Greatest Political Ad Ever.

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Greatest Political Ad Ever.

Postby Keep The Reason » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Aussie Sex Party Ad kicks ass in hilarity and accuracy.

In the USA, it would have to include the loony Religious Right as well as the Vatican.

Preemptive Deflection of Bullshit Clause:

Yeah, I know, I know, "It isn't all <Catholics / Protestants / Muslims / insert endless list of theists here>"

But it's enough to make "the world less good".
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Greatest Political Ad Ever.

Postby Rian » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Because God forbid we should count all the millions of quiet theists that make the world MORE good :roll:

BTW, I just finished a white paper on setting up a free tutoring service at our church for the community. But NO, can't count THAT! :roll:
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Postby Keep The Reason » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:20 pm

Rian wrote:Because God forbid we should count all the millions of quiet theists that make the world MORE good :roll:

BTW, I just finished a white paper on setting up a free tutoring service at our church for the community. But NO, can't count THAT! :roll:

it's like newspapers don't report "Everything is fine! Nothing new happened!" as headlines.

I know individuals and even some churches do good. But overall, I conclude that religions no longer do "more" good things. And where they do, doing them via secular channels is just as productive and doesn't come with the baggage of religious beliefs.

Also there's this nuance that is often overlooked. it's the "underlying motivation" factor. Without denying the impact of any goodness that comes from an act of kindness, if we examine then underlying motives we often come to a slightly but important difference in how the good is delivered. In a secular realm, the good is done for its own sake. No agenda. Nothing to promote. Just do the good because it's good to do the good. In religion, that's often not the case. There's an underlying agenda. That agenda is the aggrandizement of the religion itself. It's being done "by the church". it's good PR. It brings in the sheep, especially the errant sheep who've never come in before, or who left and might be persuaded to come back.

We've debated before about the altruism, and sure we can never fully know someone's motives, and equally as sure good coming our way is good and that counts for something, but I'd just find more value in a person doing good for it's own sake as opposed to someone doing it for some third party sake, like "the glory of god".

And then of course there's the horrifyingly bad things that churches routinely do, you know like actively work to outlaw condom use in AIDS plagued nations, and create horrible discrimination against gays, that sort of thing. That no liberal secular society I know ever tries to do.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Postby Rian » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:42 pm

I appreciate your response. I didn't expect it. We have some disagreements, but I appreciate your response.
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Postby Keep The Reason » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:42 am

Rian wrote:I appreciate your response. I didn't expect it. We have some disagreements, but I appreciate your response.

And I yours. And thanks for laughing at Hercules 13th labor.
Keep The Reason

Return to Politics