Ep. 130: A rolling stop

Discuss the latest podcast here.

Ep. 130: A rolling stop

Postby Emery » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:58 pm

This is the last one guys. Time for a change of personnel. Can you believe it's been 130 episodes? Thanks so much to everyone for listening over the last 9 years, and for keeping the forum alive and well. Thanks especially to Scott and Norton for their tireless efforts as co-hosts.

Keep posting everyone, and keep your ears open for AC&A 2.0!
They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea. - Sir Francis Bacon
Emery

Affiliation: Atheist

Re: Ep. 130: A rolling stop

Postby Banana Man » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:04 am

I'm really sorry to hear you're hanging up your host hat Emery. I've always enjoyed your style and don't think the show would have worked as well if you hadn't done such a good job of keeping the debates civil and friendly. I can understand that you don't have the time to dedicate to the show and that you need to deal with life and family first.
I hope you find the right host to take the reins and I'll be looking forward to hearing you as a guest.
"Faith is believing what you know ain't so."
Mark Twain
Banana Man
new recruit
new recruit

Affiliation: Recovering Christian

Postby PositiveDissent » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:42 am

::Slow clap:: for the patience displayed over the last 9 years. While at times, it seemed like you let some things slide (especially with Tony), I doubt anyone would really try to make the case that you did not exhibit a significant degree of patience on most of the episodes. It was that style that probably kept the show successful for the last almost-decade. Thanks for the time and effort you put into the show.
PositiveDissent
new recruit
new recruit

Postby Keep The Reason » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:44 am

Thanks for a job well done. I hope you will pursue some form of activism either here on the interwebs or in the material world (preferably both). Your talents and wisdom are sorely needed. Thanks to Norton and Scott as well.

I'm sorry to see this come to an end, but it's understandable. Be well, and much success to you and your family.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby Johnv55 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:04 pm

I apologize in advance for this out of place comment.... but this is the first time I have posted to the forum, (and may be the last) and it is entirely to "fan" gush all over you guys. I feel similar to the way Scott would react if he got to hold the ice cubes that Michael Sweet keeps packed in his snug but well fitting leather underwear. I have not listened to this last episode yet..... but I wanted you guys to know... (Emery, Scott, Norton, Glen, and Big Tony) that to truly honor the show and do this right I am hosting a "Christian and Atheist" party at my house this weekend.. I have several friends that listen to the show as well and we are getting together for dinner, drinks... Stryper pregame... possibly some spandex... and your final podcast.. followed by I'm sure much discussion and sharing of memories of all our favorite shows late into the night.... .

Thanks guys for being who you are.. and for all your hard work.. it's been truly amazing.. again.. Thank you... (if you could see me now I am standing and applauding loudly... well right after i finish typing this)
-a close friend of your voices- John
Johnv55
new recruit
new recruit

Postby Emery » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:48 am

Thanks for the kind words guys. And John, if at your party, you take a drink every time I say "well," you should have a very good time. :cheers:
They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea. - Sir Francis Bacon
Emery

Postby Scan69 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Awww, I was hoping you would go on and on :D

What am I going to listen to when I soak in the bath now?!
Scan69
recruit
recruit

Postby humanguy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:33 pm

This is major stuff, Emory, I'm really sorry to see this. Are you cutting off all connection to this forum? Is this goodbye? Who will take it over? Who will replace you on the podcasts?
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Affiliation: Human

Postby Emery » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:54 pm

I'll still be connected, but ideally podcasts won't be tied to my schedule or ability to research/record/post them. Not sure who will take over, but the format will be the same, namely a Christian and an Atheist. I'm hoping to be a guest from time to time, and help manage the site and forum.

It's all still evolving, but the idea is to improve the show quality, and not let it get dragged down by my busy schedule, as it has recently. So it's a change, but hopefully a change for the better.
Emery

Postby mfreeman1008 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:09 am

Very sad to see you leave Emery. You have done an amazing job with this podcast over the years and this has become one of my select podcasts that I actually enjoy listening to regularly. Whoever takes on your role will have some big shoes to fill and hopefully they have the same civil demeanor that you show to your guests, even when discussing topics that you don't agree with.

I will definitely be following your endeavors over at losingmyreligion.com! Best of luck to you man! :D
mfreeman1008
new recruit
new recruit

Postby Dr Mundo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:53 am

I really enjoyed listening to you emery, I always looked forward to new podcast episodes.

Tony, I can't believe you said what you said, I feel like you should know better. Perhaps it is just a fundamental misunderstanding of any position out side of your own, rather than something malicious, or at least I hope so.
The question [Do you believe in God?] has a peculiar structure. If I say no, do I mean I'm convinced God doesn't exist, or do I mean I'm not convinced he does exist? Those are two very different questions. [Dr. Arroway]
Dr Mundo

Affiliation: Chuck-e-Cheese

Postby spongebob » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:58 am

Dr Mundo wrote:I really enjoyed listening to you emery, I always looked forward to new podcast episodes.

Tony, I can't believe you said what you said, I feel like you should know better. Perhaps it is just a fundamental misunderstanding of any position out side of your own, rather than something malicious, or at least I hope so.

If Tony ends up being a major contributor to this podcast, I doubt I'll ever listen again.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby mitchellmckain » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:08 pm

What statement of Tony is Dr. Mundo responding to? Did Tony post something that was subsequently removed?

Of course I am not in favor of Tony representing the Christian side of the podcast either. Although I understand the desire of the atheists to confront that sector of Christianity, I have a hard enough time with those podcasts as it is. That aspect of Christianity should certainly be acknowledged but so should the rational side.

Just as Emery represents the best face of atheism, Christianity needs a similar representative who is just as will to examine things rationally as Emery does. The podcast really needs representatives like this on both sides otherwise the podcasts will become superficial rhetoric that fails to really dig into the issues and into fundamental questions that divide the two sides from each other.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Simplyme » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:33 am

spongebob wrote:
Dr Mundo wrote:I really enjoyed listening to you emery, I always looked forward to new podcast episodes.

If Tony ends up being a major contributor to this podcast, I doubt I'll ever listen again.

What did Tony write?
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme

Postby Keep The Reason » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:42 pm

DM is responding to something Tony said on the podcast itself.

Basically, we atheists, if we are to "be consistent", are only DNA and being tricked by DNA, we have no purpose, no meaning, and so if people would live purely on atheistic principles, civilization would collapse.

Of course, it's just bullshit bigotry on Tony's part.

1) Being atheist means one rejects theistic philosophy / claims. It doesn't say anything about the things one DOES adopt as meaningful.
2) Nowhere is it written as an objective law of nature that purpose or meaning has to come from gods. Tony may think there's no meaning in an atheist worldview, but I beg to differ. I find lots of meaning in my world's views, and derive satisfaction, joy and pleasure from the experience of being alive. He may need more (indeed, he insists he does need more) but that's his psychological lacking, not anyone else's (even if a lot of other people have that same need or desire).
3) Atheistic (i.e., secular) civilizations seem to be doing fine, thank you very much. Many theistic ones, like Pakistan, Uganda, lately Russia, and the USA -- seem to be spiraling ever downwards into chaos and greater disparity between classes.
4) Tony is just as likely being tricked by his DNA-wired god-desires.

Finally, it's quite a disappointment to me that Emery allowed Tony this final word. Frankly, I was hoping Norton might have been able to say a few words -- at least that would have ended the podcast with a voice different than that of Tony, who really is mired in his bigotry of atheists and atheism. But, it's not my show, and it is what it is.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Next

Return to Podcasts