Trump

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Trump

Postby Keep The Reason » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:47 am

I was asked in a PM to explain why Trump is obviously a bad candidate, so here it is. None of these are simple "one offs" (which are arguably forgivable). Instead, these are all consistent patterns of behavior that taken as a whole are indicative of a disturbed and/or incompetent --and therefore unfit -- candidate for the office of the most powerful position on the planet.

Against my usual approach, I'm not going to link to each of these as they are easily found and have been blaring on the news every single day for a year. It's going to be a long enough post taking a lot of time without having to cite each supportive answer. If anyone cares to research these assertions, they are welcome to do so.

1. As the leading voice behind the "birther" story about Obama, he has consistently shown himself to be a dupe for an almost endless -- and laughably ridiculous -- litany of conspiracy theories as promoted by right wing talk radio nutcases. A president this gullible, and this prone to obsessive insistence of a disproved issue, is an exposure of incompetency.

2. He is overtly narcissistic. He cannot speak for more than a few seconds before the main topic turns back to himself, his asserted accomplishments, his successes (if they are such) and how he is better and smarter than everyone. A president needs competent people around him in order to gain multiple perspectives on all issues, and Trump barricades that at every turn.

3. He is incapable of taking any criticism, and takes all such criticism as a personal attack, often labeling it "vicious" even if it's a simple question. Some 25 years ago there was an author who mentioned Trump had "little hands" as an offhanded remark. Trump to this day still brings this up and actually sends notes to the guy that his hands are "not tiny". This is symptomatic of an obsessive narcissist.

4. His corruption extends to all aspects of his life. His businesses have been tied to the mob directly. He has cheated on all of his wives. His "building empire" crumbled long ago under his mismanagement. He uses lawsuits to harass, and has been sued for decades. He buys politicians; for some reason, people seem to condemn the "whore" (the politicians who can be bought) but they cheer the "john" (Trump, who buys these politicians). In fact, both sides are corrupt. He has declared bankruptcy 4 times (perhaps 6). He has corrupt "get rich quick" scams like Trump "University" and is under investigation for this at this very time. These are just some of his corruptions.

5. He is utterly illiterate about the constitution. He thinks the free press can be banned. He thinks there are 12 articles of the Constitution (there are only 7). He doesn't recognize first amendment rights (he outright claims he has read the constitution and in the same sentence denies Mr. Khan's right to criticize him). He endorses cruel and unusual punishment (waterboarding, torture, murdering innocent families who might be related to terrorists), which are not only unconstitutional but also criminal actions. His deportation desires are all unconstitutional. He doesn't understand the 3 branches of our government.

6. He has no understanding of international relations. He would abandon NATO unless they "paid up". He would threaten trade agreements with China, who we owe massive amounts of money to. He would default on US bank notes (thereby crashing the entire world's economy). He suggests that Saudi Arabia and Japan could get nukes. As of this writing, it's becoming known that in a briefing he asked multiple times, "Why can't we just use nukes?" He does not know that Russia has already invaded the Ukraine (which wants independence from Russia) by Putin going into Crimea 2 years ago-- and simultaneously claims "Sure, under Obama that happened!" (as if it's a bad thing) while at the same time says "That's what the people of the Ukraine want!" (So... isn't it good that Obama "helped" that happen?). He has no grasp of these issues and is hopelessly casting around to sound like he's knowledgeable when he's not at all.

7. He has deep ties to Russia and Putin (and lies about it back and forth, almost day after day). This is different from the international issue above, since it may be linked to his business dealings. Paul Manafort, Trump's Campaign manager, DEFINITELY is tied to Russia and may still be in their employ as a consultant.

8. He is a consummate liar. He lies about everything, big and small. It's one thing to spin something politically and cherry pick, all politicians do that (most people do that -- just look at our group here), but Trump lies about EVERYTHING, constantly, no matter how big or small.

9. He has no respect for the military. He has claimed the military is "a disaster" and has cheated vets of donations until he was caught and then was forced to pay up. He trashes a Gold Star family who has paid the ultimate sacrifice. He accepted a purple heart medal from a supporter; if he had a CLUE as to what a Purple Heart is, he would have said to that man, "No sir, you earned that and I have not done the same." Instead, he said, "I always wanted a purple heart -- this way is much easier". By itself this makes him totally unfit to be Commander in Chief of our armed forces.

10. His racism is overt. He does nothing to repudiate White Supremacists and only when directly confronted does he make half-hearted concessions that "he'll look into it". His hatred of Muslims and Mexicans is dramatically well reported.

11. He has no decisive plans or policies for anything. He refuses to outline any actual plans for anything, except to claim they are the "best, believe me, the best", and he doesn't seem to understand the cost of his crazier plans, like banning all Muslims and deporting all 11 million illegals.

12. To the extent there are "plan" for the items listed in #11, they are ALL insanely expensive-- like billions of dollars being poured into black holes. He has no leverage to make Mexico pay for anything, and in order to ramp up his so-called vetting of Muslims he'd have to increase the TSA employees 10 fold.

13. He has no health care plan except to "end Obamacare" which would throw 20 million people off health insurance.

14. He has no economic plan except a continuation of trickle down, which Moody's has noted as tanking the economy (same group shows Clinton's plan raising up to 10 million new jobs)

15. He is a misogynist.

16. He wants to fuck his daughter Ivanka.

There's more but my fingers are tired of typing.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Re: Trump

Postby Simplyme » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:33 pm

Mr. KTR.........

Can I share this on my Facebook page. I will give you credit of course.
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme

Postby Keep The Reason » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Sure fine with me.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Postby spongebob » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:32 am

17. Trumps ideas on trade are routinely scoffed at by economists. Many call them disastrous and argue they are the exact opposite of what might help the class of people that support him most. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/t ... omy-217496

18. Trump has contradicted himself so many times, it's difficult to count. All politicians do this to some degree, possibly because they learn more as time goes on and actually change their position but don't like to admit it. But Trump seems to change his mind by the minute, even with no new information. This may just be a symptom of his compulsive lying. Trump doesn't actually lie so much as just make up bullshit at the drop of a hat. You might notice that Trump rarely has no opinion or an inconclusive opinion on anything. His opinions are almost always absolute (and the best!). This is symptom of someone who has such an active imagination that they can just make up "facts" as they need them, and it's even likely that he believes them to be actual facts!

19. Trumps proposed solutions to terrorism are nothing short of bizarre. He has suggested that we need to carpet bomb the middle east, nuke the middle east or ISIS, shut down the Internet in Iraq and Syria, torture and kill the families of terrorists, and finally just cut off all immigration from places in the world where terrorism is a problem. All of these are either different degrees of insane, impossible or downright evil.

20. I don't know if Trump planned it this way, but a major portion of his most vocal supporters are white supremacists. Neo-Nazis, KKK members, White Nationalists, racists of all bents, certainly a ton of people who are on the lower end of the economic/class scale, less educated and feel that the nation owes them a Lilly-white, Christian society with no government programs despite the fact that most of these same people have benefited from various social support programs.

What we are witnessing is the possible rise of the American fascist regime. If we allow this to happen, we are all responsible. Germany was in a very similar position in the early part of the 20th century, except their country had just overspent massively on a failed war of expansion. Its economy was depressed; it's people were angry; many of them hated anyone who was different in any way and they joyously accepted this new politician who promised them the moon. Sound familiar? It should because many of those same elements are at work today and we had better take this seriously, folks. Even if Trump doesn't succeed, this movement will not die out. All of those millions of angry white people now know that their support can yield results. There are far more of them than anybody really believed and their political power is not small.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby Keep The Reason » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:41 pm

spongebob wrote:What we are witnessing is the possible rise of the American fascist regime. If we allow this to happen, we are all responsible. Germany was in a very similar position in the early part of the 20th century, except their country had just overspent massively on a failed war of expansion. Its economy was depressed; it's people were angry; many of them hated anyone who was different in any way and they joyously accepted this new politician who promised them the moon. Sound familiar? It should because many of those same elements are at work today and we had better take this seriously, folks. Even if Trump doesn't succeed, this movement will not die out. All of those millions of angry white people now know that their support can yield results. There are far more of them than anybody really believed and their political power is not small.

Yep, this is going to be seen as a unique turning point in American history. And I think some really clear lines have been drawn. The thing is, as this hootenanny of a campaign continues, it is being theorized that Trump has utterly no interest in winning this, he is doing it for a cascading number of reasons which include:

Shaking up the establishment simply because he can do it
Feeding a monstrous ego
Trying to prop up his bread and butter brand
Did it purely to leverage NBC to pick up his crappy series
and --what is deeply set in conspiracy theory land -- he is really a Democrat plant designed to ensure Hillary wins.

Any of the above would explain his endless verbal projectile vomiting of comments that would get just about anyone else lynched, let alone would kill their campaign. But in this sense, Trump is totally failing upwards. No matter what he says, his followers simply cheer him on. There were two key moments when it became crystal clear what was going on. Trump said, "I could shoot someone down on 5th Avenue and my numbers still wouldn't go down" (the uninitiated should read about something called "The Night of Long Knives"), and the second thing he said -- it sounded so stupid but it is so true and Trump himself knows this:

"We love the poorly educated!"

Yep, there's a reason to love the poorly educated-- you can lead them wherever you want using the simplest -- and so often completely obvious -- of techniques. The mindless sheeple. Those who snap at a sop and a soundbyte as if it's a policy, because it makes 'em feel good and it saves them form having to due more calorie-burning work like thinking. Yep, fascists should love the buttered bread of the poorly educated.

It is so much exactly like Germany of the 1920s and 1930s as to be haunting. It has every single plot point that led to the rise of a huge industrialized fascist state, including men of a previous bygone era (19th century thinkers) in charge of a much more advanced technology than they knew how to control.

What is most pronounced is how these people can lie, lie, lie lie lie -- in many cases, within the same sentence -- and their followers cheer them on anyway. and it's not just Trump-- the other day Rudy Giuliani claimed "Islamic terrorism didn't start in the USA until Obama got into office" -- he literally missed incorporating the single greatest terrorist attack in all of world history (let alone the USA) by ignoring the fact that 9/11 happened 7 years before Obama was even elected.

This is Hitlerian in scope. No doubt about it. Nativism, authoritarian-driven populace seeking a "strong man" (strongman) and an endless cascade of empty hyperbole: The "us" is great, the best, nothing compares (the Master Race) while the "them" is horrible, disasters, the worst, crooked, destructive, deserving of imprisonment or execution (guess who?). Literally straight out of Triumph of the Will.

And you're right-- the real problem isn't an imbecile like Trump. He should have been laughed right out of the running within weeks of his journey down that escalator. But then, so should that Chaplinesque tragi-comic figure Herr Schicklegruber. But what happened instead is both these people have peeled away a long suffering curtain of restraint against the currents of virulent racism, and now we have it fully exposed like a suppurating tumor. These people are angry, and have been pulsing under the surface all along, desperately seeking some way to explode with their seething hatreds and lash out at a social model that is evolving beyond their poorly-educated tropes and 1950s wishful thinking.

It's all been fed for years by the talk radio traitors like Coulter and Hannity and Beck and Limbaugh -- they created this monstrosity, by feeding people's anger and fueling their paranoia. And what's completely ironic about all of this is, certain important social metrics are incredibly way down. like crime and murder and so ion-- way, way down. Things are actually pretty good, but these numbskulls who wouldn't know a critical thought or how to confirm a fact if it bit them on their trachea's, only have this right wing bubble vision played out for them for the past 20 years, and they believe it unquestioningly.

That's the worst part of this. All this time, I think a lot of us have been saying something to the effect of, "These things like religion and right wing politics have a very nasty undercurrent; they are anti-human and lead to destructive choices" - -and the apologists we come across keep insisting that "It's not everyone who thinks that way, you can't blame EVERY Christian for the actions of the few who really aren't Christians anyway -- blah blah blah."

Well, guess what? There's a fuck-ton more of them than we ever thought. They were able to steamroller over the Republican party in insanely huge numbers. Trump won his primary with the most votes ever from the Republicans. What does that say about this other party? We've been warning about the Tea Party born-again fundies that got elected and everyone pretended it was nothing to be worried about, and now we have a Congress that can't even confirm a judge (because they are so busy bringing hearing after hearing after hearing against a woman they hate even though she's been cleared of criminal intent over and over and over).

Any Republican or conservative should be ashamed. Totally ashamed. We Democrats/Progressives may have a bit of a dud (but at least not insanely incompetent) in Hillary, but we had a fucking superstar by comparison in Obama (which is why he's still in the upper half in approval ratings; this is usually unheard of for an outgoing president) -- and look who the Republicans have had. George W. Bush, a clinical idiot, Sarah Palin as a VP choice, White Breads McCain and Romney and now absolutely insane #LoserDonald. Hell, even if they had Saint Ronnie right now, most of the modern Republicans and conservatives would hate his immigrant-amnesty granting, tax-raising guts.

Republicans and conservatives should be ashamed.
Keep The Reason

Postby Aaron » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:35 am

spongebob wrote:What we are witnessing is the possible rise of the American fascist regime. If we allow this to happen, we are all responsible. Germany was in a very similar position in the early part of the 20th century, except their country had just overspent massively on a failed war of expansion. Its economy was depressed; it's people were angry; many of them hated anyone who was different in any way and they joyously accepted this new politician who promised them the moon. Sound familiar? It should because many of those same elements are at work today and we had better take this seriously, folks. Even if Trump doesn't succeed, this movement will not die out. All of those millions of angry white people now know that their support can yield results. There are far more of them than anybody really believed and their political power is not small.

I agree. I worry about becoming Germany as well.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Postby spongebob » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:47 pm

I want to piggy-back on some things KTR said. The wingnuts in the GOP are a direct creation of the insane blabber-mouth AM radio personalities and Fox News hosts and a few authors. These people have, for the last couple of decades, been spreading sheer hatred for anything one millimeter left of their ultra-right position. I feel that people like Teddy Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower, even Ronnie Reagan are turning over in their grave right now because of this. This new breed of right-winger is not conservative; they can only be described as fascists. I feel that there is actually a legitimate place for true conservative politics in our system, but the GOP is no longer a conservative organization. And because of the decades long onslaught of lies and exaggeration, there is now a huge following of people, almost all white, lower class, lower educated, entitled people out there. And I want to emphasize the word ENTITLED because this is precisely their feeling. They feel entitled to a country that meets their and only their standards. This is evident in their rhetoric; lets make America great again; let's take back America...etc. Progressives and centrists want justice for all people; we want good education for everyone, we want safe neighborhoods and we want sportsmen to have the opportunity to own guns. We want women and people of all races to have good employment opportunities. We want people of all sexual orientations to feel safe and confident and to function in society like everyone else. We want people of all religions to happily practice their beliefs and to respect those of others. I don't believe those things are too much to ask, but these things are anathema to someone like Hannity or a Tea-Partier. These people want to set the standards such as, Christian only, whites only, heteros only, no dirty people from the hood and so on. They want that iconic, fantasy life of a 1950's movie. They want Mayberry R.F.D. So for two decades the GOP has been courting these under-rock dwellers and now that they have them, they realize just how destructive a force they are. In my opinion, they've gotten exactly what they deserve.
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Keep The Reason » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:28 pm

spongebob wrote:I want to piggy-back on some things KTR said. The wingnuts in the GOP are a direct creation of the insane blabber-mouth AM radio personalities and Fox News hosts and a few authors. These people have, for the last couple of decades, been spreading sheer hatred for anything one millimeter left of their ultra-right position. I feel that people like Teddy Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower, even Ronnie Reagan are turning over in their grave right now because of this. This new breed of right-winger is not conservative; they can only be described as fascists. I feel that there is actually a legitimate place for true conservative politics in our system, but the GOP is no longer a conservative organization. And because of the decades long onslaught of lies and exaggeration, there is now a huge following of people, almost all white, lower class, lower educated, entitled people out there. And I want to emphasize the word ENTITLED because this is precisely their feeling. They feel entitled to a country that meets their and only their standards. This is evident in their rhetoric; lets make America great again; let's take back America...etc. Progressives and centrists want justice for all people; we want good education for everyone, we want safe neighborhoods and we want sportsmen to have the opportunity to own guns. We want women and people of all races to have good employment opportunities. We want people of all sexual orientations to feel safe and confident and to function in society like everyone else. We want people of all religions to happily practice their beliefs and to respect those of others. I don't believe those things are too much to ask, but these things are anathema to someone like Hannity or a Tea-Partier. These people want to set the standards such as, Christian only, whites only, heteros only, no dirty people from the hood and so on. They want that iconic, fantasy life of a 1950's movie. They want Mayberry R.F.D. So for two decades the GOP has been courting these under-rock dwellers and now that they have them, they realize just how destructive a force they are. In my opinion, they've gotten exactly what they deserve.

Three cheers-- spot on all the way through.

Of course, we all reside on the same boat in the same choppy waters and these right-wing bred and nurtured idiots are completely happy shooting holes in the hull to "let out the bad water".

This was a lesson that went totally lost on most Americans until it was too late and Tea Party illiterates took over our Congress. These people have thwarted every single positive piece of legislation for years. they consistently burn our money trying endlessly to bring hearing after hearing against those they think are outside of their moral sphere, they tried to stop AHA in a variety of ways 54 times. Fifty four! Imagine if they spend HALF that energy on an education bill.

But they hate knowledge, and they hate education, because both are diametrically opposed to the blind faith they want the rest of humanity to follow (or so they believe).

This, above all, is proof positive how a lack of education coupled with uncritical beliefs in specious claims -- particularly that there is some super entity who has rules of behavior that we ALL must follow -- does disastrous harm in all directions. Furthermore, and here's where people seem to get most uncomfortable, we can look directly to the moderates who allow it and create a forest to cover these trees of destruction.
Keep The Reason

Postby Keep The Reason » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:57 pm

As a follow up, I just came across this letter making the social media rounds:

Republicans Deserve the Ass whipping

Dear Republicans,

You remember how this started, right? You got in bed with the ‘I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it anymore’ Tea Party. You saw the Harvard Law Review Editor who just happened to be black and you lost your minds. You called him a Socialist. You said he never read the Constitution. You said he was a Muslim as if that were some slight when Muslims have fought and died for this country right beside citizens of every other religion. It was never enough. You never seemed to run out of the venom you spewed.

You played to the fears of white, male America. “He’s coming for your guns!” How many did the Great Gun Grabber actually get? You stared at twenty children slaughtered in Sandy Hook and turned up your palms and said, “This isn’t the time to talk about gun control.”

You listened and half-believed the conspiracy theorists who talked about the great conspiracy of Sandy Hook and too many of you accused the parents of being actors. The best of you, who used to care about your country first and your party second, kept silent and eventually began to participate in the madness.

You sold your souls because you saw after Romney lost that you weren’t going to be sitting your man in the White House anytime soon. Reince Priebus presented his autopsy of that election. To even be competitive, you have to carry 40% of the Latino vote and 45% of the women’s vote. Let’s not even consider the black vote which Romney lost by more than 90 points! Romney only got 27% of the Latino vote.

DID YOU LEARN FROM IT?
You certainly swelled your ranks with a fresh infusion of “populist” infantry who had the audacity to say Obama was going to invade Texas in Operation Jade Helm. You said that he was born in Kenya and a secret agent of the Muslim Brotherhood. You were more angry at Hillary than at the murderers at Benghazi. You stood there, silent and complicit as every maniac with a mouthpiece or radio show lied and incited their listeners to hatred and worse. When your cries of wolf fell on deaf ears, you turned up the volume.

The night Obama won, the establishment met in secret and promised to do everything to make him a one term president even if it meant hurting the country. That’s what your partisanship wrought and what did you achieve? You wasted millions in taxpayer money to flog the Benghazi horse and you voted to repeal Obamacare sixty times. While you strained to do anything to make the President look bad, you shut down the government and cost the economy $24 billion. While you played brinksmanship with the full faith and credit of our government, what you really achieved was to convince the vast majority of Americans that you are incapable of governing.

This time you went to the natural end of your rope and jumped the shark with Trump costing you stalwart republicans like George Will, Charles Krauthammer, Bill Kristol and any steward of the Nation’s security. You nominated a man for his success in business even as many of his businesses were going bankrupt and are under investigation for fraud. You apparently learned not a thing from the political train wreck that was George W. Bush.

But this time is different and you know it now. There is no hiding the fact that white supremacists and the full complement of other racists and xenophobes have embraced your nominee publicly and loudly. The last Univision poll Jorge Ramos reported had Trump with an 83% disapproval rating among Latino voters. The party that claims to be the defender of “family values” sent dreamers back across the border or deported their parents so they have to visit them across a fence. Not only have you proven that you care nothing for their lives but your nominee intends to deport eleven million of them .

You’ve turned your back on the very heart of America by refusing immigrants citizenship because you know who your constituency is afraid of and what gets them to the polls in droves. You’ve refused to accept the economic reality that your supply-side economic dogma has failed everywhere it has ever been tried and it has wrecked economies in almost every red state to the point that we have a negative population growth because millennials are so saddled with debt that they can’t afford children.

What you’ve shown is that there is no amount of money you will not spend to go to war but there is no service or entitlement you will not cut for the people who fight those wars. Our veterans can’t even get routine healthcare because of your opposition to VA funding. You sold everyone on the premise that the free market and private business would run everything more efficiently than the government. Yet recently the Justice Department announced that it will no longer renew contracts with the private prison industry after they proved over and again that they had no interest in reforming the abuse of the people they incarcerated and that the civil penalties you imposed were weak and ineffective.

You loved the free market so much that you put in a rider in Medicare Part D that forbids our government to negotiate prices for any drugs. The result for that unbridled “free market” efficiency is $800 bags of saline solution! We pay four times more for healthcare than other industrialized countries and we get worse results. Where is all this free market efficiency you keep talking about? Medicare runs perfectly well and it’s run by the government that you hate.

Then there’s the post office that you have done everything imaginable to break. You set a precedent never seen anywhere in the world by sneaking in a rider that requires it to fund its pension costs 75 years in advance! You only wanted that so you could say that the post office which normally runs a profit is in the red.

