Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby Keep The Reason » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:12 pm

One16Unashamed wrote:KTR, here the thing that baffles me. It's that a woman like Sanger can say racist things, break bread with known racist of her time, develop a program for eugenics and somehow you admire and defend her. Why?? Because she said in her biography that she had a "weird" experience. The reality is you and I cannot know for sure exactly what was said that night. However she knowingly spoke to a group of racist, she has documented statements of racist remarks.

Yet somehow in your eyes, I am a racist. Although I have never spoken at an event of known racist, haven't made racist remarks in this forum, which you accuse me of. It's this hypocrisy that baffles me.


We've been through this, :duh:. People are ALWAYS the products of their times. I admire Mark Twain as a great author, a humanist, a humorist. Even though his books often cast blacks as ignorant, and he literally names a character "Nigger Jim".

I admire H G Wells even though he too was a proponent of Eugenics. I admire Thomas Jefferson even though he owned slaves. This list can go on and on and on. You have such people too. For instance, you admire Paul even though he said things about women and slaves you wouldn't agree with today. He was a product of his own time.

The problem is that you are being purposely ignorant. More than just I have pointed this out to you. Margaret Sanger, like these other people, was just mas much a product of her times. At the time, older views of races still held sway. People WERE racist, but they were racist in IGNORANCE of what their racism was. Lincoln was RACIST too. Almost EVERYONE was racist, because at the time little was understood about racism.

So what you do though is you say, "I'm going to pretend the racism of 2015 is applicable to people who were born in 1885 and were raised in the 70 or so years of that time, and I'm going to pretend that everything they did is held to the standard of racism today."

Which is STUPID. Sanger wasn't a racist like YOU are racist. She was racist in a world where blacks were caricatured in movies, who were considered far and wide as "inferior" where social mores were not evolved, and not only that, they weren't understood, and not only that, they were even thought of yet.

The KKK of Sanger's day was a different entity than your cartoon version of it today. In those days, their anti-Catholicism was easily WAY mo0re of a concern than the black issue. But you have no idea why. The reason is because in those days, blacks were thoroughly oppressed. They didn't vote. They hardly went to college. They didn't have a foothold of power. They weren't considered. You generally could kill them outright, especially in the South, and get away with it.

You can ONLY think (sic) of the KKK as anti-black. It was deeply anti-Catholic and anti-Semitic as well. More of those elements in those days because Catholics WEREN'T able to simply be ignored. You think (sic) that Sanger "allied herself" (which she didn't even do) with the KKK because she was an anti-black racist, when she clearly states she sought them out because they represented a blockade against CATHOLICS who were anti-birth control.

This isn't just in her autobiography, it's all over the internet and in every appraisal of her and it's even what she states in her own words in the Mike Wallace piece -- her greatest obstacle was the Catholics.

But you don't pay attention to ANY of those direct, observable, solid facts, and instead you make up this fantasy version you got from your Tea Party wing nut imbeciles, and you squawk it out verbatim. And here I am, once again explaining the whole thing to you, and as I type this out there's this voice in my ear screaming:

"This idiot is going to dismiss EVERY WORD YOU'RE WRITING TO HAVE HIS WET DREAM FANTASY."

Sanger was a "racist" like the guys who created Bugs Bunny cartoons in the 40s were racists. They didn't know any differently. YOU DO. And you are STILL a big fucking anti-gay homophobic anti-black imbecile of a racist who spews racist talking points and who believes they are factual. You are 50 million times worse a racist than Sanger would ever be, even if she'd pull a train with the entirety of the KKK and had their babies. That's how far apart you and Sanger are and it's precisely because YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER. She had an excuse: She couldn't have known better. You don't have that excuse. You should but you won't bother.

Stop being so "baffled". Most everyone on the forum called you out on your overt racism when you posted this post in the "where They Stand" thread.

You. Are. A. Racist. Just because you "didn't speak to people at a KKK event" doesn't make you non-racist. Just because Sanger DID speak at a KKK event doesn't make HER a racist.

She wasn't perfect, but she was clearly way ahead of her time and she recognized issues long before others did, and the whole point of her support of the KKK is that it was brief and didn't go anywhere. she assessed them just like we do today -- not particularly smart, and just plain WEIRD. You can't even see that she came to THE SAME CONCLUSION YOU HAVE about the KKK (if you do -- I don't know what you think about them one way or the other), but she came to that conclusion via interacting with them, for which you blindly and stupidly condemn her. You and I came to that conclusion by way of the news on TV, or movies, or via the internet, all ways that WEREN'T AVAILABLE TO HER OR HER CULTURE.

Yeah, for all the smart things she said, for her courage, for her willingness to stand up and work towards feminism, reproductive autonomy, and women's health -- she was a complete and utter hero to be admired. If I were to reject all the good she accomplished in her life based on the weak accusation that simply speaking to a KKK group means she must have been a racist, well, I guess we have to reject the slave-owner penned Declaration of Independence (Jefferson), and the slave-owner Father of our Country (Washington), and the Federalist Paper author Madison also a slave owner...

In fact, let's challenge you directly: In all this racist-labeling of Sanger you're doing, what about the Founding Fathers, almost all of them slave owners who didn't consider blacks to be fully human?

Here's the list of FF Slave Holders:

Charles Carroll
Samuel Chase
Benjamin Franklin
Button Gwinnett
John Hancock
Patrick Henry
John Jay
Thomas Jefferson
Richard Henry Lee
James Madison
Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
Benjamin Rush
Edward Rutledge
George Washington

Do you reject them as clearly racists individuals like you do Sanger? If yes, then let us know. If you do NOT reject them as the clear racists they were, do you admire them? Do you admire Jefferson, Madison, Washington, etc.?
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby One16Unashamed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:09 pm

Nothing in my post was racist. The overall majority of members here are atheists and on the political left, so it's not surprising people don't agree with me. When I have real conversations with people of a different race than me, I don't hear the same arguments from them as I do with you. I hear black men and women tell me that it's up to them to be something more in life, it's up to them to get them selves out of poverty, it's up to them to obey the laws. Does that mean that they won't be racially profiled when walking down the street? NO! Or when they walk into a department store an employee will not approach them but when a white couple walks up they immediately help them? Or a white woman locks her door when a black man walks past? No, these things do happen.

Racism does happen today, but it was never the reason for the deaths of Travon,Mike Brown, or Freddie Gray as the media and the liberal leaders would have you believe. Which was and still is my original argument. Racism is something the left has used to keep blacks oppressed in America. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton are two of the biggest crooks in the black communities. Don't know if it was national news but locally after Walter Scott was MURDERED by a white officers. The Scott family told both Jackson and Sharpton not to come to Charleston. Any riots happen??? Any riots after Dylan Roof murdered nine innocent people??

I agree people are influenced by the times in which they live, however not everyone is. Not all whites living the same time Sanger was alive were racist. What did they know that she didn't? Did they have some secret knowledge? Or did they know what's right and what's wrong?

Here is how much of a racist I am. I was asked to be a sponsor for a young black man trying to get his life together and get off drugs and alcohol. I've been down that road, I know the effects of alcoholism and drug abuse. I was honored that this young man would ask me to be his sponsor. That's me, the racist helping people of a different race battle their addictions.

I honestly consider you very intelligent and appreciate your posts.
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby Keep The Reason » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:11 pm

Answer the question about the founding fathers. Until then, I'm done responding to you.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby Simplyme » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:03 am

One16Unashamed wrote:
Simplyme wrote:Since this is a site for xtians and atheist...to stay on subject.......

Jesus Christ hung out with sinners all the time. I wonder what that's about? :-)


Margert Sanger was not God in the flesh, also He gave a great parable on this with the Good Samaritan. But since I am racist I shouldn't worship a Jew right?


Jesus was not god in the flesh either. So now what?
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5958
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby Simplyme » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:15 am

KTR, here the thing that baffles me. It's that a woman like Sanger can say racist things, break bread with known racist of her time, develop a program for eugenics and somehow you admire and defend her. Why?? Because she said in her biography that she had a "weird" experience. The reality is you and I cannot know for sure exactly what was said that night. However she knowingly spoke to a group of racist, she has documented statements of racist remarks.


Here is what baffles us, if a god like yours can drown 99.9% of his creation, teach one how to treat there slaves, consider women property, will burn for eternity 99.9% of his creation, yet you do not just admire and defend him, you worship him. WHY???? Because you will suffer our fate otherwise? The reality is that you do not know he exist for sure. However your book does depict him like this. It has been "documented".
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5958
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby Simplyme » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 am

I hear black men and women tell me that it's up to them to be something more in life, it's up to them to get them selves out of poverty, it's up to them to obey the laws.


Damn, who are these "African American" you associate with?

Racism does happen today, but it was never the reason for the deaths of Travon,Mike Brown, or Freddie Gray as the media and the liberal leaders would have you believe. Racism is something the left has used to keep blacks oppressed in America. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton are two of the biggest crooks in the black communities. Don't know if it was national news but locally after Walter Scott was MURDERED by a white officers. The Scott family told both Jackson and Sharpton not to come to Charleston. Any riots happen??? Any riots after Dylan Roof murdered nine innocent people??


Damn you are a racist!!! Fuck, and it seems you are trying to justify it.

I agree people are influenced by the times in which they live, however not everyone is. Not all whites living the same time Sanger was alive were racist. What did they know that she didn't? Did they have some secret knowledge? Or did they know what's right and what's wrong?


True not all. Just most.... :-)

Here is how much of a racist I am. I was asked to be a sponsor for a young black man trying to get his life together and get off drugs and alcohol. I've been down that road, I know the effects of alcoholism and drug abuse. I was honored that this young man would ask me to be his sponsor. That's me, the racist helping people of a different race battle their addictions.


Its funny you would use this as an example of not being racist......"Oh, how grateful he must of been, massa took him under his wing" "Lordy be, what a nice man this one be"
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 5958
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby One16Unashamed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:34 am

Simplyme wrote:Its funny you would use this as an example of not being racist......"Oh, how grateful he must of been, massa took him under his wing" "Lordy be, what a nice man this one be"


Now here is a prime example of you being racist and a bigot. That you would say this is of no surprise.
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:54 am

One16Unashamed wrote:
Simplyme wrote:Its funny you would use this as an example of not being racist......"Oh, how grateful he must of been, massa took him under his wing" "Lordy be, what a nice man this one be"


Now here is a prime example of you being racist and a bigot. That you would say this is of no surprise.


No he's not being racist. He's telling you how YOU SOUND. He's saying that you're doing that "Well I have black friends" sort of bullshit. Given all the racist and bigoted nonsense you spew, you "sponsoring" some black kid ALSO comes across as smug and self-serving. I'm trying to see where the "you need Jesus" elements plug into your so-called mentorship. I'm about 95% certain your mentorship is somehow connected to your religious mission to "save souls".

Once more:

DO YOU ADMIRE THE FOUNDING FATHERS DESPITE THEIR BEING SLAVEHOLDERS OR NOT?
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby Jesus Raves » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:06 am

Keep The Reason wrote:No he's not being racist. He's telling you how YOU SOUND. He's saying that you're doing that "Well I have black friends" sort of bullshit. Given all the racist and bigoted nonsense you spew, you "sponsoring" some black kid ALSO comes across as smug and self-serving. I'm trying to see where the "you need Jesus" elements plug into your so-called mentorship. I'm about 95% certain your mentorship is somehow connected to your religious mission to "save souls".

Once more:

DO YOU ADMIRE THE FOUNDING FATHERS DESPITE THEIR BEING SLAVEHOLDERS OR NOT?

Hey, I think I missed that last part. Can you make it just a little more prominent? Maybe add spotlights, some neon, or Go-Go dancers?
User avatar
Jesus Raves
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby One16Unashamed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:11 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:Answer the question about the founding fathers. Until then, I'm done responding to you.


If I answer the question, which I already did but I will be more specific, I wonder if you would extend the same courtesy to me?

As I stated, people are influenced by the time in which they live but not everyone. Where we disagree is on WHY Sanger started PPH. In my view based on the same information that you have is that it was racially motivated.

Where the founding fathers racist? Probably so, did they own slaves because they wanted to dominate another race or was it because slavery was a part of the culture and viewed only as property? I would say it was culturally, even Jefferson knew it was wrong but didn't want to give it up.

Sanger had a plan to reduce the black population and she has been successful.
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:22 pm

One16Unashamed wrote:If I answer the question, which I already did but I will be more specific, I wonder if you would extend the same courtesy to me?


You still haven't answered the question!

The question is do you ADMIRE them EVEN THOUGH they owned slaves and were racist. We already know they were products of their times, racist, and slave-owners. You're simply repeating the set up which is not what is being asked.

Do. You. ADMIRE THEM?

How much more specific can this be??
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby One16Unashamed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:
One16Unashamed wrote:If I answer the question, which I already did but I will be more specific, I wonder if you would extend the same courtesy to me?


You still haven't answered the question!

The question is do you ADMIRE them EVEN THOUGH they owned slaves and were racist. We already know they were products of their times, racist, and slave-owners. You're simply repeating the set up which is not what is being asked.

Do. You. ADMIRE THEM?

How much more specific can this be??


Yes I admire the founding fathers. I admire the ones that freed their slaves, like Franklin. There is a difference between them and Sanger. She founded PPH on her racism, America was not founded to be a racist country. I don't view supporters of PPH as racist.

You admire Sanger for her creation of PPH that was built on racism.

“I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of it [slavery].”
—George Washington

"[W]hy keep alive the question of slavery? It is admitted by all to be a great evil.”
—Charles Carroll

“That men should pray and fight for their own freedom and yet keep others in slavery is certainly acting a very inconsistent as well as unjust and perhaps impious part.”
—John Jay, President of Continental Congress

“Domestic slavery is repugnant to the principles of Christianity… It is rebellion against the authority of a common Father. It is a practical denial of the extent and efficacy of the death of a common Savior. It is an usurpation of the prerogative of the great Sovereign of the universe who has solemnly claimed an exclusive property in the souls of men.”
—Benjamin Rush
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby One16Unashamed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:26 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:
One16Unashamed wrote:
Simplyme wrote:Its funny you would use this as an example of not being racist......"Oh, how grateful he must of been, massa took him under his wing" "Lordy be, what a nice man this one be"


Now here is a prime example of you being racist and a bigot. That you would say this is of no surprise.


No he's not being racist. He's telling you how YOU SOUND. He's saying that you're doing that "Well I have black friends" sort of bullshit. Given all the racist and bigoted nonsense you spew, you "sponsoring" some black kid ALSO comes across as smug and self-serving. I'm trying to see where the "you need Jesus" elements plug into your so-called mentorship. I'm about 95% certain your mentorship is somehow connected to your religious mission to "save souls".


Yeah he is, if I would have used that type of degrading language you and others would have crawled all over me. Again your hypocrisy is showing again.

I'm 100% sure me being a sponsor has nothing to do with me trying to "save souls". I'm not one that views the responsibility of ones salvation being dependent upon another man. The young man is a temp at my job, he stays in a halfway house and part of his program calls for him to have a sponsor. He asked and I said that I would help him. Call it bullshit if you want doesn't change the facts.

Nothing will change your views of me until I reject Christianity and Conservatism.
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:27 pm

One16Unashamed wrote:Yes I admire the founding fathers. I admire the ones that freed their slaves, like Franklin. There is a difference between them and Sanger. She founded PPH on her racism, America was not founded to be a racist country. I don't view supporters of PPH as racist.


Okay FINALLY, you admit you can admire someone even if they do or hold ethics that are counter to modern decency standards..

Yes, America WAS founded with racism very much in play. Like everything else, including Sanger, there are nuances and complexities, which is why we can say "Yeah, we can still amdire the FF's even if they were slave holders" because we know they were conflicted and they weren't perfect.

No different than Sanger.

Though it only took a few days to you admit it, now comes a reply. We could reply like you would, i.e., say HOW DARE YOU ADMIRE THOSE RACISTS! and NOW we can see why One16 is corrupt because he ADMIRES men who who not only thought blacks inferior, but actually HAD slaves!

Because that's how you approach this topic. But-- you don't apply such foolish standards to yourself, because... Well, because you're One16 and One16 doesn't have to be held to the standards he says others must hold.

So, we won't go that route. Instead, let's review the known history of Sanger and the creation of her birth control clinics.

There is absolutely NOTHING to indicate that Sanger created PPH on "racist grounds". Let's prove that by appealing to numerous unrelated sources that indirectly and direct corroborate the claim that racism had nothing to do with it.

