Totally legal public school pre-game Prayer

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Re: Totally legal public school pre-game Prayer

Postby humanguy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:14 am

Keep The Reason wrote:
humanguy wrote:Saying that listening to a prayer at a high school football game is the same thing as having to breath carcinogenic second-hand cigarette smoke is a "pretty good analogy" is just mindlessly reciting from the atheist handbook. If Christianity was the Communist Party, I'm betting that our esteemed moderator would have gleefully humped his share of idealogical baggage for Joe McCarthy.

The analogy was not about the harm of the smoke, you nitwit. It was about the irritation and the inability to control where the smoke goes. Patrick was not making the argument about the smokes harm but the lack of of being able to restrict where it goes.

The people who made the focus of the analogy about carcinogenics was the theist and their resident Quisling.

Do you even know what you're talking about anymore, you fucking idiot?
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Affiliation: Human

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:31 pm

humanguy wrote:Do you even know what you're talking about anymore, you fucking idiot?

Absolutely. I'm talking about analogies. Whatever the fuck you're talking about is outside of my skillset.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:32 pm

humanguy wrote:I can't read your tiny mind, Joe.

Why do you think I'm asking you to read my mind?
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Postby humanguy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:
humanguy wrote:Do you even know what you're talking about anymore, you fucking idiot?

Absolutely. I'm talking about analogies. Whatever the fuck you're talking about is outside of my skillset.

No, you pillock, I'm talking about this Quisling fixation you appear to have. Do you know who Quisling was? I'm assuming you know what the modern usage means, don't you? Your use of the word is all wrong and you make yourself look like a dumb reactionary when you call an atheist a Quisling. Do you understand why?
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:29 pm

humanguy wrote:No, you pillock, I'm talking about this Quisling fixation you appear to have. Do you know who Quisling was? I'm assuming you know what the modern usage means, don't you? Your use of the word is all wrong and you make yourself look like a dumb reactionary when you call an atheist a Quisling. Do you understand why?

Why do you think I don't know what a Quisling is?
Keep The Reason

Postby humanguy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:
humanguy wrote:No, you pillock, I'm talking about this Quisling fixation you appear to have. Do you know who Quisling was? I'm assuming you know what the modern usage means, don't you? Your use of the word is all wrong and you make yourself look like a dumb reactionary when you call an atheist a Quisling. Do you understand why?

Why do you think I don't know what a Quisling is?

I don't think it, I know it, it's obvious. This little game you're playing now, by the way, is strictly from hunger, pal.
humanguy

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 pm

humanguy wrote:I don't think it, I know it, it's obvious. This little game you're playing now, by the way, is strictly from hunger, pal.

What game is that?
Keep The Reason

Postby humanguy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:08 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:
humanguy wrote:I don't think it, I know it, it's obvious. This little game you're playing now, by the way, is strictly from hunger, pal.

What game is that?

If you have to ask the question you won't understand the answer. Just put on a sweater, Buffy, and go play with the dog.
humanguy

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:29 pm

humanguy wrote:If you have to ask the question you won't understand the answer. Just put on a sweater, Buffy, and go play with the dog.

What sweater and what dog and who is "Buffy", Quiz?
Keep The Reason

Postby Patrick Star » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:37 am

This article is a great example of the problem of prayer in public spaces, especially official meetings and events that people are required to attend. The Satanic group in Phoenix wanted to give an invocation at the city council meeting but the council wasn't interested in that, so they just banned prayer altogether, opting for a moment of silence instead. That's not being tolerant; it's not being inclusive and it's showing bias, exactly the point I was making when I said the only fair way to do this was to allow all religious groups their opportunity. Clearly, Christians are not tolerant of this idea, so why should atheists be tolerant of Christian groups who dominate public prayer at events? In a diverse society, it's a two-way street.

Actually, the moment of silence is a perfect solution. Everyone gets to pray silently to whatever gods or non-gods they choose. If you don't want to pray, you can look at your phone or eat your popcorn for 60 seconds, all you are exposed to is a little silence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... ic-prayer/
Patrick Star
resident
resident

Affiliation: undisclosed

Previous

Return to Politics