LIES HAVE A CUMULATIVE EFFECT AND NOW YOU’RE GOING TO PAY THE PRICE.
There are so many lies that you’ve told that you can’t even spot the truth anymore. You’ve fought to destroy the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act in the vain hope of crippling the regulations that protect the people. You send buffoons to the Senate who toss snowballs in the Senate chamber as proof that climate change is a hoax while ignoring the fact that this past July was the hottest month ever since records began to be kept. Meteorologists are now saying the deluge of rain in Louisiana is a 1000 year flood that’s done more damage than Katrina. What’s your answer to these very obvious and troubling facts? You nominate the father of birtherism to say that climate change is a lie.

Fortunately for humanity, the millennials are now the largest voting block in American history and they aren’t stupid enough to fall for your lies. They’ve had a sample of them and they know what it means when Republicans refuse to help ease the costs of student loans. They know what it means to be debt slaves because that’s the American dream you’ve left for them and it makes them sick. They see you voting to repeal the ACA 60 times while they struggle to find housing.

That’s what your intransigence and recalcitrance has bought them. They’re not happy about it either. You’re going to lose the presidency and the senate. You succeeded in gerrymandering the house so much that you might just keep it for a few more years but you are about as popular as Nickelback right now. That you won’t get that allusion is demonstrative of how divorced you are from the youth you’ve fettered to protect your own bank accounts.

The conservative site RedState.com is desperately trying to put their finger in the dike.

But the current polling is so bad, as Donald Trump trails Hillary Clinton, that the toss-up states don’t even matter anymore. Excluding the toss-up states, RCP has Clinton up 272-174, which means Trump could run the table of NV, AZ, IA, MO, OH, GA, NC, FL and he still loses 272-266.
I grew up in a city that was a Republican stronghold back in the ’80’s, in the midst of a love affair with the trickle-down economics of Ronald Reagan, and I attended many gatherings in which your representatives at the time said all the things in private that you still don’t have the courage to say out loud.

In a long article, “A Tale of Two Conventions,” in the August 8th issue of The New Yorker, Jill Lepore–no supporter of your candidate–had the courage to say out loud that as the progressive movement began its gradual slide to the right as far back as the 1940’s,

“a big problem with postwar liberalism was liberals’ failure to really listen to the continuing populist criticism of the idea of progress” (Christopher Lasch. The True and Only Heaven).

In short, we have blinded ourselves to the flood waters of destruction rolling in from Tea Party Republicanism because our naive belief that all is well and our refusal to look reality in the eye have kept us too long trapped by our own dangerous idealism.

We might be less guilty than you, but we are not innocent.

In the eighteenth century, philosopher Edmund Burke famously said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Toward the end of her article, Lepore offers this startling bit of history:

“In 1992, the year Bill Clinton was elected, a letter to the editor appeared in a small newspaper in upstate New York. ‘The American Dream of the middle class has all but disappeared, substituted with people struggling just to buy next week’s groceries,’ the letter writer argued. ‘What is it going to take to open up the eyes of our elected officials? America is in serious decline.’ It was written by a young Timothy McVeigh.”

Dear Republicans, good men and women are finally fed up. Watch your backs. You deserve what’s coming.
Keep The Reason

Postby spongebob » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:12 am

21. Trump's insistence that the election will be "rigged" and that polls are "rigged" have the potential to do far more than just annoy everyone who isn't a rabid supporter. They could threaten the very foundation and security of our country. As we've said here many times before, in a civil society words matter, particularly when they come out of the mouth of a major party candidate for POTUS. I can imagine scenarios where Trump loses and yet continues to reject the legitimacy of the election, claiming it was rigged. What might his supporters do? If even a small fraction of his wingnut nationalists take this seriously, it could create a rise in violence and home grown terrorism the likes of which we have never seen in this country. We live by the assumption that cooler heads will always prevail and that only the tiniest fraction of nutjobs will act on their insane impulses. But what if this changes the equation? What if support for Trump is strong enough to cause scores or even hundreds of them to act on it? What if that number is in the thousands? All I can say is that we could be in for some of the most jarring and violent scenes this country has witnessed since the Civil War. The rule of law, peace, the economy, all of that is far more fragile than it seems when things are going well. What happens when dozens of cities are overtaken by insane white supremacists? What happens when the American version of ISIS rises up? All those guns in the hands of nutjobs who have military training. I think a lot of people will suddenly be rethinking their 2nd Amendment ideals.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/d ... ion-227252
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Simplyme » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:21 am

Ok....you guys are scary the shit out of me!!!!!!