This section is taken from Wiki's biography of her, under Social Activism

Birth control movement

Some countries in northwestern Europe had more liberal policies towards contraception than the United States at the time, and when Sanger visited a Dutch birth control clinic in 1915, she learned about diaphragms and became convinced that they were a more effective means of contraception than the suppositories and douches that she had been distributing back in the United States. Diaphragms were generally unavailable in the United States, so Sanger and others began importing them from Europe, in defiance of United States law.[10]

In 1917, she started publishing the monthly periodical Birth Control Review.[note 3]

On October 16, 1916, Sanger opened a family planning and birth control clinic at 46 Amboy St. in the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn, the first of its kind in the United States.


Let's stop right there. Look where she opened her first clinic. Brownsville, Brooklyn. Going to the demographics section on the Brownsville Brooklyn Wiki site, we read:

Brownsville Brooklyn Background Link

Poverty and crime

As early as the 1910s, the area had acquired a reputation as a vicious slum and breeding ground for crime. (In 1907, 96% of the neighborhood’s housing units were in tenements.)[5] It has been known throughout the years for its criminal gangs and in the 1930s and 1940s achieved notoriety as the birthplace of Murder, Inc. It was a predominantly Jewish neighborhood until the 1960s, when its population had become largely black and Brownsville's unemployment rate was 17 percent.


Notice that the blacks were not even there until the 1960s --Sanger died in 1966, at 86 years of age. Her BC / PPH work was done SIXTY YEARS EARLIER than blacks even lived in this area. Maybe she was such a good racist that she thought she'd reduce the black population of the future, by starting her work for clinics in a predominantly Jewish and Italian neighborhood, which it was in the 1910s.

Here's the rest of this section...

[28] Nine days after the clinic opened, Sanger was arrested. Sanger's bail was set at $500 and she went back home. Sanger continued seeing some women in the clinic until the police came a second time. This time Sanger and her sister, Ethel Byrne, were arrested for breaking a New York state law that prohibited distribution of contraceptives, Sanger was also charged with running a public nuisance.[29] Sanger and Ethel went to trial in January 1917.[30] Byrne was convicted and sentenced to 30 days in a workhouse but went on hunger strike. She was the first woman in the US to be force fed.[31] Only when Sanger pledged that Byrne would never break the law, she was pardoned after ten days.[32] Sanger was convicted; the trial judge held that women did not have "the right to copulate with a feeling of security that there will be no resulting conception."[33] Sanger was offered a more lenient sentence if she promised to not break the law again, but she replied: "I cannot respect the law as it exists today."[34] For this, she was sentenced to 30 days in a workhouse.[34] An initial appeal was rejected, but in a subsequent court proceeding in 1918, the birth control movement won a victory when Judge Frederick E. Crane of the New York Court of Appeals issued a ruling which allowed doctors to prescribe contraception.[35] The publicity surrounding Sanger's arrest, trial, and appeal sparked birth control activism across the United States, and earned the support of numerous donors, who would provide her with funding and support for future endeavors.[36]

Sanger became estranged from her husband in 1913, and the couple's divorce was finalized in 1921.[37] In 1922 she married her second husband, Noah Slee.[38]
American Birth Control League
Sanger published the Birth Control Review from 1917 to 1929.[note 4]


Next section -- still maintaining a presence in the Jewish-Italian area of Brooklyn plus she shifted AWAY from radial politics:

After World War I, Sanger shifted away from radical politics, and she founded the American Birth Control League (ABCL) in 1921 to enlarge her base of supporters to include the middle class.[39]


Once again. Notice WHO her target was. The MIDDLE CLASS.

Now-- who in their right minds would venture to think that the middle class would include BLACK PEOPLE in the timeframe between 1910-1930? Anyone want to make that claim? To suggest that this had something to do with blacks who were utterly in the lowest part of the social ladder of the time is to be disconnected from every known fact about this story.

What do we know of black in the middle class? Plenty:

Black and the middle class

The African-American middle class consists of African Americans who have middle-class status within the American class structure. It is a societal level within the African American community that primarily began to develop in the early 1960s,[1][2] when the ongoing African-American Civil Rights Movement[3] led to the outlawing of de jure racial segregation. The gains accrued by the Civil Rights Era is strongly correlated with the emergence of a new black middle class.


Whoops! there's those pesky 1960s again. Remember, Sanger died in 1966, so if we use 1960 as the starting point for blacks to even move into the middle class -- she was EIGHTY when blacks would even have been on the radar to create PPH. Yet her focus was on groups that classically were devoid of blacks

Let's continue:

The founding principles of the ABCL were as follows:[40]

We hold that children should be (1) Conceived in love; (2) Born of the mother's conscious desire; (3) And only begotten under conditions which render possible the heritage of health. Therefore we hold that every woman must possess the power and freedom to prevent conception except when these conditions can be satisfied.

Sanger's appeal of her conviction for the Brownsville clinic secured a 1918 court ruling that exempted physicians from the law that prohibited the distribution of contraceptive information to women—provided it was prescribed for medical reasons—she established the Clinical Research Bureau (CRB) in 1923 to exploit this loophole.[10][41] The CRB was the first legal birth control clinic in the United States, and it was staffed entirely by female doctors and social workers.[42] The clinic received extensive funding from John D. Rockefeller Jr. and his family, which continued to make anonymous donations to Sanger's causes in future decades.[43][44]

John D. Rockefeller Jr. donated five thousand dollars to her American Birth Control League in 1924 and a second time in 1925.[45] In 1922, she traveled to China, Korea, and Japan. In China she observed that the primary method of family planning was female infanticide, and she later worked with Pearl Buck to establish a family planning clinic in Shanghai.[46] Sanger visited Japan six times, working with Japanese feminist Kato Shidzue to promote birth control.[47] This was ironic since ten years earlier Sanger had accused Katō of murder and praised an attempt to kill her.[48]


You know something interesting about John D Rockefeller, Jr.? He was an incredible philanthropist. Here's an interesting tidbit:

Spelman College bears the maiden name of Rockefeller’s wife.

In addition to giving millions to help found the University of Chicago and Rockefeller University, the industrialist in 1882 began to donate money to the Atlanta Baptist Female Seminary. Two years later, the African-American women’s school changed its name to Spelman Seminary in honor of his wife, Laura, and her parents, Harvey Buel and Lucy Henry Spelman, who were longtime abolitionists. In 1924, the institution was renamed Spelman College.


Gee, isn't that interesting that the billionaire who donated to the education of black women would link up with the evil "racist" Sanger who was out to kill them!

And, of course, the "racist" Sanger travels around the world looking for other methods used by other cultures. Surely the hallmark of a racist-- to research other cultures and learn from them! All racists do that, of course they do!

In 1926, Sanger gave a lecture on birth control to the women's auxiliary of the Ku Klux Klan in Silver Lake, New Jersey.[49] She described it as "one of the weirdest experiences I had in lecturing," and added that she had to use only "the most elementary terms, as though I were trying to make children understand."[49] Sanger's talk was well received by the group, and as a result, "a dozen invitations to similar groups were proffered."[49]


Here's the oft-cited EVIL that she actually dared to speak to the KKK. And once again, we learn this was a dead end. For you though, it's the entire picture, even though you completely jettison that standard when you admit to admiring men who were admitted slave owners themselves. Consistency is not your strong suit.

To continue:

In 1928, conflict within the birth control movement leadership led Sanger to resign as the president of the ABCL and take full control of the CRB, renaming it the Birth Control Clinical Research Bureau (BCCRB), marking the beginning of a schism that would last until 1938.[50]

Sanger invested a great deal of effort communicating with the general public. From 1916 onward, she frequently lectured—in churches, women's clubs, homes, and theaters—to workers, churchmen, liberals, socialists, scientists, and upper-class women.[51]


While there were some black people in each of those social silos, do you really think that list of target audiences really featured black Americans? Maybe the churches and workers. But women's clubs? Theaters? Liberals? Socialists?? Scientists??? UPPER CLASS WOMEN???

What America do you live in?

She wrote several books in the 1920s which had a nationwide impact in promoting the cause of birth control. Between 1920 and 1926, 567,000 copies of Woman and the New Race and The Pivot of Civilization were sold.[52] She also wrote two autobiographies designed to promote the cause. The first, My Fight for Birth Control, was published in 1931 and the second, more promotional version, Margaret Sanger: An Autobiography, was published in 1938.

During the 1920s, Sanger received hundreds of thousands of letters, many of them written in desperation by women begging for information on how to prevent unwanted pregnancies.[53][54] Five hundred of these letters were compiled into the 1928 book.


The Birth of PPH

Planned Parenthood era
Main article: Planned Parenthood
Sanger's Birth Control Clinical Research Bureau operated from this New York building from 1930 to 1973.

