to, the after effects will be horrible. We have four young children in Kindergarten. I just don't feel like this is the right time to be uprooting and moving. Please pray that we can come to some kind of an agreement. I really don't want to move. I can't figure out if I am just too attached to our life here or not. We have moved before (3 times pre-kids) and I was fine with that. But we have been here 8yrs now and live in a great community and neighborhood. He moved around a lot as a kid (like 10-12 times) and I did not. I moved one time before I turned 18. I feel like this is contributing to the decision. I hate feeling like this. It is unusual for us to not be in agreement on something like this. Thank you so much.
If you want to meet God... then the cross is the place to which you go. - Alistair Begg
Stacie Cook

Affiliation: Hypocritical Christian

Re: Prayer request...

Postby Clare » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:44 am

Yeah when you especially have 4 children and you're settled moving isn't a decision to be made lightly especially when you know the after effects will not be good. So, I agree with you. And, it's good you also want to support your husband but like you said, the move doesn't just affect him but you and the kids. It should be a decision made in peace and unity. So, I'll definitely keep your situation in my prayers and I know the Lord will make the way known if He hasn't already :)
Clare

Affiliation: Catholic

Postby Rian » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:17 pm

That sounds exactly like my situation, Stacie, even down to how many times you and your husband moved. It's a tough decision; I'll pray for you. Thanks for sharing with us!
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Postby kuwano » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi Stacie - sure will be praying for you. Moving is a tough thing when you have little ones. We moved a lot early on when my daughter was young - but have stayed put in our current house for 4 years now.

If I'm honest I would have moved for my career - there was a time just a few years ago I was really restless and some great jobs came up. It was tough to decide to stay where we were as it meant giving up working at a top flight university. But a few years on I'm thankful we stayed where we are - and I'm pretty happy being mediocre as I can come home early and play with the kids. But it took a long time for me to see it that way!

But on the other hand, when we moved to where we now live we took a risk - my wife really wanted to stay in London but she agreed to move here. It was a struggle for her as she had a really great community of friends, our daughter was happy and settled in multicultural London where a mixed race family is no big deal. So moving to a place where it is 90-95% White was challenging in a way that it wouldn't have been if we stayed in London (our daughter doesn't want Japanese food in her lunch box as the other kids make fun of her) but we've settled as a family and my wife and kids wouldn't move for the world.

Either in staying or going God was with us through it - but I always struggle with what's the best thing to do.
kuwano
resident
resident

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Stacie Cook » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:17 pm

Thank you all. This is very encouraging. Rian, if you don't mind sharing here or in pm, how did you end up deciding to move? Or what 'settled' your mind about moving?

Kuwano- That is where I am at right now. We have a great community. The house we are in was one we had built 8yrs ago. This is where our kids have grown from babies to toddlers to young children. We have so many memories tied up here. I know it is just a house, but the thought of leaving it and someone else being here makes me so sad. I expected to grow out of this house eventually, but in a more organic way if that makes sense. Lol.
If you want to meet God... then the cross is the place to which you go. - Alistair Begg
Stacie Cook

Postby Senrenden » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Unfortunately, I can't relate being not married and childless but I sympathize and can understand it's tough right now and you're feeling unsure. But, from one Christian to another, fight the fear and unrest. Keep the faith and trust in God like the faith and trust your kids have in you and your husband. I'll definitely be praying about this.
Senrenden
recruit
recruit

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm currently in the midst of great distress about a life changing decision as well Stacie (moving, job, family etc). I want it to be over, I hate the anxiety and having to feel like I'm being pulled in multiple directions and not really sure what I want and not really sure if I'm making the right decision. But when I remember to pray and set my mind on God it is amazing how he does bring peace (not always, but more and more often it seems and more and more powerful, though I am a work in progress). Yesterday there was a moment where many things seemed to come down on me at work and I was overwhelmed. I went to the bathroom and prayed something to the effect, "God, I am not strong enough for this, I don't know what to do, please accomplish your will, please let your will be done, please change me and give me the strength to do what you bring" and I remembered the passage from the Psalm, "Teach me to do your will, for you are my God, let your good Spirit lead me on level ground." And I have to say that that day I have never seen the hand of God intervene in my life like it did, causing things to happen, events to coincide, emails to get lost, strength and change in me to do things that I would have been too afraid to do in the past, it was all just so strange, literally God heard my prayer and he was accomplishing his will, it was as though I could see his hand moving through the air as strange as that might sound.