Please, leave me alone in my ignorance. :-)
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme

Postby Keep The Reason » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Watch this -- it's actually a ray of hope... if only #LoserDonald would go for it.

John Oliver Dump Trump
Keep The Reason

Postby spongebob » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:51 am

Who else noticed that David Duke made a statement on a radio show declaring that his movement, the Alt-Right or KKK or White Nationalists, had taken over the GOP? This is basically a mockery of the Republican Party. The Alt-Right opposes most of what the GOP stands for. A purge is in order, folks. What I think is happening is that the racists who used to be part of the Democratic Party, but migrated to the GOP, have now eaten the GOP and emerged as the American Fascist Party, the AFP, if you will. Where will conservatives go? What will they do? And who knew Juliani was such a scum sucking racist himself?
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Postby Keep The Reason » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:55 pm

spongebob wrote:Who else noticed that David Duke made a statement on a radio show declaring that his movement, the Alt-Right or KKK or White Nationalists, had taken over the GOP? This is basically a mockery of the Republican Party. The Alt-Right opposes most of what the GOP stands for. A purge is in order, folks. What I think is happening is that the racists who used to be part of the Democratic Party, but migrated to the GOP, have now eaten the GOP and emerged as the American Fascist Party, the AFP, if you will. Where will conservatives go? What will they do? And who knew Juliani was such a scum sucking racist himself?

The thing is, the combination of voluntary illiteracy and lies people pretzel themselves over is really the core issue. To lay this out simply:

1. Originally, the Democratic Party was more or less founded by one of the most genocidal inclined presidents, Andrew Jackson, a slave owner.
2. The Republican party, essentially created by Lincoln, was generally anti-slavery and thus anathema to the Southern democrats.
3. Both parties were founded in opposition to what they stand for today.
4. Post civil war, to be a Republican in the South was commensurate with being a traitor.
5. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, Republicans, who were descendants of constitutionalists and we're by and large conservatives, adopted the Southern Strategy:

In American politics, the Southern strategy is the plan in which the Republican Party gained political support in the Southern United States by using a strategy appealing to racism against African Americans.[1][2][3]

During the 1950s and 1960s, the African-American Civil Rights Movement achieved significant progress in its push for desegregation in the Southern United States. Backed to a greater degree by the Republican than the Democratic Party, The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, in particular, largely dismantled the system of Jim Crow laws that had enforced legal (or de jure) segregation in the South since the end of the Reconstruction Era. During this period, Republican politicians such as Presidential candidate Richard Nixon worked to attract southern white conservative voters, most of whom had traditionally supported the Democratic Party, to the Republican Party,[4] and Senator Barry Goldwater won the five formerly Confederate states of the Deep South (Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina) in the 1964 presidential election. In the 1968 presidential campaign, Nixon won Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee, all former Confederate states, contributing to the electoral realignment that saw many white, southern voters shift allegiance from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party during this period.

6. The flip-flop was begun. Democrats leaned more central left/liberal. There were many die-hard Democrats in the South who were Democrats in name only; they were known as "Dixiecrats":

The States' Rights Democratic Party (usually called the Dixiecrats) was a short-lived segregationist political party in the United States in 1948. It originated as a breakaway faction of the Democratic Party in 1948, determined to protect what they portrayed as the southern way of life beset by an oppressive federal government,[1]

or "Blue Dog Democrats":

The Blue Dog Coalition, commonly known as the Blue Dogs or Blue Dog Democrats, is a caucus of United States Congressional Representatives from the Democratic Party who identify themselves as conservative Democrats.

It was formed in 1995[6] during the 104th Congress to give more conservative members from the Democratic party a unified voice after the Democrats' loss of Congress in the U.S. Congressional election of 1994.[7] Blue Dog Coalition membership experienced a rapid decline in the 2010s, holding 14 seats in the 114th Congress.[8]

The most notable recent person who fell into this category was Kim Davis. Outright homophobe, she was a Democrat, which gave millions of Republicans cause to scream, "See? It's DEMOCRATS who are racists!" And of course, like most things Republicans embrace, they got schooled really swiftly:

Kim Davis Switches Parties

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Switching Parties to Become a Republican
by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis, a longtime Democrat, says she is switching to the Republican Party because she feels abandoned by Democrats in her fight against same-sex marriage.

Davis' made the announcement while in Washington, D.C., to attend the Family Research Council's Value Voters Summit, said Charla Bansley, a spokeswoman for Liberty Counsel, which represents Davis in her legal battles.

