Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Keep The Reason » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Jesus Raves wrote:I don't believe I've ever called you an idiot, but it's certainly possible.


No but you did call him "grotesquely ignorant". And I agree with you, he is, and as best as I can tell, he is purposely ignorant.

That is colloquially known as "behaving like an idiot". If you think rephrasing it into "grotesquely ignorant" somehow isn't recognized as being just as harsh as calling him an idiot outright, then you're fooling yourself.

I am simply employing Messrs. Strunk and White's time-honored axiom of the written word which reads: "Omit needless words".
Last edited by Keep The Reason on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10391
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Jesus Raves » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:47 pm

Every good writer knows accuracy is just as important as brevity. "You're idiotic" is brief, no needless words there, but idiotic is such a broad term that it's virtually never the most accurate choice. I feel that "You're grotesquely ignorant" omits needless words while also maintaining accuracy. On top of all that, "grotesquely ignorant" is slightly less inflammatory than "idiot".

I do love to debate writing and grammar, though, so please continue to call me out when you think I'm falling short in that area.
User avatar
Jesus Raves
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:39 am

Jesus Raves wrote:Every good writer knows accuracy is just as important as brevity. "You're idiotic" is brief, no needless words there, but idiotic is such a broad term that it's virtually never the most accurate choice. I feel that "You're grotesquely ignorant" omits needless words while also maintaining accuracy. On top of all that, "grotesquely ignorant" is slightly less inflammatory than "idiot".

I do love to debate writing and grammar, though, so please continue to call me out when you think I'm falling short in that area.


Arguably true when a new person is behaving grotesquely ignorant, but after a pattern of it that spans months and years and is overt, or even in a thread where the pattern is relentless over pages of entrenched idiocy, "You're an idiot" serves in accuracy, efficiency, and efficacy.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10391
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Jesus Raves » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:59 am

I can understand why you'd consider him a pure idiot, but for me... Well, I guess I'm just too optimistic.
User avatar
Jesus Raves
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby One16Unashamed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:07 am

Jesus Raves wrote:I can understand why you'd consider him a pure idiot, but for me... Well, I guess I'm just too optimistic.


KTR has problems with people who hold different world views than him. Especially Christians, it has a lot to do with his harsh catholic upbringing. He also views these discussions as things that must be won or lost. The majority of what he says is done by attacking the individual.

I'm not looking to win anything here, I am looking to discuss and hash out different views.
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Jesus Raves » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:17 am

I'm not sure that even one of the statements you just made is true--as in factually accurate.
User avatar
Jesus Raves
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Re: Issa (R) Cuts off mic of Cummings (D)

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:42 am

One16Unashamed wrote:KTR has problems with people who hold different world views than him. Especially Christians, it has a lot to do with his harsh catholic upbringing.


Since :duh: is trying to speak for me, I thought it important to put to rest his :duh:ness.

1. My Catholic upbringing wasn't harsh. It was actually pretty nice, except of course for the Hell stuff. But otherwise, it was more a traditional thing, with lots of pageantry and traditions. As I grow older, I considered Catholicism to be too liberal and not strict enough; I moved to Pentecostalism to find a more disciplined version of Christianity.

2. Of course I "have problems" with differing worldviews. Who doesn't? I disagree with worldviews based on myths and fantasy. I have problems with worldviews based on fascism, and nationalism, and usury, and so on. I have serious problems with the worldview of Islam, which today is a pretty dangerous entity. Since I live in the USA where Christian privilege has ruled the roost for 200 years, I take most issue with Christianity here. Given also that the forum itself is titled, "A Christian and an Atheist".

One16Unashamed wrote:He also views these discussions as things that must be won or lost. The majority of what he says is done by attacking the individual.


I always attack the ideas and ideology first. Then, if the person holding the the ideas or ideology entrenches against a galaxy of facts showing they are wrong, or they ignore such facts and deliberately refuse to answer direct challenges, I define them as either pursuing an agenda grounded in bias, or of being an idiot. This is not a flip-flop, but usually a gradual evolution across time. :duh: achieved :duh:-hood a long time ago.

One16Unashamed wrote:I'm not looking to win anything here, I am looking to discuss and hash out different views.


:duh: has been challenged directly here -- let's see if he answers and supports this claim of his that he wishes to "discuss and hash out different views".
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10391
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Previous

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest