Hillary Clinton's classified email investigation

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Hillary Clinton's classified email investigation

Postby Rian » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:04 am

I don't like discussing politics, but thought I'd check here and read people's comments on the Hillary Clinton email situation and was surprised to see there wasn't a thread on it. As someone that worked with the military and had a Top Secret classification, and who handled a few Top Secret-marked documents, I was interested in this topic and did some research.

The conservatives say there are hundreds of classified emails that were on her private non-secure personal server!!! The liberals say none of them were marked "classified" so she did nothing wrong!!!

It seems that both are right, oddly enough, from what I can tell so far. Yes, the ones that were turned over (not all, just a percentage, and chosen by her, from what I can tell) did not have "Classified" or "Top Secret" or "Confidential" or "Secret" stamped on them. However, the more I looked into it, this "positive" paled in comparison with the State Department policies that say certain types of communications DO NOT NEED to have these stamps on them; they are automatically classified. And there are a LOT of these types of emails included in the selection. So it seems less about carelessness or not following rules, and more about either being ignorant of major State Department policies or choosing to think herself above them.

Anyway, very, VERY bad judgement, to say the least. That's my preliminary analysis of the situation, and I'll be interested to follow the situation.
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Re: Hillary Clinton's classified email investigation

Postby spongebob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:48 am

I agree, either extreme carelessness or just being dumb. Why would she need a private email system for official government correspondence? This will probably eventually do her in because no matter what she says, it demonstrates that she doesn't take her position seriously enough to follow a simple rule like keeping work email on a work email server. Even my job requires that and it's not difficult to follow it unless I'm trying to do something sneaky.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby Jesus Raves » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:59 am

I don't know that it'll do her in. From what I've seen--and maybe I haven't seen enough--this is generally an issue only with avid Fox News viewers and others like them. Those are not the people who might vote for Hillary. Looks to me like the non-Fox News crowd just doesn't care about the e-mail fiasco. But I could be completely wrong. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Clintons either way, so I'm happy if this screws with her chances of getting elected--as long as that doesn't mean a Republican wins instead.
Jesus Raves

Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Postby Keep The Reason » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:27 am

She's definitely wrong. It's not the worst scandal of all time, but it can easily look like it. I agree with both sponge and JR in terms of its depth. I don't know the consequence. No sane Democrat is going to vote for any of these Republican lunatics but I will have to bite down on a pencil to keep from gagging in order to pull the lever for Hilary.

I don't trust her and I have never liked her. I only like Bill marginally better, and I too prefer either of them over the Insane Clown posse that is the Republican slate. I wish I could say the people of the USA deserve a better slate of candidates but frankly, I think the vast majority of Republicans have earned these complete losers on their side.

I would vote for Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren in a heart beat (that would be a pretty great ticket). We need someone to focus on us here at home and fix a myriad of problems. Hilary is just another corrupt politician and her hiding her emails is the least of her bad behavior.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby Simplyme » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:48 am

That is the problem with politics....you have to vote for a politician.
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme

Postby Rian » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:04 am

Well said! :D
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Postby spongebob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:49 am

Jesus Raves wrote:I don't know that it'll do her in. From what I've seen--and maybe I haven't seen enough--this is generally an issue only with avid Fox News viewers and others like them. Those are not the people who might vote for Hillary. Looks to me like the non-Fox News crowd just doesn't care about the e-mail fiasco. But I could be completely wrong. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Clintons either way, so I'm happy if this screws with her chances of getting elected--as long as that doesn't mean a Republican wins instead.

It is affecting some Democratic voters and even some former Hilary supporters. I've heard some interviews and seen some polls indicating this. To what degree I'm not sure. She's still has a pretty big lead in the Democratic race and only a couple of real competitors.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby Rian » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:56 pm

I wonder how hard her competitors will hit this issue when things get going for the Democrats ...

Rian

Postby Jesus Raves » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:28 pm

If nothing else, that'll be interesting to watch.
Jesus Raves

Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Postby mitchellmckain » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:24 pm

I was going for Hilary in 2008 until Obama got my attention. I liked her support for more scientific research, but mostly it was about rejecting McCain because he was an NRA candidate.

The Democratic candidates are looking pretty slim at this point. Chafee looks a bit better than the others. Hilary doesn't look good to me right now.

There are more to choose from over in the Republican candidates and John Kaisch has caught my eye as better than most.

I would still vote against the Republicans on general principle because I am angry with their non-cooperative obstructionist tactics. Any candidate which is Republican already has a black mark against them because of this. But I haven't ruled them out completely.
Last edited by mitchellmckain on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out of Skull for the Stars My first book is now available on Amazon.com
mitchellmckain

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:49 am

Rian wrote:I don't like discussing politics, but thought I'd check here and read people's comments on the Hillary Clinton email situation and was surprised to see there wasn't a thread on it. As someone that worked with the military and had a Top Secret classification, and who handled a few Top Secret-marked documents, I was interested in this topic and did some research.

The conservatives say there are hundreds of classified emails that were on her private non-secure personal server!!! The liberals say none of them were marked "classified" so she did nothing wrong!!!

It seems that both are right, oddly enough, from what I can tell so far. Yes, the ones that were turned over (not all, just a percentage, and chosen by her, from what I can tell) did not have "Classified" or "Top Secret" or "Confidential" or "Secret" stamped on them. However, the more I looked into it, this "positive" paled in comparison with the State Department policies that say certain types of communications DO NOT NEED to have these stamps on them; they are automatically classified. And there are a LOT of these types of emails included in the selection. So it seems less about carelessness or not following rules, and more about either being ignorant of major State Department policies or choosing to think herself above them.

Anyway, very, VERY bad judgement, to say the least. That's my preliminary analysis of the situation, and I'll be interested to follow the situation.

She was wrong, I can't think on what planet she would ever think it was a good idea to do this, in terms of security, accountability, and leading the rest of the government and contracting companies employees by example. She and others can say there was no classified material. First I don't believe them (she was one of the highest ranking offices of the government, basically everything she writes or receives should be protected, let alone the times she's actually dealing with sensitive material), second it doesn't matter, it's just the plain principle of the matter, if it was anyone but her they would be strictly punished.

And I'm not just being harsh because she's a democrat, I'm pretty sure I would feel this way about anyone, it's just the arrogance I guess it is to think that you can live beyond the standard operating practices that basically every single employee ever has to follow that gets me. And it's hard for me to find someone involved in government these days that isn't already bought by someone and who doesn't say what they think people want to hear, but says what they actually believe. I'm sick of what I see in politics if you haven't got that yet. :-)

I want to see some mathematicians run for public office. Then maybe we could actually have someone who cares about using facts and making precise statements and who could understand basic things like interest and money flow and sustainable programs instead of the debt balloons we have today.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Return to Politics