"I've always been a Democrat, but the party left me," Davis said, according to Bansley.

Davis sparked a national firestorm by refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples after the Supreme Court effectively legalized gay marriage in June.

Yes, in a way it's true. The Democratic Party left racist homophobic imbeciles like Kim Davis a long time ago-- 50 years ago. I recall having a field day with One16unashamed (maybe it was Chap, but I think it was One16) over this. Dinesh D'Souza made a film (I'm not linking to it, since fuck D'Souza), trying to pin the Democrats as the "pro-slavery" group (which they were. 100 years and more ago) but thankfully his stupid propaganda film tanked -- because anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that the Republicans are the party of overt racists

7. Phase two, which began in the late 1970s, was for the Religious Right to take over the Republican Party, which they did with the election of Reagan who said outright to right wing pastors, "You're not allowed to endorse me-- but I'm able to endorse you!" (wink wink) to wild cheers:

Reagan Endorses Evangelicals

Friday, August 21, 2015 -- Today marks the 35th anniversary of the day GOP candidate Ronald Reagan stood before 15,000 Evangelicals and uttered the sentence that one historian called “the most famous lines of the Age of Evangelicalism.” Reagan told the crowd: “I know you can’t endorse me. But I endorse you, and what you are doing.”

One of the lead organizers of the event was Texas evangelist James Robison. And, though only 25 years old at the time, one of Robison’s key helpers in pulling the event together was Mike Huckabee.

This was the ascent of Falwell and Robertson and the "Moral Majority" and the mounting of attacks against women's rights and the maximizing demonizing of gays.

8. What began to break this theocratic/racist juggernaut was the impact of AIDS. At some point, people's compassion about the tens of thousands of suffering and dying people-- people known to their families to be decent people who were now suffering horribly -- as well as it slowly dawning on even the most meat-headed idiots that AIDs is a disease that heteros and white Christian people could also get from a mere blood transfusion and die horribly from, had the effect of wearing down the walls of alienation. Particularly when celebs starting dying in full press view and people were contracting it worldwide from heterosexual sex. Suddenly, like it is with all these types of things, when it hits home, you suddenly give a shit about it.

9. Millennials grew up during this. Their view of society is that of a broader spectrum of racial inclusiveness, and of gays. Their friends and family include these people who before were pressured to remain in the shadows. So now, they are of voting age, and that is why you see the massive outpouring for someone like Bernie Sanders, who despite being an old white guy -- represents the tolerance and people-focus of the liberal 60s, up to and including a very much aware perspective that there's no Jesus coming out of the sky to save us like the religious right keeps relying on. Look at Sanders' audience. It's obvious who his primary supporters are.

10. And Trump's popularity with an ever-diminishing slice of the American populace is overtly clear as well. Look at his audience. He aligns with who? Democrats? The "party of racists and religion"? Nooo, he aligns with the old white guy party-- the most virulent racists and homophobes and most vocal conservative Christians out there-- the Republicans. He's one of those old white guys who is going to lose his power, so he believes, even after a literal lifetime of one failure after the next. And the outright, overt and literally hilarious pandering and massively transparent lying he does-- it's not even remotely subtle -- washes over these folks like a warm wave of inclusion. Just look at the groups that happily endorse him White Nationalists or Neo-Nazis and the friggin' KKK. People say he's not responsible for that? Of course he is, they support him because his policies mesh with theirs.

The old saying: "Show me your friends, and I'll tell you who you are", sure does apply here, doesn't it?

But authoritarians have a hard time seeing the obvious. Raised on the virulent lies of the conspiracy theory laden right wing propaganda machine, religiously inclined at the get-go (i.e., faith claims hold enormous sway with them and facts/truth/proof is a distant end runner in the race to believing in things) and desirous of a paternal leader who will "fix everything for us" (sound familiar? It should, in both directions), nurtured on World Net Daily, Alex Jones, and literally the entire plate of talking puppet heads on Faux News (and some of those gullible people are on this site today), it is no struggle for these people to just buy into all sorts of utterly laughable nonsense.

Tell me where I'm off the track.
Keep The Reason

Postby spongebob » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:12 pm

So now it's been revealed that Trump's charitable foundation contributed to a Florida DA running for re-election. That DA then declined to seek an investigation into Trump's con game university. The IRS has fined him because this kind of contribution is a clear breach of the law.

And today we find out that Roger Ailes is now a Trump campaign adviser.

Oh, the humanity!
~Bertrand Russell

spongebob

Next

Return to Politics