In 1929, Sanger formed the National Committee on Federal Legislation for Birth Control in order to lobby for legislation to overturn restrictions on contraception.[57] That effort failed to achieve success, so Sanger ordered a diaphragm from Japan in 1932, in order to provoke a decisive battle in the courts. The diaphragm was confiscated by the United States government, and Sanger's subsequent legal challenge led to a 1936 court decision which overturned an important provision of the Comstock laws which prohibited physicians from obtaining contraceptives.[58] This court victory motivated the American Medical Association in 1937 to adopt contraception as a normal medical service and a key component of medical school curriculums.[59]


Once again, the "anti-black racist" in your imagination chose as her PPH headquarters a real enclave of African Americans -- Greenwich Village, of all places! Here's her original building:

PPH HQ

The Margaret Sanger Clinic is a building at 17 West 16th Street, New York City, (Edward Mesier, architect, 1846) which housed the Clinical Research Bureau, where Margaret Sanger and her successors provided contraception services and conducted research from 1930 to 1973


You probably know nothing about the Village but-- a place for blacks it was NOT.

This 1936 contraception court victory was the culmination of Sanger's birth control efforts, and she took the opportunity, now in her late 50s, to move to Tucson, Arizona, intending to play a less critical role in the birth control movement. In spite of her original intentions, she remained active in the movement through the 1950s.[59]


In 1936, she moves to Tucson, Arizona! Wow, right in the heart of Black America!

Black in Tucson

Here's the demographics for black in Tucson TODAY:

According to the 2010 American Census Bureau, the racial composition of Tucson was as follows:

White: 69.7% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 47.2%)
Black or African American: 5.0%
Native American: 2.7%
Asian: 2.9%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.2%
Some other race: 17.8%
Two or more races: 3.4%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 41.6%; Mexican Americans made up 36.1% of the city's population.

And here's the population census in the years that would be related to Sanger:

1910 13,193 75.2%
1920 20,292 53.8%
1930 32,506 60.2%


Not quite the target of black community, is it?


In 1937, Sanger became chairman of the newly formed Birth Control Council of America, and attempted to resolve the schism between the ABCL and the BCCRB.[60] Her efforts were successful, and the two organizations merged in 1939 as the Birth Control Federation of America.[61][note 5] Although Sanger continued in the role of president, she no longer wielded the same power as she had in the early years of the movement, and in 1942, more conservative forces within the organization changed the name to Planned Parenthood Federation of America, a name Sanger objected to because she considered it too euphemistic.[62]


She didn't even like the NAME.

In 1946, Sanger helped found the International Committee on Planned Parenthood, which evolved into the International Planned Parenthood Federation in 1952, and soon became the world's largest non-governmental international women's health, family planning and birth control organization. Sanger was the organization's first president and served in that role until she was 80 years old.[63] In the early 1950s, Sanger encouraged philanthropist Katharine McCormick to provide funding for biologist Gregory Pincus to develop the birth control pill which was eventually sold under the name Enovid.[64]


This woman almost single-handedly freed women from repressive reproductive tyranny. There is NO record of ANY racism. Never owned slaves, like your precious founding fathers did. Walked away from the KKK when she discovered they were of little intelligence.

But since you buy into the asinine right wing story about her, you simply dismiss the impact she's had on women's rights. Among your numerous bad traits, it's this sort of thing I find vile and disgusting about you.

I know EXACTLY how you're going to respond to all this information. you're going to read right past it, and say, "She spoke to the KKK therefore RACIST!" to fit your right wing Tea Bagger cookie cutter sheepopulism, and then find all sorts of excuses as to why a mountain of facts should be discarded in favor of your childish wet-dream of a fantasy that besmirches someone who went to jail and fought long and hard to relieve women of oppression.

And then you're going to somehow tie it into your stupid mythical religion, call us "god haters" and say we're persecuting you.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
User avatar
Keep The Reason
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Magaret Sanger & Eugenics

Postby One16Unashamed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:22 pm

http://www.cnsnews.com/sites/default/fi ... 202012.pdf

Black lives matter. More induced terminations than live births took place in NYC. It seems Sanger has over achieved in her efforts.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (178.23 KiB) Viewed 686 times
"In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
One16Unashamed
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am
Affiliation: Christian

PreviousNext

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest