Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby spongebob » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:13 pm

osFe wrote:Well said. I too see Obama as another establishment politician with no intention of any real change. That's why I never voted for him and threw my vote away in both elections. To me personally it seems like he cares more about trying to establish his legacy for the history books than he does actually running or fixing the country. Not that the Republicans have made his job easy on any of the things he has tried to do.


I guess I have no idea what you guys expect a president to do. You do realize he does not have unlimited powers, right? And you do realize that Republicans have filibustered and obstructed a vast amount of Democratic bills, proposals and appointments, right? Obama has actually utilized this executive powers to an almost dangerous degree just to get some things done. Remember the Affordable Care Act? Passed despite no Republican votes in the House. And they have spent the last two years attempting to tear it down by terrorizing his presidency and the US credit. He has power but using it causes enormous backlash. Do you not realize this?
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
User avatar
spongebob
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5783
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:59 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL
Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby mitchellmckain » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:38 pm

spongebob wrote:
osFe wrote:Well said. I too see Obama as another establishment politician with no intention of any real change. That's why I never voted for him and threw my vote away in both elections. To me personally it seems like he cares more about trying to establish his legacy for the history books than he does actually running or fixing the country. Not that the Republicans have made his job easy on any of the things he has tried to do.


I guess I have no idea what you guys expect a president to do. You do realize he does not have unlimited powers, right? And you do realize that Republicans have filibustered and obstructed a vast amount of Democratic bills, proposals and appointments, right? Obama has actually utilized this executive powers to an almost dangerous degree just to get some things done. Remember the Affordable Care Act? Passed despite no Republican votes in the House. And they have spent the last two years attempting to tear it down by terrorizing his presidency and the US credit. He has power but using it causes enormous backlash. Do you not realize this?

I am definitely with you on this one Bob. Incremental improvement NOT revolution is the way to achieve positive change. The areas where the President has the most power is the area where He can do the most damage (i.e. military action). The Republicans sure are complaining in that area so I think he is doing something right.

Some people just cannot stand the politics because they want to push their agenda on the majority whether they like it or not. This country doesn't work that way, thank God! The process of change is a little bit more complicated and time consuming.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
User avatar
mitchellmckain
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby spongebob » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:57 pm

mitchellmckain wrote:I am definitely with you on this one Bob. Incremental improvement NOT revolution is the way to achieve positive change.

The areas where the President has the most power is the area where He can do the most damage (i.e. military action). The Republicans sure are complaining in that area so I think he is doing something right.


That's a really good point. And I wasn't aware until recently that the military powers of the President have greatly changed over the years. I'm of the opinion that they are a little to liberal right now. And as you said, when he decided to seek congressional approval of engaging the military in Libya, the Republicans were critical. Heck, I thought that was what he was supposed to do.

Some people just cannot stand the politics because they want to push their agenda on the majority whether they like it or not. This country doesn't work that way, thank God! The process of change is a little bit more complicated and time consuming.


I have to agree. Even if I agree with the changes, if they don't represent the majority of citizens there will likely be some kind of push back, which is unsettling and detrimental to the country.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
User avatar
spongebob
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5783
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:59 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL
Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Dr Mundo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:34 pm

spongebob wrote:
mitchellmckain wrote:I am definitely with you on this one Bob. Incremental improvement NOT revolution is the way to achieve positive change.

The areas where the President has the most power is the area where He can do the most damage (i.e. military action). The Republicans sure are complaining in that area so I think he is doing something right.


That's a really good point. And I wasn't aware until recently that the military powers of the President have greatly changed over the years. I'm of the opinion that they are a little to liberal right now. And as you said, when he decided to seek congressional approval of engaging the military in Libya, the Republicans were critical. Heck, I thought that was what he was supposed to do.

Some people just cannot stand the politics because they want to push their agenda on the majority whether they like it or not. This country doesn't work that way, thank God! The process of change is a little bit more complicated and time consuming.


I have to agree. Even if I agree with the changes, if they don't represent the majority of citizens there will likely be some kind of push back, which is unsettling and detrimental to the country.

I agree with you more than you think. I don't want a dictator even if it is someone I agree with policy wise. The reason I said I don't like him is because he doesn't represent my views. He doesn't have to enact executive orders enforcing what I want but rather take a firm position on what his views are. I can't copy and paste stuff I'm on my tablet ATM but when I get home I will tell you what I would like from a president and why Obama is not that person. I will do it as a response to your questions.

By the way mitch I have no problems with you cracking jokes at my expense. I appreciate humor and if it is in the spirit of having fun with one an other, have at it.
The question [Do you believe in God?] has a peculiar structure. If I say no, do I mean I'm convinced God doesn't exist, or do I mean I'm not convinced he does exist? Those are two very different questions. [Dr. Arroway]
User avatar
Dr Mundo
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:31 am
Location: Central California
Affiliation: Chuck-e-Cheese

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby One16Unashamed » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:Issa doesn't like it that Lois Lerner still is taking the 5th regarding the alleged tax conspiracy against right wing orgs, so he shuts down the meeting before allowing the opposing party make any comment.

Not a good idea.



Since we know that Lois Learner had a secret email address, do you believe that this is still an "alleged " tax conspiracy?
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Keep The Reason » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:47 pm

As I said previously:

The IRS issue is what it is, but what I am highlighting is the attempt by Issa to silence Cummings.


If there's a scandal there's a scandal and the law needs to prevail. It's simple, and non-partisan.
Last edited by Keep The Reason on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby One16Unashamed » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:As I said previously:

The IRS issue is what it is, but what I am highlighting is the attempt by Issa to silence Cummings.


If there's a scandal there's a scandal.


Not just a scandal but an attempt to silence Christians, done by those who represent you and the party you stand with. Deep down I know you don't care, and are probably ok with it.
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Keep The Reason » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:19 pm

One16Unashamed wrote:
Keep The Reason wrote:As I said previously:

The IRS issue is what it is, but what I am highlighting is the attempt by Issa to silence Cummings.


If there's a scandal there's a scandal.


Not just a scandal but an attempt to silence Christians, done by those who represent you and the party you stand with. Deep down I know you don't care, and are probably ok with it.


No, I am NOT okay with it. If she was targeting Christians unfairly, she deserves to be prosecuted for it.

Do you need me to say it again? Usually, facts hit your head like a gnat against a titanium hull, and simply bounces off. If any individual tries to unfairly muzzle or silence someone or some group, they need to be prosecuted for breaking the law.

Do I think because you will invariably find a couple of people who do this sort of thing, that represents some vast "Christian Persecution" you and your ilk have been whining about? No. It's not persecution to tell persecutors they are no longer allowed the privilege of persecution. However, this is not a case like that if Cummings actually targeted Christian groups. She's wrong, she broke the law, and she should be prosecuted and sentenced if found guilty.

I don't care WHICH party she's from.

Perish the thought you'd ever have the integrity to stand against those nutjobs in YOUR party however. You HAVE no real opinions, you are merely an echo chamber for the bubble chamber.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby One16Unashamed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:19 am

Actually I do take stands against my own party, I've done it by withholding my vote for certain people like Lindsay Graham.

I also so an article today concerning mainly Republicans sponsoring a bill that keeps labels off GMO's. Showing who got paid to do that. I'm more liberal in my view on more organic foods than most.
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Keep The Reason » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:48 am

One16Unashamed wrote:Actually I do take stands against my own party, I've done it by withholding my vote for certain people like Lindsay Graham.

I also so an article today concerning mainly Republicans sponsoring a bill that keeps labels off GMO's. Showing who got paid to do that. I'm more liberal in my view on more organic foods than most.


Great.

Eat more fish. They say it's brain food.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Jesus Raves » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:54 am

Wait. Are you serious? Even when you're being "liberal", you're wrong? Wow. I'm amazed.
User avatar
Jesus Raves
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby One16Unashamed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:30 am

Jesus Raves wrote:Wait. Are you serious? Even when you're being "liberal", you're wrong? Wow. I'm amazed.


Several years ago I watched a documentary on slaughter houses and it really changed my view, not a radical change but a change. I also started growing heirlooms in my garden. I do want to know if my food is GMO.
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Jesus Raves » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:45 am

GMOs are, in general, not harmful. On the contrary, often they're quite helpful. There's really no point to labeling GM foods as GM, as not only is that such a broad term that it'd make the label meaningless, it also makes GMOs out to be a bogeyman they aren't--according to almost all reputable studies related to the topic.

However, I'm heartened that you allowed your views to be changed, even only slightly, by a source outside the conservative echo chamber.
User avatar
Jesus Raves
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby One16Unashamed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Jesus Raves wrote:GMOs are, in general, not harmful. On the contrary, often they're quite helpful. There's really no point to labeling GM foods as GM, as not only is that such a broad term that it'd make the label meaningless, it also makes GMOs out to be a bogeyman they aren't--according to almost all reputable studies related to the topic.

However, I'm heartened that you allowed your views to be changed, even only slightly, by a source outside the conservative echo chamber.


Like I said I am not as radical as some on the issue, I will buy vegetables that are considered genetically modified but I do prefer organic. I will purchase grass feed beef above corn fed beef 9 times out of 10. However when eating out you don't always have that luxury.

My views can and do change, but you guys are too quick to say someone is an idiot, troll, etc... But since this isn't the topic that this is happening in, I will not delve into that here.

I wish I could remember that documentary so I could point you to it.
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Jesus Raves » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:35 pm

I try to avoid documentaries--of that ilk--as I find they tend to be even more biased than other sources of information--such as scientific studies. I would never based an opinion on a Michael Moore documentary, for example; dude's got an agenda.

I don't believe I've ever called you an idiot, but it's certainly possible. Your worldview is diametrically opposed to mine.
User avatar
Jesus Raves
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

PreviousNext

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest