Trump... A Match Made in Heaven (TM)

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Trump... A Match Made in Heaven (TM)

Postby Keep The Reason » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:46 pm

You know, when it's strung together like it is here, the vacuousness, the obvious pandering, the sheer lack of sincerity, the obvious lying, the obvious ignorance is so overwhelming...

Wait. What am I saying??

He's the perfect candidate for the Republican religious rightwing whackaloons!

To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Trump... A Match Made in Heaven (TM)

Postby Rian » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:58 pm

I used to laugh at the people that said they would move to Canada if Bush got elected, but wow, I would consider moving there if Trump got elected. This is a horrible election!!!!!
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Postby spongebob » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:25 pm

There's a simple way out. Vote for the Democrat. Some people don't seem to acknowledge that there is such a thing as conservative Democrats. There are hawkish Democrats. There are gun toting Democrats. There are anti-abortion Democrats. There are even anti-gay Democrats, although I'm not too crazy about them. The Democratic Party has a wide tent. The Republican Part is the one with the narrow tent, so narrow they'll kick you out just for thinking about certain words. There are some Republicans who are now saying they will fight the RNC at the convention if Trump gets the majority of delegates. Wouldn't that be exciting? Trump gets the most delegates, but they award the nomination to Rubio instead. So Trump forms his own party and runs anyway. It's Hillary's wet dream. I can already hear her orgasm.

Conservatives, for all their snarling and hatred of Obama, can't pin a single thing on him that's actually been demonstrably bad for this country. They complain about the deficit and America's "image" abroad and illegal immigration and Planned Parenthood, but all of those things were happening all the way back to Regan. Whining that Obama has tarnished our image is like complaining that Roger Goodell brought head injuries to the NFL.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby Rian » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:42 pm

spongebob wrote:There's a simple way out. Vote for the Democrat.
I'm considering that, but I don't think the Dems have a good candidate, either. It's a case of picking the least bad option, IMO. I've voted Dem for president before.
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Postby spongebob » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:11 pm

Rian wrote:I'm considering that, but I don't think the Dems have a good candidate, either. It's a case of picking the least bad option, IMO. I've voted Dem for president before.

Do you have more concerns with Bernie or Hillary?

I think a Hillary administration would look a lot like Bill's administration did, minus the blue dress of course. That was a pretty solid administration. Of course Bill clashed with congress over taxes, but he did balance the budget. He reduced military spending mostly because the Berlin Wall was demolished and relations with Russia improved. And yet he did send US troops to help stop the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Stacie Cook » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:36 pm

If you want to meet God... then the cross is the place to which you go. - Alistair Begg
Stacie Cook

Affiliation: Hypocritical Christian

Postby spongebob » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Being completely serious, if a candidate of lunacy equal to that of Trump were to run on the Democratic ticket, I would have to vote against him/her. But let's be realistic about Trump. More than half of what he says he would do as president, he can't do without congress. Another quarter can't be done at all in the way he describes them, like his wall building and immigrant deportations. So that leaves less than 25% of his nutty ideas that are somewhat possible but just plain stupid, like his plans to invade Syria and take the oil away from ISIS. None of these things will happen because they would put thousands of US soldiers at risk, not to mention provoke Russia into a tougher military stance against the US. And we all know that a large part of what any candidate says from the campaign trail is nothing but hot air. My belief is that a Trump Presidency would ultimately be a lazy, do-nothing presidency. He might make a bunch of blustery speeches, but most of that hot air would just vanish into nothing. Talk about an embarrassment to the country. Does anyone remember Boris Yeltsin? I believe if Trump really attempted to do all the things he says he will do, then his presidency would look something like Yeltsin's term in Russia, but I don't believe he would actually do much of anything. I think most of his most ardent supporters would be extremely disappointed at how little he would actually get done. So in four years they would be looking for the next Larry, Moe or Curly to vote for.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Rian » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:04 am

spongebob wrote:
Rian wrote:I'm considering that, but I don't think the Dems have a good candidate, either. It's a case of picking the least bad option, IMO. I've voted Dem for president before.

Do you have more concerns with Bernie or Hillary?

Eh, I don't want to get into details - I'm already talking about religion and sex here; don't need to get into politics and go for 3 out of 3 for top contentious topics! ;)

(although I will say having had and honored a clearance myself, I'm really mad at how flippantly Hillary handled the classification thing)

Re Trump - I wouldn't mind him as a financial advisor to the president (not about what programs to spend money on, but rather things like strategies for reducing debt) but the idea of him as president just horrifies me.

Rian

Postby Keep The Reason » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:31 am

spongebob wrote:Being completely serious, if a candidate of lunacy equal to that of Trump were to run on the Democratic ticket, I would have to vote against him/her. But let's be realistic about Trump. More than half of what he says he would do as president, he can't do without congress. Another quarter can't be done at all in the way he describes them, like his wall building and immigrant deportations. So that leaves less than 25% of his nutty ideas that are somewhat possible but just plain stupid, like his plans to invade Syria and take the oil away from ISIS. None of these things will happen because they would put thousands of US soldiers at risk, not to mention provoke Russia into a tougher military stance against the US. And we all know that a large part of what any candidate says from the campaign trail is nothing but hot air. My belief is that a Trump Presidency would ultimately be a lazy, do-nothing presidency. He might make a bunch of blustery speeches, but most of that hot air would just vanish into nothing. Talk about an embarrassment to the country. Does anyone remember Boris Yeltsin? I believe if Trump really attempted to do all the things he says he will do, then his presidency would look something like Yeltsin's term in Russia, but I don't believe he would actually do much of anything. I think most of his most ardent supporters would be extremely disappointed at how little he would actually get done. So in four years they would be looking for the next Larry, Moe or Curly to vote for.

Two huge issues to remember.

1. Obama had to push forward decent changes by executive order because of obstructionist Republicans. That means Trump, with a splash of a pen, can undo quite a few things.

2. Almost certainly this seditious Congress will not approve an Obama SCOTUS replacement entry and it's likely a progressive SCOTUS will give up the ghost in the next few years (Ginsburg most likely).

Does any sane person want a Trump SCOTUS? Anyone on the planet? Anyone??
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Postby Keep The Reason » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:38 am

Rian wrote: Re Trump - I wouldn't mind him as a financial advisor to the president (not about what programs to spend money on, but rather things like strategies for reducing debt)

Any of us here could do as well. Bankruptcy and lawsuits. That's how he ran his businesses.

Look, he did one really amazing thing. He made his stupid name a brand that people get spellbound over. So many other things are utter failures. Or needed bailing out, or rely on offshore labor. He even started out with a million dollar loan from Daddy (and inherited the rest anyway). Rich people often are able to get richer simply by starting off as rich. Trumps done almost nothing to earn his wealth, and some of it is outright bullshit (like he says the Trump trademark is with $3bn. Well that's 1/3 of his claim to be worth $10bn right there. Con man.)

I wouldn't make him the guy in charge of the president's tan. He's incompetent at that too.
Keep The Reason

Postby spongebob » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:21 pm

I agree with KTR. Trump is not a great business mind. He made his fortune in a very old and common form of business, buying old real estate and renovating and/or reselling it. He has built new buildings, resorts and hotels, but he has declared bankruptcy several times. He tried to build a new airline, which failed. He started a new pro football team in the USFL, but that whole league failed. One of the worst blots on his resume is Trump University, which was nothing but an outright scam. His TV show has probably been one of his most successful ventures. Trump's personality and image probably trumps any of his actual businesses. I would give him the credit of being a bold entrepreneur and not being afraid to go after big things, but that doesn't make him an expert at anything. There are scores of minds more knowledgeable about business and economics than Trump and they aren't as crazy and offensive. Trumps campaign rhetoric basically just runs on fear.

And yeah, he might try to do some things through executive order, but there's a limit to what he can do there. It would actually be amusing to see him attempt to deport 12 million people and force Mexico to build a wall.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:30 pm

What a disaster. I went to vote just now and I ended up going with Cruz, but ONLY because he seemed like the least terrible choice. I just am blow away these are the people we have to pick from to lead this nation. Seriously? Out of the whole entire US these are the people who made the cut?! Is there no one good out there??!! What a disaster. Thank God I have a hope in something besides people.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Postby spongebob » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:45 pm

Aaron wrote:What a disaster. I went to vote just now and I ended up going with Cruz, but ONLY because he seemed like the least terrible choice. I just am blow away these are the people we have to pick from to lead this nation. Seriously? Out of the whole entire US these are the people who made the cut?! Is there no one good out there??!! What a disaster. Thank God I have a hope in something besides people.

The first thing you need to do is admit that Barack Obama is not a bad President.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:20 pm

spongebob wrote:The first thing you need to do is admit that Barack Obama is not a bad President.

Lol, he's not a good president. And what good does Obama do now? He's gone. I think the Bern has some good intentions and I think he's by far the sincerest of all the major candidates, but a lot of his ideas are impractical. Hillary is just awful, I'm sure she also has some good intentions, but she can't even hide her corruption, it's just bursting at the seams. The first thing we need to do is admit that the problem starts with us. We all need to be good and desire good before we can have leaders that come forth from us who are good. But I suppose there is no one good except the Father in heaven...
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Simplyme » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:38 am

Aaron wrote:
spongebob wrote:The first thing you need to do is admit that Barack Obama is not a bad President.

Lol, he's not a good president. And what good does Obama do now? He's gone. I think the Bern has some good intentions and I think he's by far the sincerest of all the major candidates, but a lot of his ideas are impractical. Hillary is just awful, I'm sure she also has some good intentions, but she can't even hide her corruption, it's just bursting at the seams. The first thing we need to do is admit that the problem starts with us. We all need to be good and desire good before we can have leaders that come forth from us who are good. But I suppose there is no one good except the Father in heaven...

Its funny how you seem upset about the choices you have to make on election, but are fine on the choice you make abut there being a heavenly father.
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme

Next

Return to Politics