As much as I hate the inner turmoil and anxiety it is good, I am learning to be honest with him about my turmoil inside, to ask him to work on me, not so much my situation, because I can see now that I am the one who needs help, to confront the anxiety that I feel, to tell him that I don't know how to overcome my problems and ask him for help, ask him to change me, to break me. I don't know what the answer to your problem is, I hope you figure it out. But just know you're not the only one to have inner turmoil. Jesus did too. Maybe we can follow in his footsteps and pray that God's will be done and ask for strength and change in us to really believe and trust that God will accomplish his will and to accept it, content simply and always that God loves us and that his grace is sufficient and not to just say nice Christian sayings but to actually have them come alive in the deepest parts of our being. I just asked God to help you, may he give you wisdom and peace.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Postby Stacie Cook » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:53 am

Thank you all. I appreciate it. One thing I have learned so far- Several months ago my husband and I were talking about him potentially going to seminary and the possibility of moving. I had said that I didn't want to move, but if he felt that was the best thing then I would be willing. Recently though I have been thinking about that and realizing that although I said I would be willing to move, I wasn't really. It wasn't until I was really honest about my not wanting to move that I have felt like we are getting somewhere.... even though I still feel like the decision is muddy. But my being truly honest with how I feel has helped. As the wife, I am to submit and abide and I want to. But I don't want to do it grudgingly. I want to be able to support my husband honestly. Thanks for letting me vent.
Stacie Cook

Postby mitchellmckain » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:30 pm

Hmmm... In my experience, prayer usually leads to surrender.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Postby Chapabel » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:51 am

Praying for your situation Stacie. Having received my degree via distance learning, I can say that it was a terrific experience for me. I have taken traditional and online classes. I found that the online classes were more difficult because you must be structured and dedicated to your studies. Not only do I feel that I received a great education, it helped me to prioritize things and discipline myself. May God give you and your husband peace in whatever decision is made.
To be right with God has often meant to be in trouble with men. -- A.W. Tozer
Chapabel

Affiliation: Baptist

Postby Rian » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Hey guys, I would appreciate your prayers. After battling ovarian cancer, including a ovarian-cancer-fighting-style hysterectomy (a lovely 12"-plus scar on my stomach) followed by the "butt-kicking" (as the nurses called it) chemo (because the easier chemo gave me neuropathy) I have been cancer-free for a year and 3 months. However, with this latest 3-month check-up, my CA-125 number doubled (although it's still below the limit), so they want me to go from checking every 3 months to checking every month. So I'm getting re-tested next week.

I wasn't very scared with the first diagnosis, because they found it very early and the success rate was in the 90's, and most of the time I was too exhausted to be scared, but I'm battling being scared this time around because I've been thru a very rough chemo and typically if you get a return, they hit you up with something even rougher. I really don't know how I would even survive a rougher chemo, because the one I went through sent me to the ER quite a few times. So please pray that my number goes back down and I stay cancer-free, and that I will successfully battle the fear. Thanks!
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Postby Stacie Cook » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:43 pm

You got it. Adding you to our prayer list. *Hugs*
Stacie Cook

Postby Clare » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:44 pm

I will prayer for you as well, Rian.
Clare

Affiliation: Catholic

Postby kuwano » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Rian wrote:Hey guys, I would appreciate your prayers. After battling ovarian cancer, including a ovarian-cancer-fighting-style hysterectomy (a lovely 12"-plus scar on my stomach) followed by the "butt-kicking" (as the nurses called it) chemo (because the easier chemo gave me neuropathy) I have been cancer-free for a year and 3 months. However, with this latest 3-month check-up, my CA-125 number doubled (although it's still below the limit), so they want me to go from checking every 3 months to checking every month. So I'm getting re-tested next week.

I wasn't very scared with the first diagnosis, because they found it very early and the success rate was in the 90's, and most of the time I was too exhausted to be scared, but I'm battling being scared this time around because I've been thru a very rough chemo and typically if you get a return, they hit you up with something even rougher. I really don't know how I would even survive a rougher chemo, because the one I went through sent me to the ER quite a few times. So please pray that my number goes back down and I stay cancer-free, and that I will successfully battle the fear. Thanks!

Hi Rian - will be praying for you. Yeah I remember my mum had something similar - the chemo was very tough. Battling the fear is very common but can be a difficult challenge. Part of my research a while back was on the physical and psychological responses to illnesses like cancer - I think we're beginning to understand the challenges a little better but there's much more of a way to go.
kuwano
resident
resident

Postby Stacie Cook » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:06 am

Hey Friends- I have an update.
Sooo..... yeah, we are moving. But I have come to terms with it and I am good with it. Last Thursday we visited the area we will be moving to. The kids are completely fine with moving (which surprised me a little), so I figure I don't have much reason to not want to move. I am so sad to leave this house. It has so many 'firsts' for us, but I know we will have many more 'firsts' in our new place and it will be a bit of an adventure learning about our new city and decorating our new place.
I just don't know how we are going to downsize all of our stuff from an 8yr, 4 bed, 3 car garage, 2100sq ft plus a basement home into a smaller 3 bed, 2 car garage, probably no basement home. I know we will, just trying to figure out what to keep, sell, donate, trash, etc.
All in good time.....

Thank you so much for the prayers!
Stacie Cook

Next

Return to Christians