One world government

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

One world government

Postby spongebob » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:15 pm

One world government. Good idea or bad? It's something that many conservatives have spread fear about in recent years, but to me it seems like a worthy goal for humankind. Instead of wars between regions or countries, differences could be hashed out in court, without bloodshed. But for something like this to ever work, theistic ideologies would have to come a long way because one of the most obvious ground rules would be human rights and the right to ones religion. We struggle with this concept in the U.S. where it's written right into our constitution. So could it ever work on a global scale? Would it be something useful or why not?
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Re: One world government

Postby Keep The Reason » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:50 pm

spongebob wrote:One world government. Good idea or bad? It's something that many conservatives have spread fear about in recent years, but to me it seems like a worthy goal for humankind. Instead of wars between regions or countries, differences could be hashed out in court, without bloodshed. But for something like this to ever work, theistic ideologies would have to come a long way because one of the most obvious ground rules would be human rights and the right to ones religion. We struggle with this concept in the U.S. where it's written right into our constitution. So could it ever work on a global scale? Would it be something useful or why not?

I think it's a good idea and probably something in our future, but I doubt it's workable in our current level of social evolution. We're so tribal and in-group / out-group that it seems impossible to me. The number of people who are hysterical conspiracy nuts is massive, and I can't even see certain cultures being okay with freedom. It's not unheard of for a people to be given the freedom to vote, and then vote in an absolute dictatorship or theocracy that then chokes off their freedom to ever vote again.

Humans are weird.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby spongebob » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:03 pm

I agree with everything you said. I find the most bizarre problem being Americans who have irrational fears of such a thing. I remember the rants against a "one world order" back during the Bush days even though it was Bush who was saying it.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:01 pm

I think it's a good idea (every Christian also does even though they may not realize it :-)). I also see the world coming to it, I spend a lot of my personal time in the financial sphere and lets just say I am very excited and expectant for something to break, how is the energy industry going to continue with crude this low for very much longer without something happening? The financial industry is in even worse shape in my opinion, governments and corporations have got into such a debt mess I don't see any pulling out of it. I could easily see a worldwide financial collapse providing some opportunistic world leaders the chance to come in and offer a better way to do business, I think it is clear our current inter-national systems don't work, one country is only out for their best interest and it just leads to instability in currency and debt.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Keep The Reason » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:02 am

Aaron wrote:I think it's a good idea (every Christian also does even though they may not realize it :-)). I also see the world coming to it, I spend a lot of my personal time in the financial sphere and lets just say I am very excited and expectant for something to break, how is the energy industry going to continue with crude this low for very much longer without something happening? The financial industry is in even worse shape in my opinion, governments and corporations have got into such a debt mess I don't see any pulling out of it. I could easily see a worldwide financial collapse providing some opportunistic world leaders the chance to come in and offer a better way to do business, I think it is clear our current inter-national systems don't work, one country is only out for their best interest and it just leads to instability in currency and debt.

I think rather than describing why we're headed into a One World government, you're describing why we're headed into a massive World War.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:03 am

Keep The Reason wrote:
Aaron wrote:I think it's a good idea (every Christian also does even though they may not realize it :-)). I also see the world coming to it, I spend a lot of my personal time in the financial sphere and lets just say I am very excited and expectant for something to break, how is the energy industry going to continue with crude this low for very much longer without something happening? The financial industry is in even worse shape in my opinion, governments and corporations have got into such a debt mess I don't see any pulling out of it. I could easily see a worldwide financial collapse providing some opportunistic world leaders the chance to come in and offer a better way to do business, I think it is clear our current inter-national systems don't work, one country is only out for their best interest and it just leads to instability in currency and debt.

I think rather than describing why we're headed into a One World government, you're describing why we're headed into a massive World War.

Lol, no I'm not, I'm saying what we're doing now isn't working and a possible solution is a world government, or at least I am saying I can see how that argument could be made persuasively once the current world economy finally meets the end on it's current trajectory is set for.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Postby spongebob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:56 am

I like the optimism, Aaron, but unfortunately I don't believe were anywhere near ready for it. There are aspects of global cooperation and that is a very good thing, but its still a pretty minor portion of all world governance. Honestly, I think we are still many, many decades away from any such thing. I'm surprised the EU has survived the last few years with so many European countries basically going bankrupt. I applaud them for not just taking the easy route and throwing in the towel. Building and keeping a coalition of nations is really difficult and we've only scratched the surface.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Simplyme » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:18 am

Isn't a One World Government a Revelation Prophecy? :-)
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme

Postby spongebob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:47 pm

It's not a specific reference, but depending on your interpretation of Revelation, one could infer that of the Antichrist ruling the entire world (if one believes in such fairy tales). Of course the two aren't even remotely the same thing as the One World Government I'm referring to would be a democratically elected government and not a despotic ruler.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:32 am

spongebob wrote:It's not a specific reference, but depending on your interpretation of Revelation, one could infer that of the Antichrist ruling the entire world (if one believes in such fairy tales). Of course the two aren't even remotely the same thing as the One World Government I'm referring to would be a democratically elected government and not a despotic ruler.

The larger the state is the less democratic; how could be people ever have a say in something that big. That's why the truest democrats, the anarchists, always think the basic units of government should be pretty small to allow for participation. 'Democratically elected' really means retaining oligarchy as the basic system.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Postby spongebob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:38 pm

Moonwood the Hare wrote:The larger the state is the less democratic; how could be people ever have a say in something that big. That's why the truest democrats, the anarchists, always think the basic units of government should be pretty small to allow for participation. 'Democratically elected' really means retaining oligarchy as the basic system.

I don't think this is really true, for one thing. And I could certainly see something like this working much like the EU model. Smaller countries elect their representatives and from those a smaller group of representatives can form a collective government. We already do this in a less binding way through the United Nations. The difference would be to make the relationship binding. Of course I can't comment on all the details but the overall concept is not really that complicated or unrealistic. The first step would certainly be that all the nations of earth would have to be democratically elected. Despotic rulers wouldn't likely participate. Whether you like it or not, there is already a significant amount of global cooperation among the many democratic (and some even less so) countries. One could call this the embryonic version of a world government and it wouldn't be too far off.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Return to Politics